From ACC Sports Twitter... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

From ACC Sports Twitter...

Or they change the rules so that Navy is one of the five they play ever year.
That would have to be part of the deal. ND has an agreement with Navy to play them each year forever. Any conference arrangement would have to include the ability for ND to play Navy each year either as a conference opponent or OOC.

This makes no sense for ND or Navy. Both want to play EVERY year in FB. Navy to the ACC would mean they only play once every THREE years. Unless ND comes for FB, I cannot see Navy happening.
It does make sense for ND w/o joining for FB:
1 - I assume that they rarely, if ever, go to Annapolis. Games are either at ND or special locations. If ND joined, that arrangement would end and they'd be playing home and homes like everyone else. This works against ND joining the ACC.

2- Without ND joining for FB, Navy becomes part of the five game ACC agreement. They could still play every year like they always do, but some of those games would be outside the agreement (we discussed this in terms of the SU/ND Meadowlands series a while ago). Essentially, they'd go from 18 required/committed games (5 games per year vs ACC and one vs Navy) over a three year period to 17 games. Every third year, ND would get to incorporate them into the agreement which would create room for them to schedule another non-ACC game, probably against a more profitable opponent or at an exotic location.

3 - If they were really brazen, ND could push to have the Navy game count as one of the agreed-upon games more often, if not every year. I would hope they wouldn't push it that far or that the ACC wouldn't cave, but you never know who will have leverage as events unfold.

Or they change the rules so that Navy is one of the five they play ever year.

But that only helps ND is Navy is one of the 5 games. Adding a 6th game makes zero difference to them. If Navy is one of the 5 games then the other 13 ACC teams play ND once in 3.25 years vs once in 3 which is worse for everyone in the ACC. So why make that concession if you are the ACC schools?

But that only helps ND is Navy is one of the 5 games. Adding a 6th game makes zero difference to them. If Navy is one of the 5 games then the other 13 ACC teams play ND once in 3.25 years vs once in 3 which is worse for everyone in the ACC. So why make that concession if you are the ACC schools?

My guess would be because they are panicking to stay afloat.

I think if the ACC adds Navy without seeing how it would play with ND first, they deserve the same fate as the BE. Not happening without ND's stamp of approval.

My guess would be because they are panicking to stay afloat.
Exactly, the ACC does not have a whole lot of leverage over the past two weeks.

Because ND just finished the regular season undefeated and it's like winning an oscar, you get to make your own rules for a while.

What part of Navy being in the MD market (FYI the ACC just lost their foothold in that market) and Navy having a rivalry with ND that has been going on for 4oo years do people not seem to grasp?

Obviously the ACC is trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here if they move forward with it - get back in the MD market and give ND yet another reason to join as a full member. It's not rocket science (or to Coach P, rocketship science - ha). Navy has good academics, has gone to bowls 8 of the last 9 years, actually beat ND in 3 of their last 5 meetings, and also isn't going to have the $$$ problems that MD did/does.

It doesn't appease FSU, but that's what Louisville is for.

1 - I assume that they rarely, if ever, go to Annapolis. Games are either at ND or special locations. If ND joined, that arrangement would end and they'd be playing home and homes like everyone else. This works against ND joining the ACC.

They don't play at Annapolis, but they have played at Baltimore 3 of their last 5 "away" games, and those games have drawn 70k plus. The other 2 games were played in the Meadowlands and in Dublin.

I truly doubt ND would be forced to play them at Annapolis, I think the Baltimore thing is a precedent that the ACC would encourage.

2012 Dublin Ireland
2011 S Bend
2010 E Rutherford NJ
2009 S Bend
2008 Baltimore
2007 S Bend
2006 Baltimore
2005 S Bend
2004 E Rutherford NJ
2003 S Bend
2002 Baltimore
2001 S Bend
2000 Orlando Fl
1999 S Bend
1998 Landover Md
1997 S Bend
1996 Dublin Ireland
1995 & 1994 S Bend
1993 Philadelphia Pa
1992 E Rutherford NJ

The Big East may not be done reinventing itself after losing West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse and now Rutgers. With Maryland headed for the Big Ten, the word on the street was that UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati -- or some combination -- could be headed to the ACC (USF was also mentioned as a possibility).

In theory, great news for the Huskies … except that CBSSports.com's Jeremy Fowler writes that the logistics and timing may complicate things.

Sources tell Fowler that the ACC could name Maryland's replacement as soon as this week but that it's unlikely that the conference would expand membership from 14 to 16 schools.

Translation: three available spots have possibly dwindled to one. But there is good news: the Huskies are still the front runners. Details via Fowler:

UConn and Louisville are the favorites for the league's future 14th team. Maryland's defection to the Big Ten leaves the ACC with 13 entering the 2013 season. The league feels well-prepared for realignment talk after dealing with the additions of Pitt and Syracuse just 14 months ago, according to a source.​
The ACC's 4-4-4 committee -- composed of presidents, athletic directors and faculty reps -- has been in the process of gathering information for the presidents. To add a school, ACC presidents would need a three-fourths-majority vote.​

While UConn has been mum on their long-term plans since Pitt and Syracuse announced they were leaving last year, president Susan Herbst has stated previously that the university would do what was in it's best interests. And given the speed at which programs are bolting the Big East for perceived greener pastures, it's fair to assume that the Huskies' "best interests" align with joining the ACC. We could know for certain in the coming days.

ACC Could Name 14th Member This Week

Why does Navy appease ND? I'm not disputing the point, I'm just interested in finding out why.

The Navy rented out ND dorms during WWII to house USN personnel. This helped out ND when enrollments were down and may have saved the University from financial ruin. In return for that favor, ND plays Navy every year. Inviting them to the ACC would allow ND to fulfill their obligation to the conference by doing something they would have done anyway. Thus, ND has to play fewer existing ACC members each year.

I think this is all a diversion from what the ACC is about to pull off:

Adding UT, Oak and ND Full time.

I think this is all a diversion from what the ACC is about to pull off:

Adding UT, Oak and ND Full time.

The Raiders? I wonder if that was the secret in Al Davis's will.

Actually could make sense for the ACC.
Louisville as #14 -- to satisfy (somewhat) football schools FSU and Clemson. Southern presence is attractive to schools that feel there too many northern schools.
UConn as #15 - academics satisfy the presidents.
Navy as #16 - for football and Lax only. Provides presence in DC/Balt media market. Strong academics. National name brand. Also attractive to ND who plays them every year. On paper it boosts the ACC deal to 6 games annually without actually subtracting anything from ND on the OOC side.
ND remains football independent with 6 ACC games (including Navy every yr.) and 6 OOC. ND is the 16th team for basketball plus Olympic sports and lax.

If the ACC is convinced they cannot attract schools to leave the other BCS conferences, this might be the best solution they can get.

My newest is Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. Terrible casting.
Bernie Mac as Bosley in Charlie's 2. I mean the whole movie was crap so this fit right in but really?

Actually could make sense for the ACC.
Louisville as #14 -- to satisfy (somewhat) football schools FSU and Clemson. Southern presence is attractive to schools that feel there too many northern schools.
UConn as #15 - academics satisfy the presidents.
Navy as #16 - for football and Lax only. Provides presence in DC/Balt media market. Strong academics. National name brand. Also attractive to ND who plays them every year. On paper it boosts the ACC deal to 6 games annually without actually subtracting anything from ND on the OOC side.
ND remains football independent with 6 ACC games (including Navy every yr.) and 6 OOC. ND is the 16th team for basketball plus Olympic sports and lax.

If the ACC is convinced they cannot attract schools to leave the other BCS conferences, this might be the best solution they can get.

There's 3 northern schools now in the ACC. If that bothers the southern schools, we've got serious issues.

Inviting those teams is a page from the BE playbook.