Frank at SG next year | Syracusefan.com

Frank at SG next year

B

Brooky03

I'm moving on to thinking about next season. I suggest others do the same, but if you have hope left for this season, please hold onto it for the rest of us and ignore this thread.

Now that that's out of the way; how does everybody feel about Frank starting at SG next season? If Carey is as good as advertised, he should get the lions share of the minutes at PG. It's not JB's style to bump an upperclassman from his starting role for a freshman, but what about just moving Howard over a spot? If Howard continues to shoot like he has, I really like the idea of him playing as a guard without the ball in his hands nearly as much as this season. I think he could thrive in that role and really turn some opinions around. What does everybody else think? Good option, or is there a better alternative next year?

I know Hughes is supposedly impressing folks in practice, but he was less than impressive at ECU. I don't doubt he'll be a contributor, but I'm much more comfortable with the idea of Frank playing most of the minutes at SG.

**I'm obviously operating under the assumption that Tyus is gone. We've seen in the past that a player doesn't have to be good at basketball to get drafted, so even if his slump continues, I'm leaning more towards him leaving than staying.**

I'm moving on to thinking about next season. I suggest others do the same, but if you have hope left for this season, please hold onto it for the rest of us and ignore this thread.

Now that that's out of the way; how does everybody feel about Frank starting at SG next season? If Carey is as good as advertised, he should get the lions share of the minutes at PG. It's not JB's style to bump an upperclassman from his starting role for a freshman, but what about just moving Howard over a spot? If Howard continues to shoot like he has, I really like the idea of him playing as a guard without the ball in his hands nearly as much as this season. I think he could thrive in that role and really turn some opinions around. What does everybody else think? Good option, or is there a better alternative next year?

I know Hughes is supposedly impressing folks in practice, but he was less than impressive at ECU. I don't doubt he'll be a contributor, but I'm much more comfortable with the idea of Frank playing most of the minutes at SG.

**I'm obviously operating under the assumption that Tyus is gone. We've seen in the past that a player doesn't have to be good at basketball to get drafted, so even if his slump continues, I'm leaning more towards him leaving than staying.**

Carey isn’t a PG either. He’ll step into Battles spot.

Maybe Bazely can play PG. he has a better handle than Frank.

Bazley will get a lot of touches and those touches will include him dribbling a lot. Some of that will include taking the ball up the court and (hopefully!) our team trying to run some. He's going to be like a point forward.

Bazley will get a lot of touches and those touches will include him dribbling a lot. Some of that will include taking the ball up the court and (hopefully!) our team trying to run some. He's going to be like a point forward.
I would love that but I don’t think the running will happen unfortunately. He will start FH at the 1 and we can’t run with him. Hopefully Carey ends up taking that over and can push tempo with FH at the 2. We will see.

I would love that but I don’t think the running will happen unfortunately. He will start FH at the 1 and we can’t run with him. Hopefully Carey ends up taking that over and can push tempo with FH at the 2. We will see.

Carey is going to play big minutes. He can run. Bazley can run. Oshae will be here (I'm confident). He can run. If Bourama gets healthy, he can run.

If we don't run, it is beyond stupid.

in a perfect world, Frank would be a decent 3rd or 4th rotational guard

I think that’s a little hyperbole. He’s our best shooter. He would be better as a shooting guard. If you think he’s best as a rotational guard what does that make Tyus. He’s shooting worse from 3 than Cooney ever did.

It's not a joke. Carey is a scoring guard.

Well I know he's a scorer. But I was under the impression he's still a PG (like a Westbrook). All of the recruiting sites list him as a PG, from what I've seen. It would seem counter-intuitive to move him to SG for Howard's senior year only to move him back to PG the following year. I'd think the logical move, assuming Tyus jumps, would be Howard primarily at SG, but I'm no hall of famer.

What do we need a PG for anyway. Not like we use them for anything. We need players that can make shots. We can play all forwards out there for all I care, just play people that can make a shot once in a while.

Or maybe he’ll continue to progress and be a Gbinije next year.

Blows my damn mind that people are going “well, he is what he is” when he’s almost single handedly keeping us competitive with Battle’s progressing to maintain consistency

Blows my damn mind that people are going “well, he is what he is” when he’s almost single handedly keeping us competitive with Battle’s progressing to maintain consistency

You make a good point. Howard is a lot more productive as a junior that Gbinije was. Our fans act like these guys are finished products the minute they step on the court.

You make a good point. Howard is a lot more productive as a junior that Gbinije was. Our fans act like these guys are finished products the minute they step on the court.
Our fans complain about one and dones then absolutely batter players that are actively progressing and growing in our system infront of our very eyes.

9CnPVIW.gif

Totally understand and have considered Battle gone after this year but do we really know if he gets a second round grade that hes gone? If hes fine with that great but let it play out . Unless of course he has told the staff hes gone no matter what

Im now in the boat that Battle will not be drafted if he does not expand his game.

Battle is the SG next year. Frank will be the PG with Carey and Hughes first off the bench

His skills have always pointed to him being a better off guard. Now that he's proving to be a pretty good shooter, than lines up even more. What's wrong with thinking the kid who has a weak handle, questionable decision making and turns it over 5x a game shouldn't be more comfortable as the 2G?

Well I know he's a scorer. But I was under the impression he's still a PG (like a Westbrook). All of the recruiting sites list him as a PG, from what I've seen. It would seem counter-intuitive to move him to SG for Howard's senior year only to move him back to PG the following year. I'd think the logical move, assuming Tyus jumps, would be Howard primarily at SG, but I'm no hall of famer.

Was Dion a PG? It's like that. When Carey has the ball, he's looking to score. Westbrook scores a lot but gets a ton of assists. Carey doesn't. He doesn't play like a PG. I'm not about labels but I wouldn't call him a PG.

There's growing the program, but there should also be a desire to not average 4.4 TOs
per game. That is the 2nd worst number of the guys qualified for the top 100 in
assists-per-game, behind some Trae Young guy ...

But seriously, it's kind of like a repeat of Scoop's junior year: taking too many (bad) shots,
turning the ball over too much, and trying to do too much. Tone down those three, and
everyone's happy.

Kev

His skills have always pointed to him being a better off guard. Now that he's proving to be a pretty good shooter, than lines up even more. What's wrong with thinking the kid who has a weak handle, questionable decision making and turns it over 5x a game shouldn't be more comfortable as the 2G?
Thats not an option this year, and it doesnt appear to be an option next year. Also, im not arguing against him being better suited as a 2. Im arguing that this kids done a great job and doesnt deserve the constant bashing he receives on a weekly basis here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom