Fran's Game 2 Press Conference | Ga Tech | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fran's Game 2 Press Conference | Ga Tech

King Joseph needs TO EARN some play!!!!

Don't understand what he would've changed about the Ohio game, and not sure how a small DE fits against a run heavy offense in GT.
I think the main DL we'll eventually see is Diggs-Perry-Watson-Jobity. I know Jobity is listed at DT but I felt he was stronger and held up better than Jacquez on the edge.

Yes, the defense looked slow. You know what can make even a very fast defense look slow? Hesitation. If you aren't perfectly reactive to your scheme yet at game pace, you start a step behind. That I can assign to being the first game of the season. To me the biggest problem was ATROCIOUS form on tackling. Everyone either dove for the ankles, or just tried to hit people with their shoulders and knock them down. This should be a swarming defense. Grab on and your help should take them to the ground if you can't.

Last edited:
For the coaches out there, is our current system more of a read/reaction system than the old one? It seems like if you're attacking downhill at the snap that can make a player seem like he's playing faster than if he's reading and reacting.

It would fit with with Fran's comments.

They collectively were in the "read" phase a step too long and hence were a step late on the react portion, meaning closing angles that opened, poor tackling/missed tackles because of arriving late, etc. (tho the tackling form was poor on a fair number on-time tackles as well.)

I hope that is the case.

The alternative reality of we're slow and really bad at tackling could make for a rougher year than planned.

Last edited:
Most of the players on defense either started or played a lot of minutes last year, and no one accused them of being slow. (I think deuce is a step slow and does not change direction Well). I do think what we are missing are the kind of players like Shamarko, or Trill, or Tebucky or Donovan In the secondary. Guys that always seem to be in the right place . Usually that skill is instinctive and very hard to “coach up”. Cinco and Barron are close, but not on the same level. If you look at the guy Ohio had, I would trade him for any of our safeties or Star when it comes to diagnosing a play and tackling. But other than throwing underneath to Owen, nobody really got beat in pass coverage, which is half the battle. We’ll see going forward If the same speed we had last year shows up under the new scheme.

I agree 100%. He won’t get any faster but he can take better angles and learn to use his hands to get off a block to be more effective.

His speed isn't an actual issue but there's something about him that is going to make some folks question his athleticism... same thing that will make some assume he's a gym rat, high iq, fundamentally sound high motor player...

The truth is he and Wax both consistently got washed because our d line play was dogshit. We had 2 lbers trying to fill 3 gaps laterally vs down hill and the 2 they chose always had a free blocker to meet them and rb always had cut back lane.

When our DL set the point of attack by fighting against pressure and or DEs set edges vs getting caught 5 yards in the backfield all will be fine with our LB play and our pursuit angles. Good news is we have plenty of physically capable players so coaches don't have to continue to play those that don't have their mentality correct.

Same goes for DBs... I don't expect flat footed, tentative tackling to continue or guys won't play including Barron who I expect to bounce back hard from an absolute stinker and set the tone.

Good news is film from the Ohio game will be imperative to coaches hammering home means of improvement to players capable of acting upon said intel.

His speed isn't an actual issue but there's something about him that is going to make some folks question his athleticism... same thing that will make some assume he's a gym rat, high iq, fundamentally sound high motor player...

The truth is he and Wax both consistently got washed because our d line play was dogshit. We had 2 lbers trying to fill 3 gaps laterally vs down hill and the 2 they chose always had a free blocker to meet them and rb always had cut back lane.

When our DL set the point of attack by fighting against pressure and or DEs set edges vs getting caught 5 yards in the backfield all will be fine with our LB play and our pursuit angles. Good news is we have plenty of physically capable players so coaches don't have to continue to play those that don't have their mentality correct.

Same goes for DBs... I don't expect flat footed, tentative tackling to continue or guys won't play including Barron who I expect to bounce back hard from an absolute stinker and set the tone.

Good news is film from the Ohio game will be imperative to coaches hammering home means of improvement to players capable of acting upon said intel.
McDonald is 6’4 230. If he can effectively play linebacker in a 4-2-5 in the ACC he will be an NFL draft pick. They don’t make too many linebacker with that size and speed. The fact is that isn’t going to happen. I have watched every game Derek was played at least twice. He isn’t athletic enough at that size to play linebacker in this system IMO. And it’s not because he’s white. You implying I based that on his skin color and not his play is insulting.

McDonald is 6’4 230. If he can effectively play linebacker in a 4-2-5 in the ACC he will be an NFL draft pick. They don’t make too many linebacker with that size and speed. The fact is that isn’t going to happen. I have watched every game Derek was played at least twice. He isn’t athletic enough at that size to play linebacker in this system IMO. And it’s not because he’s white. You implying I based that on his skin color and not his play is insulting.
I don't remember one play in McD's career where I thought, "Wow, great hit" or "nice play!"

Big question is do we have anybody better than him for this scheme? Hoping it's a case of HCFB deferring to seniority to start the season but quickly pulling him in favor of more athletic guys.

Last edited:

There's a large margin between NFL level athlete and serviceable collegiate level player. In your own words "they don't make too many" is accurate and I agree.

Point was that he's not some club foot pity play and any LB will struggle with that DL play... if Derek's lack of NFL speed is detrimental we've got other bulls to run. I thought Goddard would be the guy given preseason rumblings.

As to the insulting part, sorry you feel that way, truly was not my intention. Was in jest, I thought obviously enough, and poking fun at 100s of posts of the like over the years in here and elsewhere which are funny to me.

Franco wants that freshman DE to take over for our starting linebacker. A position that I'm guessing he hasn't practiced even one play.

Maybe it's that kind of out of the box thinking we need. Or don't need. Ever.
Then he will be too slow to react!!!!

He's a perfectly fine solid ACC starter, but he's not much more than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom