free throws at end of game | Syracusefan.com

free throws at end of game

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
This is on Boeheim. Now this isn't me just wanting to critique Boeheim for just anyhitng or question the zone or question his actual game coaching. This is seriously questioning his mental coaching. My guess is Boeheim would be the last coach in America to listen to sports psychiatrist.

He needs to stop with the take the guys off the blocks in late game crunch time fts. Players need to see "normal". they need to see 2 guys literally just standing there. It also makes it less intimidating that 1 on 4. Its just natural brain tendencies.

I understand the fouling situation. Thats a once in a blue moon thing at worst. But all you have to do is "coach" the players to not contest the rebound in any way. Just be there to act as a comfort for the shooter.

And for the love of God, if Boeheim publicly chastises Bus again today Im going to lose my mind. Free throws are mental. Chastising - especially publicly never helps. He needs to be comforted right now, like every other coach would do. No one publicly chastised scott norwood or gary anderson or dejaun wagner.

This is on Boeheim. Now this isn't me just wanting to critique Boeheim for just anyhitng or question the zone or question his actual game coaching. This is seriously questioning his mental coaching. My guess is Boeheim would be the last coach in America to listen to sports psychiatrist.

He needs to stop with the take the guys off the blocks in late game crunch time fts. Players need to see "normal". they need to see 2 guys literally just standing there. It also makes it less intimidating that 1 on 4. Its just natural brain tendencies.

I understand the fouling situation. Thats a once in a blue moon thing at worst. But all you have to do is "coach" the players to not contest the rebound in any way. Just be there to act as a comfort for the shooter.

And for the love of God, if Boeheim publicly chastises Bus again today Im going to lose my mind. Free throws are mental. Chastising - especially publicly never helps. He needs to be comforted right now, like every other coach would do. No one publicly chastised scott norwood or gary anderson or dejaun wagner.
I couldn't disagree more. Guys shoot free throws by themseleves from the time they start playing hoop. And Patterson doesn't miss because jb says mean things about him.

I couldn't disagree more. Guys shoot free throws by themseleves from the time they start playing hoop. And Patterson doesn't miss because jb says mean things about him.

stevie thompson also hit 90% of ft's at practice and 50% in games. It is different.

you can be all tough guy if you want... but what we've been doing isn't working. Im not sure why you wouldn't at least try to listen to my advice. Instead you prefer to disagree as much as humanly possible. I just don't get that attitude.

stevie thompson also hit 90% of ft's at practice and 50% in games. It is different.

you can be all tough guy if you want... but what we've been doing isn't working. Im not sure why you wouldn't at least try to listen to my advice. Instead you prefer to disagree as much as humanly possible. I just don't get that attitude.
Because, and no offense, I think it's nonsense. To make free throws at the end of the game you need onions. Pure and simple. No matter how you want to spin it, you are there, at the line by yourself. It's on you. Can you make a shot you make all the time in practice. some guys love it and can. Some guys shrink. Who is at the foul line doesn't matter. It's what is inside you.

Because, and no offense, I think it's nonsense. To make free throws at the end of the game you need onions. Pure and simple. No matter how you want to spin it, you are there, at the line by yourself. It's on you. Can you make a shot you make all the time in practice. some guys love it and can. Some guys shrink. Who is at the foul line doesn't matter. It's what is inside you.

Mental reaction and attitude is not nonsense.

You want to everything in your power to improve the odds. We aren't doing it. What I am proposing literally changes nothing other than adding (possibly) comfort to the shooter.

So criticize it all you want. But the criticism is nonsense. Because it can't hurt, only help or do nothing.

Mental reaction and attitude is not nonsense.

You want to everything in your power to improve the odds. We aren't doing it. What I am proposing literally changes nothing other than adding (possibly) comfort to the shooter.

So criticize it all you want. But the criticism is nonsense. Because it can't hurt, only help or do nothing.
oh yes it can. In the Indiana game, jb had guys at the line for triches free throws and the person whose name shall not ever be said here, took the miss and raced down the court for an easy 2. Get your defense set. and ask jaime dixon if it is a once in a blue moon. Having guys at the line cost him a rip to the final four against Butler I believe it was.

I agree . He did the same thing against Indiana in the 1987 championship game with DC on the line at the end. He took some heat for that and he is still doing it I believe to prove his critics wrong. He has got to be one of the most stubborn coaches in the country.

My comment to this is that JB wants his D set to best prevent a score at the end of the game. Also, I would have to think that players at this level should not be so distracted by which players are on the block - they have to shoot with those wavy things the fans wave and the things they shout out to distract the foul shooter.

I'm not sure what this has to do with how the game ended up. The missed layups are still a concern for me, but it was a pretty fun game (since we won ;)) and that Greek dude from WF - wow!

oh yes it can. In the Indiana game, jb had guys at the line for triches free throws and the person whose name shall not ever be said here, took the miss and raced down the court for an easy 2. Get your defense set. and ask jaime dixon if it is a once in a blue moon. Having guys at the line cost him a rip to the final four against Butler I believe it was.
That's wrong. Coleman was on the line at the end, and he took our guys off the line.

That Greek dude will probably shoot 1-10 in his next game. Career game.

No, just no. How is poor free throw shooting on Coach B? You either have the kahonas to go up there and knock them down or you don't.

That's wrong. Coleman was on the line at the end, and he took our guys off the line.
LOL No it's right. Coleman was at the line at the very end. The reason jb pulled the guys off the free throw line is what happpened just a few moments earlier with Howard triche. he didn't want a miss and an easy two for I.U. like they just got.

Buss should not be playing in a close game at the end. He nearly cost two games for us because of his poor foul shooting.

cuseguy said:
Buss should not be playing in a close game at the end. He nearly cost two games for us because of his poor foul shooting.

I agree. Buy obviously JB doesn't since Buss is playing late minutes over Joseph in every game. I like Buss as a bench role player. Not sure what he brings to the table in late game situations that Joseph does not.

jec1521 said:
I agree. Buy obviously JB doesn't since Buss is playing late minutes over Joseph in every game. I like Buss as a bench role player. Not sure what he brings to the table in late game situations that Joseph does not.

He also threw a bad pass that nearly cost us.

I think Buss is the better option defensively for us late in games. Maybe Jimmy B could do an off/def substitution with him and KJ down the stretch? KJ has just been a non factor on offense and I think although Patterson does some dumb things with the ball, he also looks to create more.

But... "brain tendencies."

I'm just fooling with you ATL. Look at our situation this year and realize this is not a night to nit pick. Soak in a really nice win tonight brother!

He also threw a bad pass that nearly cost us.

and almost nearly had the ball stolen for a layup.

I like Buss a lot. He is almost there. But he needs help. IMO, Blasting him is not the best way to coach him. Yelling at him is 1 thing and its totally fine, embarrassing is another.

CusefanATL said:
and almost nearly had the ball stolen for a layup.

I like Buss a lot. He is almost there. But he needs help. IMO, Blasting him is not the best way to coach him. Yelling at him is 1 thing and its totally fine, embarrassing is another.

To be honest man, you or I have no clue how Buss responds to certain types of criticism. I'm going to trust JB since he sees him in practice every day and knows him as a person way more than we do.

CusefanATL said:
and almost nearly had the ball stolen for a layup. I like Buss a lot. He is almost there. But he needs help. IMO, Blasting him is not the best way to coach him. Yelling at him is 1 thing and its totally fine, embarrassing is another.

These guys get yelled at all the time, in public, in practice - I don't think it makes a lick of difference.

Cuse Action said:

Dasher is talking about 2-3 possessions before the Coleman FTs.

And that really was the critical basket that kept Indiana alive.

The more bb I watch, the more I don't care about rebounders on the line...especially when one of them has 35 points and 4 fouls.

The more bb I watch, the more I don't care about rebounders on the line...especially when one of them has 35 points and 4 fouls.

If you have that little trust in your players, then yeah we have much bigger issues than trying to hit ft's

Although I understand what you are saying ATL, a free throw shooter needs to focus on the shot only, not on who and which team are on the line and who all are waving their hands in the crowd behind the basket, etc. Thus, it really shouldn't matter if 10 guys or 0 guys are on the box with him. Just hit the frickin' shot. Of course, there are same team players standing there the rest of the game, so it must be a not wanting to foul thing on a missed shot and/or to make sure the players are all back ready on D after a miss or a make.

that's JBs excuse . . . but then he took the guys off the line for DCs free throws, got his defense set, and still got burned.

I think the latter was the bigger mistake, but I'm not a coach and in any case, JB will never admit that he made a mistake even if in his heart he knows it

I know JB wasn't the first to do this but it was rare. When he began doing it I thought it was crazy. But it has gained acceptance over the years probably in part because of JB. It's not all that uncommon now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom