Friendly Reminder | Syracusefan.com

Friendly Reminder

cuse522

2nd String
This happened this week:

After that happened, most people expected us to be in the tournament. Everyone expected us to lose today, we opened as double digit underdogs.

Everyone here would have been thrilled to go 1-1 vs. Duke and Louisville. Margin of defeat doesn't matter, they went 1-1 and one of the wins was a high profile buzzer beater. It was a very good week!

So CHILL OUT, enjoy the rest of the season, and stop thinking we're suddenly on the outside looking in or that the Georgia Tech game became a must win. It's a big game, it has implications, but it's not a must-win.

I predict Cuse wins the game outright. And if they're favored, they may even cover, if it's a small line. ;)

Do we get any Titanic music tonight?

I think we hit the iceburg today. ;):cool::p

I think the Titanic music would actually be far more appropriate today than against Duke. The lyrics didnt make much sense after that, unless all the views came from Duke fans instead of the "it's huuuuuge" Cuse fan base some on here were ascribing them to. I think Fucillo would agree, the only thing huge was that iceberg!

Do we get any Titanic music tonight?

I think we hit the iceburg today. ;):cool::p

In the words of Mary-Chapin Carpenter ...

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug ...

"Sometimes you're a Louisville Slugger, sometimes you're the ball ..."

This happened this week:

After that happened, most people expected us to be in the tournament. Everyone expected us to lose today, we opened as double digit underdogs.

Everyone here would have been thrilled to go 1-1 vs. Duke and Louisville. Margin of defeat doesn't matter, they went 1-1 and one of the wins was a high profile buzzer beater. It was a very good week!

So CHILL OUT, enjoy the rest of the season, and stop thinking we're suddenly on the outside looking in or that the Georgia Tech game became a must win. It's a big game, it has implications, but it's not a must-win.

We either have to win against GT or win an ACCT game. Losing both would be tantamount to russian roulette where we're at the mercy of conference tournament play. One or two bids get stolen and then we're on the outside looking in.

This happened this week:

Georgia Tech is absolutely a must win. If we lose, we might have to win two in the ACC Tournament. Let's say we lose, and you think we have to win one in the ACC Tournament, would you feel good if we had a play-in game in Brooklyn? We have zero wins in the ACC Tourney.

You can say what you want but getting swept by the Yellow Jackets would be very damaging and put us in a dire position.

Last edited:
I don't think we HAVE to win one more. I thought going into the last three we either needed Duke, Louisville or two. We got Duke, so I think we're squarely on the bubble if we lose out (50/50ish). If we win one more, we've got at least a 90% shot of making the tournament.

I really think if we lose both, we are done.
I agree.

If Duke was our last win of the year - we'll be in the NIT. On the flip side - a win Sunday or 1 win in the ACCT ( most likely Miami or VaTech) will get us in. Gotta go 1-1.

I don't think we HAVE to win one more. I thought going into the last three we either needed Duke, Louisville or two. We got Duke, so I think we're squarely on the bubble if we lose out (50/50ish). If we win one more, we've got at least a 90% shot of making the tournament.

That's probably about right although at that point I'd peg our chances at more like 40/60. Finishing 17-15 with both a poor OOC and road resume would be dangerous. Not to mention GT would probably sneak ahead of us by virtue of their two victories over us. I know one thing, if we go 17-15 and get left out there will be no whining from me about how we got jobbed. We would deserve the snub.

So you guys won't watch Selection Sunday if we lose out?

Or you admit we wouldn't be "done?"

I would watch, because I love the selection show, but I would say our chances would be like 2 pct.

That's probably about right although at that point I'd peg our chances at more like 40/60. Finishing 17-15 with both a poor OOC and road resume would be dangerous. Not to mention GT would probably sneak ahead of us by virtue of their two victories over us. I know one thing, if we go 17-15 and get left out there will be no whining from me about how we got jobbed. We would deserve the snub.

Losing both to GT would certainly put them ahead of us if it was head-to-head for the last spot. But, the odds of that happening are pretty low... More likely both teams would be in a pool of 5-6 going for the last spot or two, at which point it just becomes resume against resume against resume. Then what matters is which criteria the committee values most. Their RPI is even worse than ours, for example.

Now, if you get into we lose out and Teams A, B and C win out, then we're in trouble... But that's baked into the odds.

I'm not sure what people were expecting today. Road games against really good teams tend to turn out that way. I hoped we'd be closer, but I'm not shocked.

I do agree with those that think Lydon passes up too many 3s. If we're going to make a run he's going to have to lead us there. Which means shooting it when you have a chance and finishing down low.

Get a week off, take care of business at home against GT. Get our first ever ACCT win, and go from there. Today doesn't really change much.

And you'd have to admit that by the time they're through three regions and no mention of SU that your shorts would be thoroughly soiled. Unless of course the seedings were leaked again.

This happened this week:

I was thrilled to see us go 1-1 this week. That's what we needed to do. So I am not freaking out riht now

But a few issues with your comments:
1) Who are the "they" that expect us to be in the tournament without winning another game after Duke. If you believe that you are getting bad information.
2) Georgia Tech is absolutely a must win. It's at home, we need to win it. Otherwise we force ourselves to win at least one game, and quite possibly 2 ACC Games.

Georgia Tech is absolutely a must win. If we lose, we might have to win two in the ACC Tournament. Let's say we lose, and you think we have to win one in the ACC Tournament, would you feel good if we had a play-in game in Brooklyn? We have zero wins in the ACC Tourney.

You can say what you want but getting swept by the Yellow Jackets would be very damaging and put us in a dire position.
Ga Tech is absolutely a MUST win to get. We re going to get a terrible seed in ACCT. Likely the 8/9 game against a good team like Virginia or VaTech. The winner gets UNC which would not only be a certain loss for us but a lopsided butt kicking. Not a good look. Beat GaTech.

Losing both to GT would certainly put them ahead of us if it was head-to-head for the last spot. But, the odds of that happening are pretty low... More likely both teams would be in a pool of 5-6 going for the last spot or two, at which point it just becomes resume against resume against resume. Then what matters is which criteria the committee values most. Their RPI is even worse than ours, for example.

Now, if you get into we lose out and Teams A, B and C win out, then we're in trouble... But that's baked into the odds.

At 17-15 all it would take is a conference tourney upset or two that leads to a stolen bid and then we'd be toast. At that point there is no margin for error.

And you'd have to admit that by the time they're through three regions and no mention of SU that your shorts would be thoroughly soiled. Unless of course the seedings were leaked again.

I mean I'd obviously be nervous going in, but I'd still think we were in the 50-50 range. Maybe 40-60 or 60-40, depending on what other teams did down the stretch. But when you go .500 in the best conference in the country (BY FAR), beat three top-10 teams and your struggles were early in the year, you've almost always got a shot.

I'm not sure what people were expecting today. Road games against really good teams tend to turn out that way. I hoped we'd be closer, but I'm not shocked.

I do agree with those that think Lydon passes up too many 3s. If we're going to make a run he's going to have to lead us there. Which means shooting it when you have a chance and finishing down low.

Get a week off, take care of business at home against GT. Get our first ever ACCT win, and go from there. Today doesn't really change much.

Agree with all of that. Nothing has changed but today's performance just underscores the serious weaknesses that this team has and why it's difficult to get bullish about what lays ahead in March.

Ga Tech is absolutely a MUST win to get. We re going to get a terrible seed in ACCT. Likely the 8/9 game against a good team like Virginia or VaTech. The winner gets UNC which would not only be a certain loss for us but a lopsided butt kicking. Not a good look. Beat GaTech.

What is the difference in your mind between beating Georgia Tech and losing in the first round of the ACCT or between losing to Tech, winning the first and losing the second? Yeah, 18-14 vs. 18-15, but then one of those wins is on a neutral floor against a WAY better-ranked team in terms of RPI. Thus, those resumes are about the same... Which means Georgia Tech isn't a must-win.

At 17-15 all it would take is a conference tourney upset or two that leads to a stolen bid and then we'd be toast. At that point there is no margin for error.

Sure, that's why I'm saying we'd be roughly a coin flip.

I mean I'd obviously be nervous going in, but I'd still think we were in the 50-50 range. Maybe 40-60 or 60-40, depending on what other teams did down the stretch. But when you go .500 in the best conference in the country (BY FAR), beat three top-10 teams and your struggles were early in the year, you've almost always got a shot.

I'm with you on the "early in the year" part but all I ever hear (here and elsewhere) is the "total body of work" angle. Personally I think too much is made of games that happened three plus months ago. That said, how many 17-15 teams have you ever seen get an NCAA bid?

What is the difference in your mind between beating Georgia Tech and losing in the first round of the ACCT or between losing to Tech, winning the first and losing the second? Yeah, 18-14 vs. 18-15, but then one of those wins is on a neutral floor against a WAY better-ranked team in terms of RPI. Thus, those resumes are about the same... Which means Georgia Tech isn't a must-win.

Sure, that's why I'm saying we'd be roughly a coin flip.

Problem is that the likelihood of a stolen bid is probably greater than winning a coin flip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom