Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
News

14626773-mmmain.jpg

SU H Back Brisly Estime Significantly Faster Than He Was Last Season (PS; Carlson)

The sophomore, who said he ran a 4.28 hand-timed 40-yard dash time in high school, is even faster this year.

"We all knew he was fast," strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks said. "He really got fast this offseason. He's a really fast kid right now. I'm not supposed to tell you numbers, but he's fast. Faster than last year. Dramatically faster."

Estime's progress has satisfied the coaching staff so thoroughly that Ashton Broyld has been moved full-time to outside receiver and Estime, a true sophomore, is the most experienced player working out at Syracuse's H-back position. He is joined by Corey Winfield, Sean Avant and Corey Cooper.

14623958-mmmain.jpg

SU LB Coach Clark Lea on Northwestern Unionization" 'I Feel Like I'm Still Paying Back' (PS; Mink)

Lea coached against Colter in Syracuse's 48-27 loss at Northwestern on Sept. 7 and respects the movement he's taking head on. Lea said the unionization issue and "any conversation that's moving toward improving what we do from an organizational standpoint and a quality of life for student-athletes is worth having."

"I guess at the end of the day, I felt like the people who were making decisions, my coaches, the university presidents, the ADs, so on and so forth on up to the NCAA, I just had trust that they had my best interests in mind," Lea said.

"I would say that's where really my feeling lies. I trusted the fact that the people who were pulling the strings were doing their best to protect me and to help me along, so I never once had an issue."

Future Opponents

Back to Basics for Villanova Football (Philly.com; Kern)

THE SENIORS on Villanova's football team have experienced the bad, the good and the unfulfilled. In 2011, coming off a run to the semifinals of the FCS tournament as the defending national champions, the Wildcats went 2-9. The next year, after being picked to finish eighth in the Colonial Athletic Association, they got back to the playoffs by winning the title. Last season, as the preseason favorite and fifth-ranked team in the country, they lost too many close games against one of the roughest schedules and finished 6-5.

So . . .

"I think maybe last year we looked a little bit too much at the bigger picture," said running back Kevin Monangai, one of those who will be entering his final season. "There was talk about having a national championship-type team, it got in our head and we forgot what it really takes to be that kind of team. There's fundamental stuff that got you to that level in the first place. That could have been the biggest difference between what we should have had and what we ended up with...

Former Players

14624666-mmmain.jpg

Steve Gregory Glad He Was on the Good Side of the Butt Fumble Play (PS; Mink)

He also offered a look back at the butt-fumble.

"It was kind of a crazy play," he said.

"I think I was just dropping down for a zone," said Gregory, then a safety for the Pats. "Cover 3, dropping into a weak side of the formation, and he turned it around and went to go hand off to the running back, but somebody went the wrong way, and then I just saw him take off with the ball and try to salvage as much yards as he could.

"So I was just approaching the line to make sure he didn't bounce it outside or anything like that and next thing you know the ball popped out."

His father, a retired New York City police officer and a veteran of Sept. 11, keeps a photograph of the play in his Baldwinsville home. ESPN retired the video clip of the play after spending 40 weeks atop its Worst of the Worst top 10.

joe-ehrmann-canton.gif

Joe Ehrmann Will Speak in Canton as Part of National Crime Victim's Rights Week (Northcountrynow.com)

Author Joe Ehrmann will speak at three events as part of National Crime Victims’ Rights Week about how sports can bring communities together on April 6-7.

Event takes place at SUNY Canton’s Roos House, 34 Cornell Dr. from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on April 6 and from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on April 7.

Ehrmann has been an athlete, educator, author, activist, pastor and coach for more than 25 years.

He was an All-American football player at Syracuse University and was selected to the Syracuse All-Century Football Team. He went on to play professional football for 13 years and was named the Colts “Man of the Year” and was the NFL’s first Ed Block Courage Award winner.

“Coaching for Change: A Game Plan for Life” will be held on Sunday and tackles how sports can bring together the various facets of community through strategic and intentional focus, understanding that physical, academic, social, emotional, moral and civic competency can be accomplished through sports

Tomcat I appreciate the job you have done while "stepping into the breach" for Dan!

If Brisely is as fast as mentioned in that article I want to see him returning punts all year long. He really saved our bacon last year in the bowl game. In fact let him be on the kickoff return team. It would be great to see him take one to the house on the first play of the game

Tomcat I appreciate the job you have done while "stepping into the breach" for Dan!

If Brisely is as fast as mentioned in that article I want to see him returning punts all year long. He really saved our bacon last year in the bowl game. In fact let him be on the kickoff return team. It would be great to see him take one to the house on the first play of the game
Thanks, happy to help out while our star is on the DL.

Thought the news that Ashton Broyld had been moved to outside WR (no more H back role for him) was kind of lost in the Estime article.

Makes sense on a couple of levels. Broyld appears to be our best blocking WR by a wide margin and he was often paired next to Brisly on bubble screens thrown to Estime late in the season, when injuries forced Ashton to move outside.

I think Ashton will be better able to use his size and strength on the outside and moving him there also allows SU to get more playmakers on the field at the same time. It will be interesting to see which of the youngsters (Avant, Cooper or Winfield) gets the nod as the backup H back. Whitfield has a world of talent, I am hoping/guessing it ends up being him. Good to see quality depth finally emerging at some positions; I think all of these kids can play.

Last edited:
Unionization:
Let's see who's my Union President,My Union Steward, What Holidays do I have off, do I work on Labor Day, Do I get Shift differential for a Night Game?Do I get Time and a Half on Saturday,Doubletime on Sunday's and Holidays?,Can I file a grieveance against my Coach or teammate's,How much are my union dues,if I play H-Back and they want to move me to wide receiver can I file a grievance because it's out of my Job classification,are Qb's paid more than Long snappers,Wr's more than OG's do I have to play in inclement weather Too Hot/too Cold/Rain/snow (All of these are safety factors) What about a Medical/Dental/retirement Plan,How much time off do I get for personel reasons if I lose my spot on the Roster for using a personel day can I file a Grievance. Will my dues money be used for a monthly magazine (So I can keep up with my other Locals news) .
Ah Look for the Union Label

I think the big story this season will be a much more dynamic receiving corps. last year's was maybe the worst we've had. Our leading receiver never scored!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom