from the PC | Syracusefan.com

from the PC

We've got 7 out of 9 positions filled.

Need an OL coach and a DB coach.

any link to this pc?

It can be argued that the OL hire is the most important one so I for one am anxiously waiting for it.

Still two opportunities for big time recruiting hires to.

Recruiting coordinator position seems to be open as well - I'd prefer McDonald not handle all the admin work of that job either and just focus on the offense.

Love that Shafer himself used the phrase "got the band back together again." Sweet.

Yet another reason about why the other assistants, besides Hackett, weren't given a heads up that Shaf was bringing in his own guys. This might not have been completely Marrone's doing. Impossible to say otherwise.

Yet another reason about why the other assistants, besides Hackett, weren't given a heads up that Shaf was bringing in his own guys. This might not have been completely Marrone's doing. Impossible to say otherwise.

True. I'd love to know the truth about what went on behind closed doors. Did Shaf want the house cleaned so he could bring in his own guys? Or did he just bring in his own guys when openings were created?

in other words either shafer didn't respect the work the other guys did or they didn't respect him.

in other words either shafer didn't respect the work the other guys did or they didn't respect him.

Or respected others more.

Listen to Shafer talk about the players' reactions to meeting the new coaches. At least some of the departures were a surprise to him.

Or wanted a job at the top of their profession that also paid more.

The one thing I got out of the PC is that Shafer likes his coaches hard-nosed and follicly-challenged. Five men hired to the staff and only enough combined hair on their heads for one man. They're one Lester head of hair away from being the college coach version of the Coneheads.

The one thing I got out of the PC is that Shafer likes his coaches hard-nosed and follicly-challenged. Five men hired to the staff and only enough combined hair on their heads for one man. They're one Lester head of hair away from being the college coach version of the Coneheads.

I've heard a condition of Lester's hire was that he shaved his head.

Nah Bees, it doesn't necessarily mean that. I've been in a lot of situations where my co-workers were perfectly acceptable people who did fine at their jobs, but weren't necessarily who I would have chosen as my co-workers if I was given the choice. If I were to start my own firm, I'd probably add some of those co-workers and a bunch of other co-workers I loved working with at another firm previously. It doesn't mean I don't respect the co-workers I wouldn't take to my new firm, just that they maybe don't fit my personality perfectly and some of my co-workers from previous employment fit better.

Bring me your leader!!!!! This could be up for post of the year.

Bring me your leader!!!!! This could be up for post of the year.
Two coordinators with shaved heads and the only dome in a BCS conference.

H-NSS does indeed like domes. They are hard-nosed.

Quotables:

Shafer:

On McDonald - “By far the best WR coach I’ve ever been associated with”

On scheme - “scheme is overrated”

On recruits:

“We’re going to calm the waters”

“a lot of people coming in trying to poach them”

“that s the fight we’re ready for”

“We’ll get in their homes and talk to them.”

On Lea:

“interviewed Lea 2 conventions ago when they were interviewing Morrison.” <So Lea’s been on the radar for some time.>

On Bollough:

MSU head coach at the time of Bollough’s playing days said “Bollough was the smartest LB he’d ever coached”

George McDonald

“Our vision going into the ACC is to take the next step”

I’m looking for “gym rats.”

On JUCOS: juco philosophy and recruiting them will be up to coach Shafer. 2 general reasons to recruit a juco; more mature than a HS kid, need the body - stop gap until you can fill the position with HS kid.

On recruiting: no territories assigned yet. that'll come later. McDonald said he'll recruit anywhere coach Shafer tells him to recruit. South Florida, New Jersey or Canada "with a parka". Said other coaches on the staff are good recruiters and any of them can recruit South Florida. Most of them have and everybody based on experiences have recruited nationally.

When all you get is a cryptic, "resigned for personal reasons", the speculation is inevitable. It certainly appears that Morrison was bumped aside when the opportunity to land a preferred coach presented itself to Shafer. The timing is suspicious - Morrison announces he is leaving and almost instantly, Shafer lands an unbelievably well qualified replacement. What a delightful coincidence! This sounds somewhat like Bruce Arians' "retirement" from coaching last year in Pittsburgh, which was followed about a week later by his "unretirement" and appointment as offensive coordinator for the Colts. Perhaps Morrison really did resign for personal reasons, but history suggests that very few career coaches voluntary walk away from well paid, highly sought after jobs coaching at a BCS school in order to suddenly pursue another interest.

When all you get is a cryptic, "resigned for personal reasons", the speculation is inevitable. It certainly appears that Morrison was bumped aside when the opportunity to land a preferred coach presented itself to Shafer. The timing is suspicious - Morrison announces he is leaving and almost instantly, Shafer lands an unbelievably well qualified replacement. What a delightful coincidence! This sounds somewhat like Bruce Arians' "retirement" from coaching last year in Pittsburgh, which was followed about a week later by his "unretirement" and appointment as offensive coordinator for the Colts. Perhaps Morrison really did resign for personal reasons, but history suggests that very few career coaches voluntary walk away from well paid, highly sought after jobs coaching at a BCS school in order to suddenly pursue another interest.

He was the preferred coach last year. Shafer said he interviewed both Morrison and Lea - and hired Morrison. I'm inclined to believe Shafer.

He was the preferred coach last year. Shafer said he interviewed both Morrison and Lea - and hired Morrison. I'm inclined to believe Shafer.
Just watched the presser. It sure sounds like Morrison had to leave for personal reasons, and that is all I need to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom