Freshmen Participation | Syracusefan.com

Freshmen Participation

With the scholarships the way they are I would lean towards not redshirting guys. Use the red shirts for players like Mellen, Dordevic, and Fernandez who get hurt. Otherwise you’re adding unnessesary student loans on these kids who may never contribute

Can we really know for sure until the season ends?
No, you can't .
My understanding (welcome corrections if wrong ) is that a redshirt has to be agreeable to both player and coach. Sometimes it is but sometimes it really isn't if that makes any sense.
A player who is likely to see few minutes may desire to keep year of eligibility ( obviously optional to use here or elsewhere ) but he could still be called upon despite intention if a need arises or if he develops faster than expected then another discussion would ensue.
My further understanding is a year of eligibility is spent, barring season ending injury before formulaic cutoff, the moment a player steps on field even if brief in game or January scrimmage. Change in rules thankfully granted exception and allowed participation to all in fall scrimmages which helps decisions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom