Fran's Game 4 Press Conference | Holy Cross | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fran's Game 4 Press Conference | Holy Cross

2/4 press conferences so far he has had to briefly pause and ask someone to tell people in another room to quiet down. What is going on with this?

But you have to take away their best weapon and make number 2 or 3 beat you. It’s why Aaron Judge gets walked all the time. I just hope we don’t see those mistakes repeated week after week. Hopefully it’s just growing pains.
Doesn’t he have over 300 HRs in his career and 55 HRs this season?

I’m not saying the D call was right, but sometimes you go one on one with the best, and sometimes great players make something happen. That was tight coverage and the QB made an excellent back shoulder throw. That was the only place that pass was going to be caught and yes, their best WR caught it.

I just don’t like how they showed 6 like they were bringing pressure. Then call timeout. Then bring 3 and drop the rest. Clearly Fran over ruled the play call that D coaches made. And I’m good with him owning it, but there was nothing that Stanford was showing that said he should change the play call
He did that to swap Bellamy and Lewis. Bellamy was lined up opposite EA and Brown called a TO because he knew Lewis was doing a far better job and Bellamy would have been abused.

I’m not saying the D call was right, but sometimes you go one on one with the best, and sometimes great players make something happen. That was tight coverage and the QB made an excellent back shoulder throw. That was the only place that pass was going to be caught and yes, their best WR caught it.
And Lewis was 6 inches from a PBU with his left arm … it truly is a game of inches.

Our last few coaches problems were not with their press conferences. It was the lack of improvement. People are saying we should "give him respect" for these press conference comments, but I really do not think any should be given UNTIL we see some concrete adjustments and noticeable improvement. Do not feel any better about losing to a mediocre team at home with some bonehead staff decisions because he said "my bad".

You have to do much more than say the right things as head coach. Saying the right things I think is in many ways a distraction. How we respond on the field in the future is 110% all that I care about. What we saw from the staff on Friday is far too similar to what horrible SU coaches of the past put out there. If his only area of improvement is in press conferences then we will be looking for another new coach soon. Maybe I am still getting over that kick in the nuts on Friday night.
Jockey shorts, lots of ice:)

YUP...a great back shoulder throw...
BECAUSE THE QB WAS ALLOWED TO SIT IN THE POCKET!
That play had little to do with putting a CB in a difficult situation and
everything to do with allowing a QB and a receiver to make a play they have
done in practice since early August.
No blitz... just allow the other team to execute.
Stanford is good...CUSE played like duck squeeze but rallied to take a lead.
Only to give it away...

Our last few coaches problems were not with their press conferences. It was the lack of improvement. People are saying we should "give him respect" for these press conference comments, but I really do not think any should be given UNTIL we see some concrete adjustments and noticeable improvement. Do not feel any better about losing to a mediocre team at home with some bonehead staff decisions because he said "my bad".

You have to do much more than say the right things as head coach. Saying the right things I think is in many ways a distraction. How we respond on the field in the future is 110% all that I care about. What we saw from the staff on Friday is far too similar to what horrible SU coaches of the past put out there. If his only area of improvement is in press conferences then we will be looking for another new coach soon. Maybe I am still getting over that kick in the nuts on Friday night.

Well, we don't play until Saturday, so short of saying "my bad," there's nothing else he can do right at this moment. Give the guy a break. I'm just as upset by this loss, and that defensive call as the rest of us. IF poor decisions are made going forward, then we can maybe go down this road.

Yes but sometimes you are forced in to a position to pitch to Judge because men are on base and there is no place to put him. In this case, 4th and 9, it feels like we had some options to try and force their QB to throw elsewhere. We didn't bring a lot of pressure and we didn't double their best WR. Feels like a soft decision if that's what happened. I have to wonder if someone blew their assignment and Fran is taking ownership...which I would respect greatly.

My question is why is he not deferring to his DC in that situation? Recognize you're not the smartest person in the room and lean on your experienced assistants.

(This of course assumes ERob would've done something different but not even more bone-headed)
As the HC Fran is protecting his DC as well as his players. We’ll never know the truth on whose call that was but gotta respect Fran for taking the blame.

YUP...a great back shoulder throw...
BECAUSE THE QB WAS ALLOWED TO SIT IN THE POCKET!
That play had little to do with putting a CB in a difficult situation and
everything to do with allowing a QB and a receiver to make a play they have
done in practice since early August.
No blitz... just allow the other team to execute.
Stanford is good...CUSE played like duck squeeze but rallied to take a lead.
Only to give it away...
Agreed. Like I said, I also didn't love the D on that play. I agree with all that we should have been pressuring the pocket rather than a prevent D. We did the same against GT and almost let them come back. I think we all agree for the most part that "the only thing a prevent D does is prevent you from winning". That said, my comment was more about the 1 on 1 coverage, not the pocket pressure.

Agreed. Like I said, I also didn't love the D on that play. I agree with all that we should have been pressuring the pocket rather than a prevent D. We did the same against GT and almost let them come back. I think we all agree for the most part that "the only thing a prevent D does is prevent you from winning". That said, my comment was more about the 1 on 1 coverage, not the pocket pressure.
I think that they might have been concerned about contain with the QB he beat us with his legs multiple times

As the HC Fran is protecting his DC as well as his players. We’ll never know the truth on whose call that was but gotta respect Fran for taking the blame.

Yeah. Presser was pretty bland and he spoke words but didn't say much of note. He took responsibility for the issues - which is what he does - but didn't say much of anything beyond that regarding the Stanford game.

Seemed he really didn't want to talk about the Stanford game at all and kept steering responses to the fact that they are moving on and excited to play and discuss Holy Cross... seemed mildly irritated he kept getting questions about Stanford.

How many here have rewatched the game since seeing it live?

I actually think we played a decent game upon rewatch and Stanford played an exceptional game.

It happens, that’s what makes this sport great

Yeah. Presser was pretty bland and he spoke words but didn't say much of note. He took responsibility for the issues - which is what he does - but didn't say much of anything beyond that regarding the Stanford game.

Seemed he really didn't want to talk about the Stanford game at all and kept steering responses to the fact that they are moving on and excited to play and discuss Holy Cross... seemed mildly irritated he kept getting questions about Stanford.
I'm not sure if its a Syracuse thing, but I always found it weird that 90-percent of questions our coaches and players get the following week are about the prior game. Even later on in the week.

Now, I don't know what they'd ask about Holy Cross... It just seems a little beaten to death sometimes. Win or lose, I get a portion is served for after the coach had time to watch film and maybe something about a specific call/play/etc. that he can't answer the night of the game... Holy Cross gets them a pass because I don't expect them to know much about them to ask, but next week I hope the media uses the time for some questions about UNLV, how they're approaching traveling to the west coast, and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if its a Syracuse thing, but I always found it weird that 90-percent of questions our coaches and players get the following week are about the prior game. Even later on in the week.

Now, I don't know what they'd ask about Holy Cross... It just seems a little beaten to death sometimes. Win or lose, I get a portion is served for after the coach had time to watch film and maybe something about a specific call/play/etc. that he can't answer the night of the game... Holy Cross gets them a pass because I don't expect them to know much about them to ask, but next week I hope the media uses the time for some questions about UNLV, how they're approaching traveling to the west coast, and stuff like that.
So true. Another thing that's unique to CNY is saying the word "right" after making a statement. The SUFB media does it non stop.

I agree. If we stopped them enough to goto a 4th and 9 with pressure each time, why in gods creation would not do it again. Blows my mind completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom