Free Throws... Wow! | Syracusefan.com

Free Throws... Wow!

SWFLCUSE

All Conference
Coming into Maui we were 71 for 115 which is good for 61.7% .

Through two games in the Maui we are 45 for 51 good for 88.2%.

We are now 116 for 166 good for 70% for the season.
If we could shoot 70%-73% for the year I think we are going to be pretty hard to beat.

pretty astonishing turnaround. great work. both games are very tight or we lose if we shoot 60%.

Thanks for that, was just wondering about the stats you just provided in fact.. I don't see us hitting 70% for the year but I'd be happy if we got 65% and make the ones we need to in the clutch.

Coming into Maui we were 71 for 115 which is good for 61.7% .

Through two games in the Maui we are 45 for 51 good for 88.2%.

We are now 116 for 166 good for 70% for the season.
If we could shoot 70%-73% for the year I think we are going to be pretty hard to beat.
The crazy thing, after only two games of this, I found myself expecting EVERY one to go in, no matter who, DaJuan, Rak, everybody!
Seriously I remember only the 1 miss Ennis had last night. I couldn't tell you the other 5 and the great thing is, that number seems high!

Thanks for that, was just wondering about the stats you just provided in fact.. I don't see us hitting 70% for the year but I'd be happy if we got 65% and make the ones we need to in the clutch.
What can I say I'm a dreamer.

23-24 tonight 95%. Last time we did that had to be with Hal Cohen or Jimmy Lee or one of those teams that never missed free throws.
it was the women's team

You see how loose those rims are? Almost all the teams in Maui are hitting very high FT percentages.
Is that a real thing? Let's loosen ours at the dome.

Remember this story following the St. Francis game? . . .

"SU coach Jim Boeheim did something unusual after Tuesday's practice. The Orange traditionally finishes practice with players pairing off to shoot free throws at various Melo Center baskets. Managers, armed with clipboards, record how many free throws players take and make. Then, everybody retreats to one baseline as teammates, one-by-one, stand on the free-throw line. When players miss, the entire team runs one sprint.

"On Monday, though, Boeheim put a premium on those "practice" shots. Every time a player missed a shot in his small group, he was required to run a sprint. The exercise led to plenty of running for the Orange. Boeheim and SU assistant coach Adrian Autry each stopped by Grant's station to observe and make suggestions.

"But when the players met as a team after all that small group shooting and running, nobody missed. C.J. Fair (.842), Trevor Cooney (.778), Ennis (.643) and B.J. Johnson (no game attempts) each swished two shots. Boeheim ended practice on that positive 8-for-8 note."

Guess it's paying off;)-VBOF

It all depends on who is getting fouled. Tonight only 2 free throws for the bigs.

With Fair, Cooney and Ennis likely to shoot a high percentage of our FTs, I don't see why we can't hit higher clip than we have prior to Maui. I also think that with regular playing time Grant is much...much better than a .54% free throw shooter.

23-24 tonight 95%. Last time we did that had to be with Hal Cohen or Jimmy Lee or one of those teams that never missed free throws.
Back when we were a "mid-major". When we got on the national stage, immediately the free throws stopped falling.

Is that a real thing? Let's loosen ours at the dome.
It affects both teams the same. Yes its a real thing. The breakaway rims developed after the Daryl Dawkin era bounces down and has an adjustable tension breakaway rims so the backboards don't shatter.

It affects both teams the same. Yes its a real thing. The breakaway rims developed after the Daryl Dawkin era bounces down and has an adjustable tension breakaway rims so the backboards don't shatter.
Basketball Rim instllation manual.

Breakaway Force Adjustment
IMPORTANT: Only adjust the horizontal spring.

1. Remove cover plate as shown in Figure 5-1.
2. Insert the supplied pin into the hole in the spring adjust mechanism. Use the supplied wrench to adjust the spring tension nut as shown in Figure 6-1.
Decrease Force Increase Force
Figure 6-1: Adjust spring tension.
3. Reinstall cover plate.

I know about the breakaway rim, just never really heard loose rims correlating to higher ft %.

I recall going 26-27 vs. St. John's in the late 90's. Don't remember the year exactly but well after Jimmy Lee and before GMac.

I know about the breakaway rim, just never really heard loose rims correlating to higher ft %.
Basic physics. If ball slightly touches tight rim on inside it bounces harder. Also soft rims allows ball to stay closer to the rim and ultimately hit backboard or other parts of the rim to ultimately stay up there to fall in. Soft rims are historically know to help shooting. Hard rims not so much.

I recall going 26-27 vs. St. John's in the late 90's. Don't remember the year exactly but well after Jimmy Lee and before GMac.

You are correct, 26-27 vs. St. Johns in January of 1994.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom