Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank looks toast. Like he realizes he’s not getting an unlimited leash by a coach with no other options like last year.

JB has some coaching to do there. Frank has to play better for us in March.
He needs to pick it up. His play doesn’t warrant him being on the court.

would we better with a backcourt of Tyus, Boeheim with Frank coming off bench if Buddy falters?

Not sure but JB said in his presser(in classic snippy JB tone) when asked about this, that Tyus can’t play the point all the time and that Frank is going to play. Although he then sorta jokingly said Frank will play unless he does nothing again the next 2 games. I assume he was kidding. Maybe

Frank looks toast. Like he realizes he’s not getting an unlimited leash by a coach with no other options like last year.

JB AND Gerry both need to reach Frank. Gerry has been through it all too as a key Cuse PG. He's got the fire and needs to impart it on FH

Frank needs to pick it up in particular. He’s played like crap the last 3 games but the good news is we went 2-1. With the stretch we have coming up hopefully this will motivate him and get him out of this funk.
Hopefully a little pine time lights a fire under him.

It is a very mixed bag! Tyus is OK at the point if Buddy is hitting like today. On the other hand with Buddy in there instead of Frank, we give up more on defense. Plus it is more of a bomb to the opposing team to have us bring a three point shooter going 4 for 5. Not sure we would be as effective with Buddy starting and Frank off the bench. I would rather start Frank and see if he is on or off, then hope Buddy is hitting.
Disagree. Frank has been horrible on defense. His effort is lacking where Buddy is making plays on defense.

What the heck is going on? 64% of Frank's shots this year have been 3 pointers, and he is averaging only 3 shots per game inside the arc. He is suppose to get into the paint because he is suppose to be the PG. He just settles for the three and isn't doing the job of a point. Those numbers tell the story and his shooting is woeful besides. When Pascal isn't engaged we have to go small. It's hard to score with these two on the floor at the same time.

Disagree. Frank has been horrible on defense. His effort is lacking where Buddy is making plays on defense.
You might want to watch some of the tapes to see who's man usually is open for the 3 point shots against us.

Frank needs open road in front, and behind him...
He sees Buddy Gillon, I mean, Buddy Boeheim in his rearview mirror...

A couple of reasons -- because they have performed well in the past [most notably, Frank], because they are experienced veterans who have won / been contributors in big games against top flight teams, and because I expect seniors to perform better than to just be non-factors.

I wonder if Frank is disengaged -- it seems like as Buddy has ascended, Frank has descended to the point where if he isn't hitting shots, he isn't making any other contributions.

Brutal spot for JB. He's got a senior that appears halfway checked out and who has played poorly most of the year. And the guy that is now taking some of FH's run is none other than JB's son.

Yeah, I definitely get what you're saying about Buddy's firepower coming off the bench.

As to defense, though, I'm not sure we're giving up as much with Buddy as we would have been earlier this season. Partly because Buddy has gotten better, and partly because Frank hasn't been very good there either.

Wholeheartedly agree on your second point. I see little if any difference in their defensive performance.

In recent games Frank has played more like he thinks he's a shooting guard, and he's not consistently a good enough shooter for that role. If that's all he can bring to the table, we're probably better off letting Tyus handle with Buddy at the 2.

This is exactly right. Frank never came back from his injury. I have no idea whether the problem is mental or physical but last year he was pretty good at getting to the basket and this year he can't do it at all. The reason Buddy is taking his minites is because they are both nothing more than spot up shooters and Buddy is better at it.

I have no idea what is wrong with Chukwu, he was better last year and seems to have regressed. Perhaps the forward rotation of Brissett-Dolezaj-Moyer with all 3 being big covered for him more than I realized?

See Carey shouldn’t be sent to Siberia.
The short leash killed the kids confidence.
Carey shouldn’t be getting starters minutes but from him to be so far off the bench and with Howard’s disengagement it has given Buddy those minutes out of necessity.
I don’t think Carey has gotten the leash that Buddy got.
Now Buddy has earned his minutes but what has happened with Carey is a shame.
I really wish that Carey got more confidence from the staff.
He has struggled but he has to feel like one mistake and he is done. That isn’t good.

Frank is not the answer and never has been the answer. People have been harsh a few times when I say that but we need an up tempo offense and he is not an up tempo guy. He is solid on defense, doesn't turn the ball over and seems like a great guy. But...wait for it...is NOT the answer!

Last edited:
See Carey shouldn’t be sent to Siberia.
The short leash killed the kids confidence.
Carey shouldn’t be getting starters minutes but from him to be so far off the bench and with Howard’s disengagement it has given Buddy those minutes out of necessity.
I don’t think Carey has gotten the leash that Buddy got.
Now Buddy has earned his minutes but what has happened with Carey is a shame.
I really wish that Carey got more confidence from the staff.
He has struggled but he has to feel like one mistake and he is done. That isn’t good.
Agree and this is where I think the assistant coaches need to make some of their money. They need to help manage message, the player...hell even Boeheim. This is were Battle as a team leader also needs to share some wisdom. Really the program is not on steady enough legs from a recruiting standpoint to lose this young man in my opinion.

I loved Howard as a freshman bc he seemed to have a really good feel for passes. Did he force them? Sure, at times. But many times guys just weren’t ready to catch it when he got inside. He’s almost a different player from what I remember. His value is entirely on making jumpers.

This was me as well. I hated all the heat he took as a Frosh - he had a knack for getting into the lane and seemed to have really good vision. He wasn't ready to be a PG yet, but he seemed to have that skill-set waiting in the wings if he could get under control. His shot seemed to be the bigger concern.

Now, I don't know what I'm watching. His only decent games seem to be when everyone else lights it up and he can get some openings off of that...which isn't quite what you want from your PG.

"Hey, if everyone else opens up the offense by knocking down shots, our PG might have room to operate or hit some shots too!" Bad, bad, bad.

At best he's a game manager that can walk the ball up of late...Even the defense isn't great. :(

What the heck is going on? 64% of Frank's shots this year have been 3 pointers, and he is averaging only 3 shots per game inside the arc. He is suppose to get into the paint because he is suppose to be the PG. He just settles for the three and isn't doing the job of a point. Those numbers tell the story and his shooting is woeful besides. When Pascal isn't engaged we have to go small. It's hard to score with these two on the floor at the same time.

Does Frank even get within the 3 point line 3 times a game with the ball? Serious question.

If you removed breakouts, I say it's doubtful.

Did anyone notice towards the end of the game JAB sitting next to FH on the bench with his arm around him. It's the softer side of JB. Kind of like when he was interacting with the fans who wanted Buddy to shoot. When does JB ever do that.

I feel sorry for Carey at this point. He is LOST! He isn’t seeing anything. Looks like he never touched a basketball in his life.

He was put on the shelf so long that his confidence is shot.

...and I'm a fan of BOTH players.

What the heck is going on? These two guys are seniors who've both been through the wars. We can't afford for them to be non-factors like they have been lately.
As frustrating as they were to watch today, they both have been difference-makers in victories as recently as few games ago, and they will be again. I think with both of them, a lot is about matchups, and perhaps health as well. It's not ideal, but at least there is some depth on this team for JB to turn to when they are ineffective.

I understand why you want them to do well, but what would give you the idea - based on their prior body of work - that they could at a high level consistently?

In my opinion, the two of them are the biggest reasons why this program is where it is at this point. They flat out have been consistently inconsistent for the last 2-3 years. Just like the program.
Welll they won’t be here next year and we can start a thread as Who will replace them as the biggest reasons that we stink.

Agree and this is where I think the assistant coaches need to make some of their money. They need to help manage message, the player...hell even Boeheim. This is were Battle as a team leader also needs to share some wisdom. Really the program is not on steady enough legs from a recruiting standpoint to lose this young man in my opinion.

Boeheim is a bully and some kids don't respond to that. Hopkins used to played good cop. Boeheim will have a hard time playing both roles. The assistants we have now are maybe too junior or too milquetoast to serve as a counterweight and keep these kids focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom