frank is such a wild card | Syracusefan.com

frank is such a wild card

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
its hard to predict anything with this team with how unpredictable frank is. if hes playing well we can beat any team in the country. if hes making mindless turnovers and pounding the ball for 20 seconds every possession baylor can easily beat us.

i think battle will play well, injury was a blessing in disguise. as long as hes 100% the 2 weeks off will do him wonders. hes played more minutes than just about anyone last 2 years.

frank, its on you, god help us!!

When Tyus comes back, he cannot pound the ball into the floor looking for an opening. As someone else said, he cannot play hero ball.
The two games without Tyus showed very good ball movement and player involvement. I hope Tyus was seeing all that happening and go with the flow when he comes back.
If he decides he will play hero ball he'll be taking away the potential from Frank and everyone else.

Last edited:
Franks most recent games are better than Battles most recent games.
shooting-wise,,,,,,100%!

but gaurding the 3 and turnover wise...hell no.

frank needs to cut that out...those are mental mistakes

shooting-wise,,,,,,100%!

but gaurding the 3 and turnover wise...hell no.

frank needs to cut that out...those are mental mistakes

Numbers wise Battle has been worse than Frank on defense this year. People haven't admitted it here for some reason. He's been just as susceptible to not guarding shooters.

Frank and Tyus need to play less minutes.
Both should play 25-30 mpg and be fresher/more energetic as a result.
Playing them 35+mpg wears a player down and they can’t give the same effort on both ends.
With Buddy able to play 20-25 mpg neither guy should be iron men anymore.

Jim Boeheim’s short rotation has brainwashed us into just accepting guys play 35+ mpg.

Guys like Hakim Warrick, Jonny Flynn, Carmelo Anthony, Senior Michael Gbinije or Rak Christmas shouldn't sit down.

However Tyus Battle and Frank Howard and Trevor Cooney aren’t those guys.
Our short rotations have just become accepted like the bench can’t play because those guys are the starters.

Well next year with the depth we should see like it was when we had Scoop, Waiters and Triche.
None of them played more than 28 mpg.

Numbers wise Battle has been worse than Frank on defense this year. People haven't admitted it here for some reason. He's been just as susceptible to not guarding shooters.
What numbers? Do they have a statistic that measures whether you run a shooter off his spot?

I am more worried about Tyus ball dominating than Frank. The ball stoppers are Tyus and Oshae. However we attack the 1-3-1 we need to do it with quick, decisive aggression.

And Battle has not been good at that either.
I'm just saying there isn't a defensive statistic to measure how effectively our guards are contesting shots. It's all in the eye test and how comfortable the shooters appear to be.

Frank and Tyus need to play less minutes.
Both should play 25-30 mpg and be fresher/more energetic as a result.
Playing them 35+mpg wears a player down and they can’t give the same effort on both ends.
With Buddy able to play 20-25 mpg neither guy should be iron men anymore.

Jim Boeheim’s short rotation has brainwashed us into just accepting guys play 35+ mpg.

Guys like Hakim Warrick, Jonny Flynn, Carmelo Anthony, Senior Michael Gbinije or Rak Christmas shouldn't sit down.

However Tyus Battle and Frank Howard and Trevor Cooney aren’t those guys.
Our short rotations have just become accepted like the bench can’t play because those guys are the starters.

Well next year with the depth we should see like it was when we had Scoop, Waiters and Triche.
None of them played more than 28 mpg.
i get what you are saying but i also think that with frank - he struggles with maintaining a good level of play when he comes in and out of the game a lot...he needs that rhythm and confidence that he wont be yanked off a bad play or two.

I think his "i've waited 4 years for this" mentality makes it hard for him to maintain when he isnt in the game for most of it - i think he needs to play a lot of mins - just needs to work on turnovers and not leaving shooters open.

please go watch frank in the last few games - in the UVA game he was especially putrid at closing out shooters - left em WIDE open A LOT.

I expect it to improve in the tourney - he actually did better in the ACCT vs duke at this. so i think it is just effort.

With battle i think it has just been kinda sluggishness at times but i expect it to imprve in the tourney too...

they ought to know by now that leaving 3 shooters open is lethal to this team's chances...hopefully they do.

As Frank goes, we go.

A serviceable Frank, with an emerging Buddy and healthy Tyus should be enough. Throw in a solid Oshae and contribution from one of Marek, Pascal, or really anything from bench, and we can get to sweet 16 / elite 8.

People seem to have forgotten that Boeheim wants to win games, first and foremost, not stick to a stubborn system or belief, if he doesn't think it gives him the best chance to win.

If you look back over the years, when we have guys who are better than their backups, and they offer the "full package", he will ride that player into the sunset.

But when one guy doesn't have the full package for his position, Boeheim has shown that he will play more guys, go deeper into the bench, to try to find combinations that work for given in-game situations.

Lydon or Marek at center isn't his first choice; it's him adapting to the talent he has to work with. You don't see guys play 35 minutes a game out of position; he tries to find combinations that work for maybe 8 minutes at a time during a game.

As Frank goes, we go.

A serviceable Frank, with an emerging Buddy and healthy Tyus should be enough. Throw in a solid Oshae and contribution from one of Marek, Pascal, or really anything from bench, and we can get to sweet 16 / elite 8.

If Frank is flat, I hope we give Carey 4 minutes with about 8 minutes to go in the first half, just to inject some pace into the game and make the defense step back on its heels a bit.

If they zone us, I hope Buddy and Eli go nuts, and Tyus and Oshae drive the lane all game long and live at the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom