Frank tells how JB taught him to make FTs... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank tells how JB taught him to make FTs...

My son got a big kick out of JB's coaching video where he's ragging on his players for not being able to shoot while making 40 in a row

I still have that VHS haha! The expression on Sherm's face is priceless during that free throw segment. JB just nonchalantly tossing in free throw after free throw, while quipping "I don't know why we can't make free throws, it's so easy, just bend your knees and follow through every time, boom." Great stuff.

I would like him to get more minutes, but it’s hard to see Jesse coming out of the game when he has been so spectacular. He seems like a great kid who’s really working hard. Hopefully, he can come in when we play cupcakes. (Are we playing any more cupcakes??) His development will be crucial when Jesse makes too many fouls.
He’s going to get plenty of minutes given the combination of Jessie’s tendency to commit atrocious fouls and referees tendencies to grant him phantom ones

I am curious if Frank practices at the 4…..anyone know?

Jesse currently deserves every second he is getting on the court….no way I would any of his minutes away

I'm not holding my breath for that. If he makes it back, then bonus for us. But it's been so long, I have no idea what he will bring to the table when/if he returns.
Agreed. I'm not sure it's worth any hand- wringing. I don't expect him to play again (this is purely speculative, because, as I have no inside knowledge of his fitness).

Only Jesse can keep himself from over the back fouls.
Many over the back fouls by big guys are committed by tired players who think they can just reach to make up for not getting into proper position. A few more minutes for Frank could definitely help Jesse stay fresh and avoid some ticky tack calls.

My son got a big kick out of JB's coaching video where he's ragging on his players for not being able to shoot while making 40 in a row

Yet another example of how the soundtrack really enhances the movie.

Watching Frank's foul shots in the second OT and then watching the JB coaching video, it looks like Frank used JB's two-handed foul shooting style right to the letter:

Last edited:
Bought that back in the Day (With Autograph) Now it's free !
Bill Sharmon told of front Rim vs back Rim sight,Do the same routine consistently and if the Ref holds the ball to long Get off the line and reset

I still have that VHS haha! The expression on Sherm's face is priceless during that free throw segment. JB just nonchalantly tossing in free throw after free throw, while quipping "I don't know why we can't make free throws, it's so easy, just bend your knees and follow through every time, boom." Great stuff.
I also had this video back in the day and used it to learn how to shoot (that and a Larry Bird video). I remember Boeheim emphasizing 1 or 2 dribbles and shoot the shot. Guys had lengthy routines (Alonzo Mourning) and still missed the shot. I couldn't believe my eyes last year when I saw Griffin take free throws with no dribbles, he just shot it in rhythm if he got a decent pass from the referee.

Counting them way before they get to the rim

I kind of disagree. with the way Jesse is playing id try to ride him. He is an offensive threat out there whereas Frank isnt anywhere close. His D is also much better. He is very close and at times is a dominating force out there. If Jesse isn't tired or in foul trouble he should be in the game. That being said JB needs to find some mins for Frank but i think in the 10-15 min range would be ideal. Jesse has been a huge surprise this season in a great way, his game has come a very long way.
I would like to see a stretch of Frank and Jesse with Cole Buddy and Joe on the floor together.

I finally threw the VHS tape out last summer. Great memory.

Before we moved to Michigan many years ago, JB held a clinic at West Genny and my oldest son attended. He was taught how to dribble by Sherm and how to play D by Herm Harried. I filmed it and still have it.

To round out my son's education, I taught him how to hook his man and hand check. Sherm, JB, and Herm left those parts out...