Fresahman eligibilty | Syracusefan.com

Fresahman eligibilty

SBU72

All Conference
I was reading in the USA Today that the Big 5 conferences are considering rules to more or less isolate them from the rest of the NCAA. One thing they are considering is how to handle 1-n-dones. Their solution is to reinstitute freshman ineligibility. (It's almost like they are saying they don't want 18 year olds either!) What does that accomplish? Is it because they don't want to have coaches deal every year with the problems of losing a good player after one year. Or are they trying to force the NBA to change their rule so the NBA can still have their free minor league? Or is it going to be called the Calapari Rule to stop a coach from stock piling so much 1 year talent? Can somebody explain.

Maybe they are hoping to decrease the amount of handlers that are infiltrating the high school ranks causing colleges to examine the recruit not just by skill and attitude but also by the people that are making the decisions.

My guess is it's a threat to get the NBA to up the age requirement. There is no way in the world that any P5 hoops coach wants to see this happen because if it were approved, you'd see the better players going overseas to play, or Nike/Adidas set up travel teams that would play pros in Europe/Asia

My guess is it's a threat to get the NBA to up the age requirement. There is no way in the world that any P5 hoops coach wants to see this happen because if it were approved, you'd see the better players going overseas to play, or Nike/Adidas set up travel teams that would play pros in Europe/Asia
Yep. Pay Van Gundy or Hubie Brown to coach em up for a year. Pay them all $100,000 plus expenses. They can all play and work out together. NBA wants them, they can come and watch.

Could it also be a way to cut down on the number of "head cases" that don't want to play team offense and defense? How many one-and-dones would rather not be in college if they didn't have to be?

Few, if any, people are going to confuse UVa with an NBA farm team, so this rule probably won't affect us very much. If anything, having a freshman team practicing and using our offense and defense in a "no pressure" situation works out very well for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom