From bill simmons today | Syracusefan.com

From bill simmons today

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
talking about the thomas robinson trade...

Simmons: Here's what NBA history has shown us — you always want to target a high lottery pick who's available because he's either underachieving or playing for a team that doesn't know what it's doing. It's the best way to luck out with a potential All-Star if you never actually have the chance to pick high in the lottery. If you get them when they're young, even better. Some of my favorite examples: Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Mike Bibby, Rip Hamilton, Joe Johnson, Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby … it's just happened too many times. That's why I would be targeting Minnesota's Derrick Williams today. He's available for 50 cents on the dollar, he's playing out of position for a lottery team, and there's a good chance that he might thrive in the right spot. Always bet on lottery talent. Well, unless it's Jonny Flynn or Wesley Johnson.

I don't like the meme that has developed about SU guys in the pros. Not cool...

In all fairness - Jonny was a waterbug high energy guy who was put into a system that destroyed his confidence and completely stunted his development. Add that to a major hip injury and it was over. He also was drafted way too high for a borderline 6'0 PG. Wes Johnson was a good shooting SF/SG with good athleticism. Again drafted far too high. The stupidity of the drafting methodology for those two has to be taken into account. Then look at a guy like Dion who is having a really good rookie year and only getting better and more efficient.

MCW and Waiters starting backcourt for the Eastern conference in 2016 would help offset this notion...

I don't like the meme that has developed about SU guys in the pros. Not cool...
What college produces good pros these days?

Look at the all star rosters, no school has more than 2 players. UNC, Kansas, and IU have none.

We've got Melo and Waiters who look like they will have good to excellent careers in the pros. We've got MCW, who looks primed for a good career. And Grant is another guy on the roster who looks like he'll be a good pro.

In a couple years we could have 4 solid NBA rotation players in the league.

talking about the thomas robinson trade...

Simmons: Here's what NBA history has shown us — you always want to target a high lottery pick who's available because he's either underachieving or playing for a team that doesn't know what it's doing. It's the best way to luck out with a potential All-Star if you never actually have the chance to pick high in the lottery. If you get them when they're young, even better. Some of my favorite examples: Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Mike Bibby, Rip Hamilton, Joe Johnson, Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby … it's just happened too many times. That's why I would be targeting Minnesota's Derrick Williams today. He's available for 50 cents on the dollar, he's playing out of position for a lottery team, and there's a good chance that he might thrive in the right spot. Always bet on lottery talent. Well, unless it's Jonny Flynn or Wesley Johnson.
Should have read, "Well, unless the lottery pick was made by Minnesota."

Has nothing to do with our guys sucking, and everything to do with Minnesota making incredibly stupid draft day decisions.

I think a lot of those guys weren't given away because they stunk. It was because they were problems or they were traded for good players. Not given away.

Webber choked his coach and was traded for 3 1st round draft picks and Tom Guglioutta. Then traded for Mitch richmond.
Kidd had some issues early on and didn;t get a long with Jim Jackson. he was traded for Michael Finley who average over 20points multiple seasons for Dallas.
Rasheed wallace had a terrible attitude and he wasn't traded for nothing, they got Rod Strickland in return.
Chauncey Billups took like 8 years and 4 teams before he became an allstar with Detroit and he was traded for Kenny Anderson
Rip Hamilton was traded for Jerry Stackhouse who was averaging 21 points a game.
bibby was averaging 15 points a game when traded and was traded for Jason Williams who averaged 15 pts8 assists after. So he wasn't traded for nothing.
Camby was averaging 3.7 blocks a game when he was traded so he wasn't playing bad then all of a sudden played awesome.

Guy should have better examples

Also couldn't he say the same about Wesley Johnson. He has only played for one team and isn't used at all. Idiot

Should have read, "Well, unless the lottery pick was made by Minnesota."

Has nothing to do with our guys sucking, and everything to do with Minnesota making incredibly stupid draft day decisions.
No doubt. They have one of the best foundation players in the NBA in Kevin Love and they can't climb out of the basement.

What college produces good pros these days?

Look at the all star rosters, no school has more than 2 players. UNC, Kansas, and IU have none.

We've got Melo and Waiters who look like they will have good to excellent careers in the pros. We've got MCW, who looks primed for a good career. And Grant is another guy on the roster who looks like he'll be a good pro.

In a couple years we could have 4 solid NBA rotation players in the league.

Unfortunately this isn't all about All Star berths. Fab/Wes are treading water with their NBA careers. Same with Warrick. Who knows how much PT Hak will ever get moving forward. We basically have Melo and Waiters.

Duke has a big reputation for busts but Redick, Irving, Duhon, Singler, Boozer, Battier, Dunleavy Jr., Livingston, Gerald Henderson all play minutes.

Lets look at Kansas. Pierce, Hinrich, Collison, Morris twins, Robinson, Xavier Henry/Selby (they are in Wes territory), Brandon Rush, Chalmers.

MCW and Waiters starting backcourt for the Eastern conference in 2016 would help offset this notion...
That will be the East's starting backcourt only if Kyrie Irving signs with a West team.

Unfortunately this isn't all about All Star berths. Fab/Wes are treading water with their NBA careers. Same with Warrick. Who knows how much PT Hak will ever get moving forward. We basically have Melo and Waiters.

Duke has a big reputation for busts but Redick, Irving, Duhon, Singler, Boozer, Battier, Dunleavy Jr., Livingston, Gerald Henderson all play minutes.

Lets look at Kansas. Pierce, Hinrich, Collison, Morris twins, Robinson, Xavier Henry/Selby (they are in Wes territory), Brandon Rush, Chalmers.

tumblr_lngvljyTYX1qltb20o1_500.png

Also couldn't he say the same about Wesley Johnson. He has only played for one team and isn't used at all. Idiot

Yes, I should've added that in my post. Simmons is an idiot, and I was no longer amused by his shtick the second or third time I read his tripe-column.

Seems to me like Syracuse is an awfully successful program with less than elite talent.

And who would have thought that a guy who played three-quarters of one decent season of college basketball (before flunking out) would struggle in the NBA's D-league?

I think a lot of those guys weren't given away because they stunk. It was because they were problems or they were traded for good players. Not given away.

Webber choked his coach and was traded for 3 1st round draft picks and Tom Guglioutta. Then traded for Mitch richmond.
Kidd had some issues early on and didn;t get a long with Jim Jackson. he was traded for Michael Finley who average over 20points multiple seasons for Dallas.
Rasheed wallace had a terrible attitude and he wasn't traded for nothing, they got Rod Strickland in return.
Chauncey Billups took like 8 years and 4 teams before he became an allstar with Detroit and he was traded for Kenny Anderson
Rip Hamilton was traded for Jerry Stackhouse who was averaging 21 points a game.
bibby was averaging 15 points a game when traded and was traded for Jason Williams who averaged 15 pts8 assists after. So he wasn't traded for nothing.
Camby was averaging 3.7 blocks a game when he was traded so he wasn't playing bad then all of a sudden played awesome.

You do know that Wes can barely get off the bench in PHX and Flynn couldn't make the team in HOU right?

Um, no he didn't. You're thinking of Latrell Sprewell.

My bad. Your right. Weber and Nelson also didn't get along but I got it mixed up with the choking. For some reason I thought they had an altercation though or close too it.

Oh, and by the way, Wes Johnson has not only played for one team. He has played for the Wolves and the Suns.

Yeah. Haven't been following the pros or Wes. I suck at the NBA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom