Fran's Game 2 Press Conference | Ga Tech | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fran's Game 2 Press Conference | Ga Tech

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I haven’t much cared for the press conferences this week or last week. Nothing too unusual because coaches love speaking in cliches and not actually providing any insight. But, I don’t think I learned anything today outside of Marlow being out 6 weeks and HCFB is related to James Heard.
What do you expect to learn other than the mind frame of the coach? Almost all the questions we already have our own formed opinion. I listen to hear the perspective of the coach to see where hes at.
Football isnt rocket science so alot of the answers are not groundbreaking. Im not saying its easy just that it can be hard to do things that your opponent are trying to prevent you to do. We installed our Def, we arent gonna see a huge schematic change. Players gotta be tougher, do their job and trust their teammates. Possibly due to injuries scheme might change but you arent going to announce that at a press conference.
Maybe the fault is on the reporters bc of their questions?
What would you ask the coach?

Last edited:
Complete opposite of how Fran was when describing him to the point our media thought they were close. This guy acted like he didn’t really know Fran and goes into a story about how long ago it was.
Fran clearly said that they wouldnt talk, they are not like that.
Fran is just more respectful obviously. If the spotlight was on me and my career crossed paths with someone I would never say I dont really remember the guy. No class.
Fran does his homework clearly not this other guy.
Also, Fran was on a team of 85ish players and this other guy was on the coaching staff of 10ish.
Have a feeling hes gonna really get to know Fran Sat.

To me thats bulletin board material...Learn to show respect and have class...Lets show this dummy what its all about. Lets go!

Last edited:
The entire front 7 seemed a step slow to me. Playing in a read-and-react scheme can make you look slow. Hopefully, we play with more of an attack style in the future.
Team speed in general on defense seems like an issue. It will become more obvious as we play up in competition.

I suspect getting more speed on defense will be a focus in recruiting going forward.

Not going to dispute he had a bad game Saturday, but McDonald was our 4th leading tackler last year. Maybe rrlbees can chime in on how he graded out last year?

He didn’t grade very well. Mid 50s which is below average.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I haven’t much cared for the press conferences this week or last week. Nothing too unusual because coaches love speaking in cliches and not actually providing any insight. But, I don’t think I learned anything today outside of Marlow being out 6 weeks and HCFB is related to James Heard.

What would like like to have heard??

I'll cage that with it better not be information the opposing coaches would also like to hear...

I think I heard 2 important things:

1. Fran thinks the defensive issues were focus and intensity issues. He believes the unit can and will do better under the schemes as coached and that they showed some first game jitters/not ready to play and needed to play harder, make tackles, and be more focused.

2. He is responsible for these shortcomings. There is no sidestepping accountability.

Not to say we don't need more speed on defense but I think we need to give these guys in fairness a few games as this is a new defense, likely new keys they need to call out, different reads, different language, etc. Also weave that in with different looks they get in game from the offense. As much as you like those things to be learned in practice and group sessions, game experience is different. I would wager we start to see the defense playing a bit faster as more game reps happen.

I’m not sure what people expect from press conferences. Reporters ask questions, coaches answer questions.

Aside from a handful of Nick Saban tangents that I found interesting, there’s typically not much besides nuts and bolts in these.

We were also spoiled for years by Jim Boeheim’s press conference style where he gave a 10 minute monologue of everything in his head after a game and then also snapped on a reporter or two for entertainment.

We were also spoiled for years by Jim Boeheim’s press conference style where he gave a 10 minute monologue of everything in his head after a game and then also snapped on a reporter or two for entertainment.

Spoiled?? I stopped watching them because of that...

The entire front 7 seemed a step slow to me. Playing in a read-and-react scheme can make you look slow. Hopefully, we play with more of an attack style in the future.
Kinda what shocked me when i saw him getting blocked easily. They may have tried changing his technique andif so tell him to go back lol

Something I just learned watching gatech player interviews is that ERob was co-DC at aTm with the current DC at gatech.
Kinda interesting, hadnt seen that mentioned anywhere.

Defensive team speed is no slower than in recent years, and SU was able to patch together a few pretty good defenses at times in the 3-3-5. I think players are just adjusting to new schemes and adjustments. I’m confident it will get better. Hopefully soon.

One thing I didnt hear as question was about the handful of questionable calls/replays. Did Fran send some in for review to the league? Did he think about asking for a replay?

For the coaches out there, is our current system more of a read/reaction system than the old one? It seems like if you're attacking downhill at the snap that can make a player seem like he's playing faster than if he's reading and reacting.

Defensive team speed is no slower than in recent years, and SU was able to patch together a few pretty good defenses at times in the 3-3-5. I think players are just adjusting to new schemes and adjustments. I’m confident it will get better. Hopefully soon.
This is true. However, haven’t several of our players bulked up significantly over the summer? I know that was an aim of the new staff. It’s was discussed a great deal by the Syracuse media, that our players had gotten a lot bigger and many had added weight. Maybe this is contributing to being a step slow too?? They try to retain quickness when they bulk up, but that isn’t always possible. Maybe guys like McDonald have decreased speed because he couldn’t run down ball carriers before they got the edge this past Saturday. You’re right, our 3-3-5 depended on lighter players who appeared to be adequately fast, but this is now a bigger, heavier group that appeared a step slow. I don’t know, I think we’ll undoubtedly see Saturday. If the same issues persist, I think we might have a physical and not a mental problem.

What would like like to have heard??

I'll cage that with it better not be information the opposing coaches would also like to hear...

I think I heard 2 important things:

1. Fran thinks the defensive issues were focus and intensity issues. He believes the unit can and will do better under the schemes as coached and that they showed some first game jitters/not ready to play and needed to play harder, make tackles, and be more focused.

2. He is responsible for these shortcomings. There is no sidestepping accountability.
He says a coaching point i always thought was so true, if your the coach, u either teach it that way or u allowit and either way its on u. i love that

King Joseph needs TO EARN some play!!!!

Don't understand what he would've changed about the Ohio game, and not sure how a small DE fits against a run heavy offense in GT.

Franco wants that freshman DE to take over for our starting linebacker. A position that I'm guessing he hasn't practiced even one play.

Maybe it's that kind of out of the box thinking we need. Or don't need. Ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom