Frank at SG next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank at SG next year

There's growing the program, but there should also be a desire to not average 4.4 TOs
per game. That is the 2nd worst number of the guys qualified for the top 100 in
assists-per-game, behind some Trae Young guy ...

But seriously, it's kind of like a repeat of Scoop's junior year: taking too many (bad) shots,
turning the ball over too much, and trying to do too much. Tone down those three, and
everyone's happy.

Kev

Scoop had 100 turnovers as a junior, way below Frank's pace and a little on the good side of average for SU's starting point guards. I guess they're analogous in that both players founds themselves on teams with limited options and sometimes took too many shots (trying to do too much, as you said), but Frank's play is so much worse than Scoop's that I don't think there's much to compare here.

Carey is going to play big minutes. He can run. Bazley can run. Oshae will be here (I'm confident). He can run. If Bourama gets healthy, he can run.

If we don't run, it is beyond stupid.

I have to ask - why aren't we running more this year? We started out running more, but then Frank started putting the brakes on whenever he heads down the floor and pulls it out to set up our (awful) half court offense. I have to think that's on Boeheim, who has probably reamed Frank out about turnovers. But if you are risk averse at PG, then you don't try to make that risky pass on the break, or you don't take it to the rim. That's what I see out there.

Now, with Ennis, you could almost understand his reluctance to run the fast break, because he was slow footed and so good at finding people in the half court. But we are averaging probably the fewest assists per made basket that I can ever remember as a team. I can understand Boeheim wanting to control tempo because we don't have enough shooters, but you can't turn down chances for easy buckets.

Scoop had 100 turnovers as a junior, way below Frank's pace and a little on the good side of average for SU's starting point guards. I guess they're analogous in that both players founds themselves on teams with limited options and sometimes took too many shots (trying to do too much, as you said), but Frank's play is so much worse than Scoop's that I don't think there's much to compare here.

Scoop played on limited teams? News to me. We were 1, 3, and 1 seeds the year he got the most minutes.

The issue I have with the Frank posts is he's playing 50 times better than anyone expected in the offseason. Definitely above what was projected. Yes he turns it over, but hes easily our best shooter and driver on the team. It seems like to me Frank gets the heat where others get a pass for whatever reason.

The issue I have with the Frank posts is he's playing 50 times better than anyone expected in the offseason. Definitely above what was projected. Yes he turns it over, but hes easily our best shooter and driver on the team. It seems like to me Frank gets the heat where others get a pass for whatever reason.
Absolutely. I had very low expectations for Frank this season. He has surpassed all of the offensive ones, except I thought he would continue his high assist to TO rate. Instead it got worse. Which, to be fair, would probably happen anyway when someone goes from last man to 1/2nd. His 3pt shooting has been most surprising to me I didn't think he had it in him.

Too much falls back on Frank because we have only 2 other scoring options, and of the 3 scorers (including Frank) he is the only one who can create for teammates. Look a the assist numbers for Battle & Brissett, compared to Frank.

Next season, there will be more options and Frank will have help in handling and initiating offense. Not excusing the unforced TOs, but it makes a difference if there is a 2G who can help create for others, and better balance in the offense.

Scoop played on limited teams? News to me. We were 1, 3, and 1 seeds the year he got the most minutes.

Agreed. I think people forget about the last minute or so versus Marquette because Scoop was on the Arinze injury 1 seed team. Every guy on that teams seems to get a pass because that team was so good.

Some people on this board had high expectations for him, I had hope, not expect,
and I'm happy with most. I'll take the across the board statline for him right now,
if he'd cut out the 1-10 or 6-20 shooting performances and cut out the 6 or 7 (or 9)
turnover games. He's not yet a good enough shooter to be given carte blanche to shoot
his way out of a slump. And honestly at some point, a coach at SU will set up a player
in the low post, toss the ball to him, and have him take a quick turnaround. That might
make it a bit easier on the PG.

i'd posted in other topics ... 1-2 less bad shots, 1 less turnover, that's all fandom is
asking for. not wholesale changes, just a couple better decisions per game. that's it.

kev

I think it’s a lot closer their junior seasons than you might think. Granted frank plays 5mpg more than scoop did. That can be good or bad. But their overall shooting percentages are the same. Frank is higher in 3pt%. Frank scores more. Frank has more rebounds and steals. Scoop has .4 assts per game more but as you know, your teammates making shots helps drive that too. The biggest difference is frank right now averages 1.5 turnovers more per game. And frank has the ball in his hands more. Defensively I’d take frank but at the very very least it would be a push. They are very similar junior seasons.

fruitless to speculate on next year until you see who's actually lacing up sneakers next september.

Franks turnovers are exacerbated by our anemic offensive production.

Every possessions seems so critical that you just want to strangle him when he dribbles off his foot or drives into traffic.

He also seems to get mauled regularly that never gets called.

fruitless to speculate on next year until you see who's actually lacing up sneakers next september.

Battle
Howard
OB
Baz
CBD

Chukwu
Hughes
Carey

don't care about the rest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members