From a Mizzou season ticket holder | Syracusefan.com

From a Mizzou season ticket holder

Which jersey should I wear?

Votes: 17 89.5%

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

KingOtis

All Conference
First things first: This will be the first time I've seen the SU football team in person in over ten years. Can't wait.

On to some info about Mizzou: Their defense can be nasty, especially at home. DT Sheldon Richardson is a beast. Tennessee aired it out in the first half last week with great success, so that might be the right approach for Nassib and company. Conservative play-calling will probably result in another Minnesota game.

The offense isn't anywhere near as explosive as it was when Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert were the QBs. James Franklin is awful. He can lose a game by himself...in fact, he already has (Florida). He's also banged up and not as mobile as he was earlier in the year. Mizzou runs most of their plays from the gun, which makes it difficult to get anything going with the running game, especially in short-yardage situations.

Gary Pinkel is one stubborn football coach. He should have spent the offseason figuring out an offense that would cater to his players (including freshman WR Dorial Green-Beckham, who hasn't done much, save for the two big TDs last week). Instead, it's the same old spread with a quarterback who can't throw.

Pinkel doesn't do much in the way of adjustments, either. He's good for two or three bonehead calls every game. The combination of Pinkel's "coaching" and Franklin's "playmaking" is why they blew the Georgia game in the fourth quarter.

Now for the big question: Which jersey should I wear, #44 or #5?

I'd go with #44. There is an outside chance someone there might know the significance of that number. Unlikely anyone would remember or even know of the great #5 Bill Hurley! (That is who you have #5 for right? ;) )

Oh and thanks for the info about Mizzou. Go Orange!

Just the fact that you mention them "blowing" games against Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee is enough to make me concerned.

I say they have to be orange, I refuse to wear anything unless it is all orange to their games.

I say they have to be orange, I refuse to wear anything unless it is all orange to their games.

The only orange jersey I have is an old school basketball jersey with the cursive lettering. It's a #44, though.

i see a few orange #44 jerseys out there, I even saw an #5 orange one at the Louisville game. I was so impressed how all the Penn State fans all had their own numbers on their jerseys when they came to Cuse a few years ago, where is the marketing arm of the school. I want more orange.

Just the fact that you mention them "blowing" games against Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee is enough to make me concerned.

And we blew games against NW, USC and Rutgers. Does that ease the worry?

As a Tiger fan I gotta say, that's a horrific evaluation.

1. Pinkel used to be blamed for a lack of adjustments but that's been gone for 3-4 years. The Vols game is a perfect example of how that charge has been destroyed. The Vols had almost 400 yards of offense in the 1st half and were stuffed in the 2nd. I'm not sure how you determined he's stubborn. Maybe Yost is stubborn at the OC but even that isn't a very good assessment even though it's a common assessment by negative "fans". I have absolutely no idea how you determine Pinkel is good for several bone headed plays per game since he's not a play caller or coordinator for either side of the ball.
2. Franklin isn't awful. He's been hurt. When he's healthy and has time, he's a decent spread QB. He's not anywhere near healthy yet but he's far less of a run threat than last year.
3. It's difficult to run from the shotgun? Lawrence is averaging 5.2 ypc. You might want to review what Oregon has been doing.
4. You said Berkstresser is the better QB in the other tread. I can't imagine HOW anyone could make that determination. He's a redshirt freshman who is completing <50% of his throws and appears lost. Sorry, that's weak analysis. Berkstresser will be the #3 QB next season most likely.

If I were Syracuse I would
a) blitz blitz blitz. The Tigers Oline is playing the best it's played all season but it's not great. Put pressure on the center and you'll get some bad snaps throwing off their timing - he's young. Try and confuse them and you'll likely succeed.
b) stack up the defense on the left side - MU likes to run right but Lawrence is very good and changing directions. Losing Britt is probably a very good thing for the Tigers. He's not very good at RT and was HORRIBLE last year at LT replacing Fisher. His replacement has played better and will likely keep the starting job next season.
c) The Tigers defense comes down to 1 thing primarily. If they can get pressure with the front 4, they'll control the game and force turn overs. If they can't get pressure and are forced to blitz, they will struggle all game long. The Florida O-line isn't all that great, Mizzou did very well. Tennessee has 4 guys headed to the NFL most likely on their oline, Mizzou struggled mightily. Richardson is a beast at DT but the rest of the Tiger's d-line is basically average. The Tigers are a top 10 team in the country at stopping on 3rd down.
d) Syracuse can't physically beat Franklin and hope to hurt him. He's bigger than any of the starters Syracuse will play at LBer and he's finally about 90% healthy.

Lastly, big key to the game is EJ Gaines, Tigers CB. He left the Vols game with a sprained ankle and never returned. He's practicing and listed as a starter. If he can't play, that's not good for the Tigers. I'd think Nassib could pick apart the 2nd and 3rd CBs if that happens.

1. Pinkel used to be blamed for a lack of adjustments but that's been gone for 3-4 years. The Vols game is a perfect example of how that charge has been destroyed. The Vols had almost 400 yards of offense in the 1st half and were stuffed in the 2nd. I'm not sure how you determined he's stubborn. Maybe Yost is stubborn at the OC but even that isn't a very good assessment even though it's a common assessment by negative "fans". I have absolutely no idea how you determine Pinkel is good for several bone headed plays per game since he's not a play caller or coordinator for either side of the ball.
2. Franklin isn't awful. He's been hurt. When he's healthy and has time, he's a decent spread QB. He's not anywhere near healthy yet but he's far less of a run threat than last year.
3. It's difficult to run from the shotgun? Lawrence is averaging 5.2 ypc. You might want to review what Oregon has been doing.
4. You said Berkstresser is the better QB in the other tread. I can't imagine HOW anyone could make that determination. He's a redshirt freshman who is completing <50% of his throws and appears lost. Sorry, that's weak analysis. Berkstresser will be the #3 QB next season most likely.

If I were Syracuse I would
a) blitz blitz blitz. The Tigers Oline is playing the best it's played all season but it's not great. Put pressure on the center and you'll get some bad snaps throwing off their timing - he's young. Try and confuse them and you'll likely succeed.
b) stack up the defense on the left side - MU likes to run right but Lawrence is very good and changing directions. Losing Britt is probably a very good thing for the Tigers. He's not very good at RT and was HORRIBLE last year at LT replacing Fisher. His replacement has played better and will likely keep the starting job next season.
c) The Tigers defense comes down to 1 thing primarily. If they can get pressure with the front 4, they'll control the game and force turn overs. If they can't get pressure and are forced to blitz, they will struggle all game long. The Florida O-line isn't all that great, Mizzou did very well. Tennessee has 4 guys headed to the NFL most likely on their oline, Mizzou struggled mightily. Richardson is a beast at DT but the rest of the Tiger's d-line is basically average. The Tigers are a top 10 team in the country at stopping on 3rd down.
d) Syracuse can't physically beat Franklin and hope to hurt him. He's bigger than any of the starters Syracuse will play at LBer and he's finally about 90% healthy.

Lastly, big key to the game is EJ Gaines, Tigers CB. He left the Vols game with a sprained ankle and never returned. He's practicing and listed as a starter. If he can't play, that's not good for the Tigers. I'd think Nassib could pick apart the 2nd and 3rd CBs if that happens.
Thanks...here's to a great game and a bowl eligible Cuse team.

Did you say blitz? *salivates*

1. One game doesn't prove anything. Pinkel's background is as an offensive coach and the spread offense is what he chooses to run, so anyone who follows the Tigers knows that criticizing the lack of adjustments refers to the offense. Pinkel is the one who makes the call to go for it on fourth down or to fake a punt. What, did you think his role was to stand there and look pretty for the cameras? The visor is nice and all, but please.
2. If the best you can say is that Franklin is decent when healthy, then we're just arguing over semantics.
3. It's difficult for Mizzou to run from the shotgun. It's great that Lawrence can break off a 77-yard run from time to time. Are you suggesting that they run the ball well in short-yardage situations? And are you seriously comparing them to Oregon? With a straight face and everything?
4. T.J. Moe thinks Berkstresser is the better QB. Take it up with him. If you're going to criticize my analysis, the least you could do is reference it accurately.

Lets keep it simple...our offensive line has to show up and play a great game. If Nassib has time in the pocket, he can beat this team. If Jerome gets a crease, he can break some big gainers. Defensively, bend but dont break. Louisville is a far more dangerous offense, and ghey did their thing ..but we won. Because we had it rolling on offense. Nassib needs time to throw and our backs needs good blocking. They are good enough to beat a good team if they dont hang 45 on you.

One last thing. Let's not get carried away with this alleged size advantage for Franklin. He's listed at 6-2, 225. That's the same as McNabb when he was at Syracuse, so I'd say that's a generous listing for Franklin. He's skinny, which is part of the reason why he keeps getting hurt. "90% healthy" is also generous.

One last thing. Let's not get carried away with this alleged size advantage for Franklin. He's listed at 6-2, 225. That's the same as McNabb when he was at Syracuse, so I'd say that's a generous listing for Franklin. He's skinny, which is part of the reason why he keeps getting hurt. "90% healthy" is also generous.
Other point to his #4 is that if certain players on our defense hit him, he will be physically beat, and hurt.

Other point to his #4 is that if certain players on our defense hit him, he will be physically beat, and hurt.
Just want Franklin to feel like McNabb vs Miami. Not hurting per say but puking would be fine.

Just want Franklin to feel like McNabb vs Miami. Not hurting per say but puking would be fine.

I assume you mean 1995 and 1996 and not 1997 or 1998 right? Do we have to consult the Kaiser for a complete McNabb emesis tally?

Or were you thinking of Marvin Graves in 1992?

I assume you mean 1995 and 1996 and not 1997 or 1998 right? Do we have to consult the Kaiser for a complete McNabb emesis tally?

Or were you thinking of Marvin Graves in 1992?
I thought it was McNabb but my memory isn't what it used to be. I blame the GRob era for making me drink mass quantities of beer and killing to many brain cells. I'll defer to anyones history of 'Cuse football in the 90's. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom