Fran's Game 4 Press Conference | Holy Cross | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fran's Game 4 Press Conference | Holy Cross

Was not happy the construction banging didn’t stop when he requested it right away. I expect he’ll take ownership of that when Matt Park interviews him in the Perry’s spotlight. ;)

for everyone who wants to crush Elijah and/or Fran for the 4th and 9 call you can. I also hope you give the respect for owning it.

That's what a leader does. It's his fault. Not his player. Not someone missing an assignment. Not his DC making a bad call, etc.

His fault. Owns it. I give him respect for that.

Grow from it.
These are the words. Good words, agreed. Now, let's see the actions.

"I put Clarence [Lewis] in a bad situation... That's 100% me. But I thought he did a good job."

THIS is why he is 10 times better than, the other clowns
Dino would have lost that game 42 -10 at best and talked about the Jimmies and the Joes and the fact that every time John Travolta used the bathroom in Pulp Fiction something bad happened, just like when he takes his 3 time outs with each half...

I don't want to give you a thumbs down here, because I get where you're coming from, but as others have stated you can definitely not say the right things in pressers. Syracuse under Fran was never going to go undefeated forever, so when the first loss hits, it does actual matter what you say then how you respond.

From our perspective as fans, yeah we should criticize coaching decisions, but from a program that's how you should answer it. You don't throw player or coach under the bus, you don't talk about what could have been, you don't bring up ISIS, etc.

How they respond and how Fran & Co., coach moving forward is important too
Our last few coaches problems were not with their press conferences. It was the lack of improvement. People are saying we should "give him respect" for these press conference comments, but I really do not think any should be given UNTIL we see some concrete adjustments and noticeable improvement. Do not feel any better about losing to a mediocre team at home with some bonehead staff decisions because he said "my bad".

You have to do much more than say the right things as head coach. Saying the right things I think is in many ways a distraction. How we respond on the field in the future is 110% all that I care about. What we saw from the staff on Friday is far too similar to what horrible SU coaches of the past put out there. If his only area of improvement is in press conferences then we will be looking for another new coach soon. Maybe I am still getting over that kick in the nuts on Friday night.

It was obviously the wrong call, but the Stanford QB made some crazy throws in the game that I don't think he'll make again at such a high clip the rest of the season.

I just don’t like how they showed 6 like they were bringing pressure. Then call timeout. Then bring 3 and drop the rest. Clearly Fran over ruled the play call that D coaches made. And I’m good with him owning it, but there was nothing that Stanford was showing that said he should change the play call

I swear if I see 3 down linemen on 3rd and long or 4th and long with no one blitzing, I'm gonna a absolutely lose it. Why does every Syracuse defensive coordinator do this?

Put pressure on the offensive line and QB. If you get beat, then you get beat, but you can't sit back in prevent coverage on 4th and 9 (or 3rd and 9 for that matter)

The onus in these situations is always on the offensive line to hold up so that the offense can make chunk yardage. Get that o-line to collapse (if they don't they don't, but the last thing that o line wants to see in that situation is a ton of pressure)

As fans we are so beaten down we salivate over a guy taking heat for what he clearly should be taking heat for. The fact that the HC did the minimal right thing and it was a change for us, speaks volumes about where the program/department is.

"I put Clarence [Lewis] in a bad situation... That's 100% me. But I thought he did a good job."

Dino would have lost that game 42 -10 at best and talked about the Jimmies and the Joes and the fact that every time John Travolta used the bathroom in Pulp Fiction something bad happened, just like when he takes his 3 time outs with each half...
Ironically if you said this last year you'd have multiple red heels thrown at you.

As fans we are so beaten down we salivate over a guy taking heat for what he clearly should be taking heat for. The fact that the HC did the minimal right thing and it was a change for us, speaks volumes about where the program/department is.
He has proven already that he has a way with words and always tends to say the right thing in front of a mic. Him continuing to do that is not a reason to give him props.

He has proven already that he has a way with words and always tends to say the right thing in front of a mic. Him continuing to do that is not a reason to give him props.
Sure, most of these egomaniac P4 coaches throw kids under the bus left and right.
See Miami's head coach after he blew the game against GTech and threw the QB and RB under the bus.
Brian Kelly has to many to mention.
Most of these guys deflect and NEVER own up to it being their fault, our guy gets some props for being a man and taking ownership.

Yeah, I don't like piling up on those who aren't here anymore (or maybe I do, but seem to think I don't at the moment). But Dino would have some infuriating clock management decisions that even children would question. He'd always defend it in the postgame presser with some inane explanation. It drove me nuts.

Yes it is. As long as he (and his staff) learn from what happened and do better, he deserves props for manning up, unlike the many tool coaches out there with God complexes who think everything bad that happens is someone else’s fault and everything good that happens is because of great coaching so triple my salary or I will leave for a better job

for everyone who wants to crush Elijah and/or Fran for the 4th and 9 call you can. I also hope you give the respect for owning it.

That's what a leader does. It's his fault. Not his player. Not someone missing an assignment. Not his DC making a bad call, etc.

His fault. Owns it. I give him respect for that.

Grow from it.
He’s an authentic and not a con man like one well known poster claimed he was

I swear if I see 3 down linemen on 3rd and long or 4th and long with no one blitzing, I'm gonna a absolutely lose it. Why does every Syracuse defensive coordinator do this?

Put pressure on the offensive line and QB. If you get beat, then you get beat, but you can't sit back in prevent coverage on 4th and 9 (or 3rd and 9 for that matter)

The onus in these situations is always on the offensive line to hold up so that the offense can make chunk yardage. Get that o-line to collapse (if they don't they don't, but the last thing that o line wants to see in that situation is a ton of pressure)
They mixed it up, they rushed one, had three play along the line, played 7 in coverage to get the ball back for the TD late in the game.

They also brought extra on other plays.

They mixed it up, they rushed one, had three play along the line, played 7 in coverage to get the ball back for the TD late in the game.

They also brought extra on other plays.
Then they went away from what worked. That, right there, should have told them something

Was not happy the construction banging didn’t stop when he requested it right away. I expect he’ll take ownership of that when Matt Park interviews him in the Perry’s spotlight. ;)
That happens every press conference. Where do they hold these things, the metal shop? It's pretty unprofessional.

Look, I’m driving the Fran bus but it still bothers me that we didn’t double their best receiver on 4th and 9 with the game on the line. Everyone in the building knew it was going to him. They circled the matchup on TV before the ball was snapped. Whether Fran takes ownership for it or not, I’m still upset we didn’t double him. If someone else beats us, so be it. But you have to take away their best weapon and make number 2 or 3 beat you. It’s why Aaron Judge gets walked all the time. I just hope we don’t see those mistakes repeated week after week. Hopefully it’s just growing pains.

My question is why is he not deferring to his DC in that situation? Recognize you're not the smartest person in the room and lean on your experienced assistants.

(This of course assumes ERob would've done something different but not even more bone-headed)
It was Fran taking the blame as the leader of the team and deflecting it away from Robinson and Lewis, not that he made the actual coverage call.

Look, I’m driving the Fran bus but it still bothers me that we didn’t double their best receiver on 4th and 9 with the game on the line. Everyone in the building knew it was going to him. They circled the matchup on TV before the ball was snapped. Whether Fran takes ownership for it or not, I’m still upset we didn’t double him. If someone else beats us, so be it. But you have to take away their best weapon and make number 2 or 3 beat you. It’s why Aaron Judge gets walked all the time. I just hope we don’t see those mistakes repeated week after week. Hopefully it’s just growing pains.

I think we’re all in agreement that it was the wrong call. Him owning it is just an important part of the process of improvement, but future actions are very important too.

I think the coaching staff has made some good decisions, bad decisions, and adjustments in 3 games. We’ll see what the next few bring.

Then they went away from what worked. That, right there, should have told them something
What I was saying is they had success getting stops not bringing pressure as well as bring extra rushers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom