Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

2014 Syracuse Football Schedule: Dates, Times and TV (PS; Mink)

Here is the 2014 Syracuse football schedule.

We will update the schedule with kick times and TV information as it becomes available.

The centerpiece of the home slate will be the Oct. 11 matchup with defending national champion Florida State, led by Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jameis Winston.

There are two Friday night games at the Carrier Dome this year: the season opener at Villanova and the ACC opener against new member Louisville on Oct 3.

Syracuse will also make its first-ever trip to Clemson on Oct. 25 and return to MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. for a Sept. 27 date with Notre Dame.

Analysis: History Shows SU Football Should Expect Year 2 Bonce Under Scott Shafer (PS; Carlson)

Scott Shafer took a risk this offseason, becoming the rare brave coach willing to put a number on what he would consider success in 2014.

The Syracuse coach said he wanted to win at least eight games,taking a step forward from last year's 7-6 campaign despite what appears to be a more challenging schedule.

He's said he learned from a few rookie mistakes during his first season as a head coach. Offensive coordinator George McDonald hassaid the same.

The Orange cleaned up fundamental errors during the second half of last season, issues that are unlikely to repeat themselves. And if that wasn't enough reason for optimism, Doug Marrone's Orange went from 4-8 to 8-5 during his second season.

Syracuse Football Starting to Regain Foothold in NFL (sujuiceonline.com; Marcus)

I usually write about SU basketball on here, but I’m going to save my NBA Draft-related SU content until next month. Instead, let’s take a closer look at another draft involving SU players, the NFL Draft. With OTAs and Rookie Camps in full force, let’s take a look at the recent influx of SU players being drafted the last few years.

Since SU had a whopping zero players drafted in 2008, 13 SU players have been drafted. Seven SU players were drafted in the last three years. And of course there were free agent signees as well. Naturally, this increase coincides with the SU football team being more successful.

This year’s draftees were Jay Bromley (Giants, third round) and Marquis Spruill (Falcons, fifth round). Bromley seems a good bet to make the team as a third-round pick. Seeing as former SU players drafted last year Justin Pugh (starter) and Ryan Nassib (backup QB) are on the team, Bromley appears to be in good hands.

Recruiting

15068880-mmmain.jpg

Jake Zembiec

SU Drops in on Rochester QB Jake Zembiec, One of the Nation's Top Prospects in 2016 Class (PS; Mink)

Syracuse quarterbacks coach Tim Lester was in Rochester on Wednesday to watch Aquinas Institute quarterback Jake Zembiec throw the football.

A traditional pro-style quarterback, Zembiec is the top recruit in New York for the 2016 class, and he will be among the most highly recruited quarterbacks nationally in his class.

"It's definitely a school I'm interested in," Zembiec said of Syracuse. "It's one of those things where you really have to keep in touch with the coaches and you never know when they're going to switch up the kind of offense. It's just good being so close to home. I can keep in contact easy.

430168_531649323560590_1815671998_n-610x400.jpg

SU Verbal Davante Davis Decommits, Wants to 'Enjoy the Whole Recruiting Process' (PS; Mink)

Davante Davis, a cornerback from Booker T. Washington High School in Florida, has decommitted from Syracuse's 2015 recruiting class.

Davis explained his decision in a message on Twitter.

"I will be opening everything back up far as this recruiting process. I've had a nice talk with Coach McDonald also have had a talk with my family and decided to decommit from Syracuse. It's nothing but love for them but I want to enjoy the whole recruiting process and give everyone a fair chance."

When Davis verbally committed to Syracuse on May 6, he held offers from schools such as Cincinnati, Florida International and Florida Atlantic. Virginia was his only other equity conference offer.

Former Players

15071934-mmmain.jpg

Ryan Nassib Taking Most of the 2nd Team Reps for Giants So Far (PS; Mink)

NJ.com reported the former Syracuse record-setting quarterback took the majority of the second-team reps during Thursday's workout.

"He's worked hard, he's worked very hard. He's studied hard," Giants coach Tom Coughlin told reporters. "He can direct traffic out here. He just needs to get the execution where we need it to be."

Nassib, who did not take any regular season snaps as a rookie last year, is competing with veterans Curtis Painter and Josh Freeman for the backup position to Eli Manning.

15072035-mmmain.jpg

Former SU Safety Tanard Jackson Worked a 'Real Job' During NFL Drug-Related Suspension (PS; AP)

During his third NFL drugs-related suspension, Tanard Jackson found himself working in a warehouse to support his family — and harboring legitimate doubts as to whether he would play football again.

The Washington Redskins have given him another chance — likely his last — to get his act straight. Reinstated this month, he was on the field this week for the team's first full set of offseason practices with rookies and veterans together.

He says this time will be different. Asked why, his answer was an obvious one: During his 20 months away, he had to get a real job.

"That long wait," Jackson said. "That time period I was out from doing something that I love to do, and not having that camaraderie with the teammates, and having to go out and work in the warehouse from 9 to 5. It was a humbling experience."

-64f5024398577f1e.jpg

Coach Mac and Macky

Macky MacPherson Awaits NFL Training Camp Offer Afgter Eagles Mini Camp (PS; Bailey)

First PS article for young Bailey

Former Syracuse center Macky MacPherson completed a three-day mini camp with the Philadelphia Eagles from May 16-18 and is awaiting an NFL training camp offer.

"I think it went well. I played well," MacPherson said on Thursday. "Really I just wanted to play my best football and not have any regrets, in terms of, 'OK, if I play my best and they let me go, there's no reason to be upset about it.'"...

Cute picture of Mackey...

On Zembiec, what flashed into my mind was Bill Scharr, a top pro-style QB prospect we recruited back in the 80's, jsut when we were switching to an offense featuring a mobile quarterback. He came here but was lost in what we were trying to do. It seems as if we are going in that direction again.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/08/29/sports/syracuse-is-facing-puzzle-at-quarterback.html

Of course the pros are experimenting with mobile QBs, too so I'm not sure what "pro-style" means any more.

to me pro-style now just means someone who might be good enough to play in the pros someday.. can they hit the target and make good reads..

If Zembiec winds up anyplace other than Notre Dame or the SEC then you'll have a Story

Following Day 3 of OTAs in Houston:

Alec Lemon Catches Everything
The second year wide receiver went from a rookie free agent last year to finding a spot on the practice squad last season. This year Lemon is still a technician and is a crisp route runner and is one of the best hands receivers in the wide receiver group.

He makes catching the football look easy, but he has a tough road ahead to make the team. He is the ultimate possession receiver and seeing how he fits moving forward will be something to note.

* Note: Nice write up, but the writer should have said that he was on IR last season and not the practice squad (kind of a big difference)... NFL is weird a business, he likes his chances in Houston, but weird things happen all the time... If he were to be stashed on a practice squad this upcoming season, I think he lands with another team pretty quick.

The second year wide receiver went from a rookie free agent last year to finding a spot on the practice squad last season. This year Lemon is still a technician and is a crisp route runner and is one of the best hands receivers in the wide receiver group.

He makes catching the football look easy, but he has a tough road ahead to make the team. He is the ultimate possession receiver and seeing how he fits moving forward will be something to note.

* Note: Nice write up, but the writer should have said that he was on IR last season and not the practice squad (kind of a big difference)... NFL is weird a business, he likes his chances in Houston, but weird things happen all the time... If he were to be stashed on a practice squad this upcoming season, I think he lands with another team pretty quick.
Nice. Go Alec, go. I hopethe Texans are smart enough to keep him and include him in their rotation at WR.

Well I'll be cheering for Andre Johnson to keep pouting and hold out to improve the chances for Alec!

Not terribly worried about AJ's status - he is who he is... :) As long as Alec keeps doing good things in camp he'll land on his feet wherever he ends up - hope it's in Houston -- I don't want to keep buying new jerseys! lol

Awesome, love hearing updates on Alec. Keep us posted, thanks!

rundeal said:
Not terribly worried about AJ's status - he is who he is... :) As long as Alec keeps doing good things in camp he'll land on his feet wherever he ends up - hope it's in Houston -- I don't want to keep buying new jerseys! lol

Giants.

Nassib to Lemon.

Cute picture of Mackey...

On Zembiec, what flashed into my mind was Bill Scharr, a top pro-style QB prospect we recruited back in the 80's, jsut when we were switching to an offense featuring a mobile quarterback. He came here but was lost in what we were trying to do. It seems as if we are going in that direction again.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/08/29/sports/syracuse-is-facing-puzzle-at-quarterback.html

Of course the pros are experimenting with mobile QBs, too so I'm not sure what "pro-style" means any more.

I played with Billy and never thought SU was the right fit for him(as did several other teammates and friends, we all thought he would go to the U). But I also knew Billy the "Person" as well as the "Player" . Kid was all heart in every thing he did, and the entire family was as well. The last time I spoke with him was in the late 90's. He had some interesting stuff to say about his decision, none of them a negative towards SU or the coaching staff. It was more geared towards the media. Ill keep that to myself but if he is a member here or a lurker even, maybe he see's this post and chimes in.

Sure Billy didn't pan out as the "top QB recruit in NY" but I assure you there will be many others. Is Zembiec one of them? Honestly, until they reach a campus you can't tell. Billy let us all (friends and teammates) in on how this collegiate "factory" really works. It's good for some and bad for others. No biggie. But it takes the right kind of person to really excel without any issues. Billy had the mentality, work ethic and athleticism, but what he didn't have was the answer for all the publicity. The pressure, etc...How many actually do at the QB position when your a stud in HS and then just "another player" at the collegiate level. Think about the movie "One on One" with Robby Benson, that portrayed a HS star trying to mold into the collegiate life. Excellent movie by the way, but after talking to Billy while attending SU, this movie always popped into my head based on things he said.

Best of luck to Zembiec, especially if he ends up Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom