From the Duke Fan Forum... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

From the Duke Fan Forum...

I wanted to call their fans a bunch of d-bags. And based on that I can't. Very disappointed.

EDIT: most of this post was not aimed at you. And based on your wishes, I'd say, "Fear not!". Maybe watch some games at Cameron and those hands reaching at players, and/or read the rest of this post, if you want inspiration to keep your current view! ;) Ok, the rest was my original post:

You do have to realize that is a VERY small selection of many fans. Even the "idiot" kids on TV, who far outnumber that small selection of quotes, are overall another small number.

The best post Ive read in this thread was from Forza Azzurri. Last week the quotes would likely have been a lot less reserved. Vegas, who do this professionally, has us at -11.5 at last look. Professional handicappers dont play with reservation like nervous fans after seeing a bunch of upsets.

My question is, were the Duke fans any different with their posts before(and after) the last game? To me, it's logical that those posts would be how they truly feel about our team, without focusing on a number of seemingly unrelated upsets. I mean, I'm sure you could cull a dozen nice quotes from the group responsible for the most deaths of all time in the world, the Bolsheviks, for a short period of time in a certain situation, amongst a certain subset of them.

Im not making any judgment on Duke fans, I'm just saying those who did in here based on a such a miniscule sampling at a VERY weird time in the tournament where people are naturally more guarded, may be a bit off base. Luckily, it's not a matter of any great import, where most Westerners are just as off base(if not further).

EDIT #2: I came on here(or at least earlier my plan was to come on hours earlier, before nearly losing my life earlier tonight and hitting the bottle for awhile to calm down before coming on here and posting like I'd planned to after a trip to the LQ) looking to find a some posts to make me take heart and toss aside the 11.5 point line, our other meeting, and numerous other ACC games. I did see a very few posts in this thread who attempted to do that, an I wanted to thank you. When it comes to bettering, I'm having trouble taking even the 11.5 points, although I ultimately may. I appreciate the postive, yet thoughtful posts that painted a brighter picture than I had even before the trauma, lol. For those about to rock(or who did, in this case), we salute you! I wont say it made me completely stop drinking after earlier, but I think it will slow me down and think I have something good to look forward to.

Last edited:
i think they overstate their talent advantage. to be clear, i think they certainly do have a talent advantage, but not as wide as they assume. i think their frontcourt is clearly better, but i also think our backcourt is better.

i think they overstate their talent advantage. to be clear, i think they certainly do have a talent advantage, but not as wide as they assume. i think their frontcourt is clearly better, but i also think our backcourt is better.

I'm not sure how much I want to touch that one...but the post that talked about our skinny centers(something Ive complained about for years on here, off and on) seemed to make sense to me. I hope that post was wrong.

Like I said at the end of my longer post, I came on here hoping to leave feeling better than before, and you and a few others have made me feel a bit better. I'm grateful.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much I want to touch that one...but the post that talked about our skinny centers(something Ive complained about for years on here, off and on) seemed to make sense to me. I hope that post was wrong.

Like I said at the end of my longer post, I came on here hoping to leave feeling better than before, and you and a few others have made me feel a bit better. I'm grateful.
in conference play, howard & battle were 77/231 from three - .333
allen & duval were 61/195 - .313
defensively, i don't think the dukies are even close to tyus & frank

but of course, our frontline doesn't come close to theirs . . . on paper.

in conference play, howard & battle were 77/231 from three - .333
allen & duval were 61/195 - .313
defensively, i don't think the dukies are even close to tyus & frank

but of course, our frontline doesn't come close to theirs . . . on paper.
I have always found the frontcourt, backcourt terminology to be backward, given where each group plays, particularly in the zone. The backcourt is at front of of the zone, the front court at the back of the zone.

I have always found the frontcourt, backcourt terminology to be backward, given where each group plays, particularly in the zone. The backcourt is at front of of the zone, the front court at the back of the zone.
I think those terms derive from where the players generally are on offense.

We held them from the outside like we needed to in the first game with them shooting 2-18 from 3, but Bagley and Carter owned us on the inside. I'm worried about that again. Absolute need to contain them somewhat without getting in foul trouble. Neither Frank, Oshae or Tyus had a good game in the first game. Oshae was truly awful - probably his worst game of the season. I'd be surprised if none of them had a good game tomorrow night.

That being said, I'd be surprised if we won tomorrow night. But I didn't expect to beat Michigan State, so we absolutely have a chance, particularly with our defense playing at another level.

Is this Boeheim's swan song victory? I think no, that was last week over Izzo.
giphy.gif

We held them from the outside like we needed to in the first game with them shooting 2-18 from 3, but Bagley and Carter owned us on the inside. I'm worried about that again. Absolute need to contain them somewhat without getting in foul trouble. Neither Frank, Oshae or Tyus had a good game in the first game. Oshae was truly awful - probably his worst game of the season. I'd be surprised if none of them had a good game tomorrow night.

That being said, I'd be surprised if we won tomorrow night. But I didn't expect to beat Michigan State, so we absolutely have a chance, particularly with our defense playing at another level.

I fully expect PC to foul Carter/Bagley by the 17 minute mark, then pick up a second foul around the 14min mark, probably on something like a moving screen.

I fully expect PC to foul Carter/Bagley by the 17 minute mark, then pick up a second foul around the 14min mark, probably on something like a moving screen.

I'm worried about that too. If he is going to foul, he at least needs to make the count and not the moving screen variety.

I'm worried about that too. If he is going to foul, he at least needs to make the count and not the moving screen variety.

Especially since that's such a preventable foul, compared to getting called for a hack on a shot block or something like that. He needs to play smart!

I suspect that, if this game had been last Sunday, these comments may have looked a lot more like the MSU board.

And if this were the MSU board after beating Duke, the tone of the comments might be different.
Spot on. Don't give their fan board too much credit. Comments are tempered a bit because they are nervous. Go Orange!!!

Spot on. Don't give their fan board too much credit. Comments are tempered a bit because they are nervous. Go Orange!!!

Agreed. Beating MSU in a virtual home game for them shows that, regardless of record or seed, teams would be foolish to take us lightly at this point.

Had we beaten Duke in second round and were playing MSU in sweet sixteen, it would have proved same and I believe MSU fans would be more tempered with their comments.

One key for me is whether our big three have the patience and ability to get it to Marek in the middle. No doubt he can do things once he gets it, but he’s got to get it and get it consistently and often.

JB has been all over him after those unnecessary fouls. Against MSU he left his feet to block a jump shot, reached on an entry pass and whatever that half dunk fall down thing was.

It’s going to be called tight. Please Chuk let this be the game where you are disciplined. Make them count.

JB has been all over him after those unnecessary fouls. Against MSU he left his feet to block a jump shot, reached on an entry pass and whatever that half dunk fall down thing was.

It’s going to be called tight. Please Chuk let this be the game where you are disciplined. Make them count.
It would not be unprecedented. Chukwu has logged big minutes in plently of games this season when Sidibe has been either limited or unavailable. Hell, Chukwu averaging over 27 minutes per game has been quite remarkable, considering his relative lack of experience coming into the season. He's fought through nagging injuries to do so, too, and has really anchored SU's excellent interior defense.

Duke is bound to choke. But not in this game. Blowout city.

It would not be unprecedented. Chukwu has logged big minutes in plently of games this season when Sidibe has been either limited or unavailable. Hell, Chukwu averaging over 27 minutes per game has been quite remarkable, considering his relative lack of experience coming into the season. He's fought through nagging injuries to do so, too, and has really anchored SU's excellent interior defense.

All true. Which is why it’s imperitive he stays out of foul trouble. Tourney games are called tighter.

I hope Otto knocks Grayson Allen out in pre game warm ups...cant stand that kids dirty antics...

Calling for dirty antics to take out their player because of his dirty antics. The irony is delicious.

And darn them fellers for being so sensible in their comments, for the most part...

Folks need to remember the game a month ago was at Cameron. We are on a neutral court this time, our defense seems more focused and Dolezaj has stepped up his game a notch. As said above, we have nothing to lose but it will be interesting to see how the Duke freshman play under pressure of trying not to lose. Finally I am betting this is the game Battle and Howard regain their scoring punch. Lets Go Orange!

A week removed from that strep throat is going to help Frank re-emerge. Need him to play smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom