Freeney officially on HOF ballot | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Freeney officially on HOF ballot

Agree. There is quite a pretty good waiting list to get in, but he will.
Somewhere on this board, there’s a thread where I did a huge analysis of guys who will need to be in before him.

I know some have, not sure who’s left.

Is Mathis in?

His pic has been my avatar for a few years now. Very few in pro football history can compare to his value and accomplishments. Repping the Cuse!

Call me crazy and just an early prediction cause why not. But by the end of their careers we’ll see Chandler and Cisco in the hall of fame too. Cisco balled out this year with a real coach and he’ll only get better. He just has “it”. I think in the next 2-3 years he’ll be one of the top 2 safeties currently playing in the NFL and he’ll get a big pay day. Chandler just speaks for himself at this point.

Call me crazy and just an early prediction cause why not. But by the end of their careers we’ll see Chandler and Cisco in the hall of fame too. Cisco balled out this year with a real coach and he’ll only get better. He just has “it”. I think in the next 2-3 years he’ll be one of the top 2 safeties currently playing in the NFL and he’ll get a big pay day. Chandler just speaks for himself at this point.
Cisco is a HOFer.

Yessiree Bob, marijuana is legal in NY.

He’d be lucky and proud to have Donovin Darius’ career.

SU is the only school to have had the NFL All Time career leading rusher Brown, Receptions Monk and Scoring Anderson. Yes they were over taken but still, a heck of an accomplishment.

If I am remembering this right, I believe at one point the highest paid offensive and defensive players in the NFL were both Syracuse alums (McNabb and Freeney). Crazy if it is true.

Let's just hope he stays healthy enough to have a long career. There have been a bunch of guys with great starts that flamed out with injuries. Eric Berry is a great example.

I hope Mathis doesn't get in before Freeney. He can thank Freeney for a bunch of his sacks.
Mathis has the same amount of sacks and 100s more tackles than that 1 trick pony, if I recall correctly.

Mathis has the same amount of sacks and 100s more tackles than that 1 trick pony, if I recall correctly.
The one trick pony was a 7 time pro-bowler, 3 time first team all pro and made the 2nd team one other time. Mathis was a 5 time pro-bowler and made an all pro team once. Freeney was voted to an all decade team. Mathis wasn't.

There's more to a player's impact than numbers. Opposing coaches knew this and gameplanned for him. While they focused on him and Freeney enjoyed the bulk of the double teams and chips from RBs and TEs, Mathis benefited. The people voting for the various awards teams understood this and recognized him far more than Mathis.

The one trick pony was a 7 time pro-bowler, 3 time first team all pro and made the 2nd team one other time. Mathis was a 5 time pro-bowler and made an all pro team once. Freeney was voted to an all decade team. Mathis wasn't.

There's more to a player's impact than numbers. Opposing coaches knew this and gameplanned for him. While they focused on him and Freeney enjoyed the bulk of the double teams and chips from RBs and TEs, Mathis benefited. The people voting for the various awards teams understood this and recognized him far more than Mathis.
Seems to me then Mathis was setting up his good buddy for success by making all those tackles while setting the NFL RECORD for forced fumbles on 1st and 2nd down….as Freeney rested for his bum rush fancy tv loving spin move at the QB on 3rd down.

Chicks dig the long ball…and sacks.

Except they are in a virtual tie there.

Why do people here have to take shots at someone to pump their guy??

It’s so childish.

They both are getting in…..at some point.

Freeney will not get in this year.

Seems to me then Mathis was setting up his good buddy for success by making all those tackles while setting the NFL RECORD for forced fumbles on 1st and 2nd down….as Freeney rested for his bum rush fancy tv loving spin move at the QB on 3rd down.

It’s so childish.

Haha. It was you who brought up Mathis in a thread about Freeney, so who's taking shots? When other Freeney HOF threads have popped up, you pointed out why he wouldn't get in, so who's taking shots? You've made it clear in the past you think a number of guys are more deserving, including Mathis. Some of them are more deserving. Going by what I pointed out earlier, Mathis isn't one of them.

You keep bringing up sacks and tackles. There's more to it than that. That's not my opinion. That's the opinions of former players and coaches that work as analysts. Back in the day I heard more than one say Freeney sacrificed numbers to do what was asked within the scheme of the defense. People in the know saw that and named him to those all pro teams and the all decade team.

I think you're right when you say he won't get in this time.

Last edited:
Haha. It was you who brought up Mathis in a thread about Freeney, so who's taking shots? When other Freeney HOF threads have popped up, you pointed out why he wouldn't get in, so who's taking shots? You've made it clear in the past you think a number of guys are more deserving, including Mathis. Some of them are more deserving. Going by what I pointed out earlier, Mathis isn't one of them.

You keep bringing up sacks and tackles. There's more to it than that. That's not my opinion. That's the opinions of former players and coaches that work as analysts. Back in the day I heard more than one say Freeney sacrificed numbers to do what was asked within the scheme of the defense. People in the know saw that and named him to those all pro teams and the all decade team.

I think you're right when you say he won't get in this time.
You keep bringing up sacks and tackles. There's more to it than that.

No, there’s really not. Role players don’t get in the HOF. Go ahead and list the people who think Freeney is more deserving, take the time…but I got to warn you, I don’t care because Both are getting in, not sure in what order.

YES, I most absolutely asked if Mathis was getting in. I didn’t know, shoot me. If he was in, then Freeney could likely get in this year, since he’s not, they will wait. It was a simple question.

I know they’ve been cleaning up the DE’s in recent years, just wasn’t sure who had gotten in.

Let’s also not kid ourselves and think that his last 18 sacks in the non-colt years he was anything more than a very good, a HOF one trick pony by then.

And those 18, are probably what will get him in sooner than later.

This is a LT v Harry Carson argument, not LT v Carl Banks.

Freeney will get in. Whether it's this year or not, dude made all pro teams 4x. He made all decade.

Good for Cuse. Lot of good candidates this year.

NFL offensive coordinators devised their entire game plans around Dwight Freeney. They didn't do that for Robert Mathis. Next.

It’s so childish.

So calling Dwight a one trick pony isn’t a shot? Nice try