From What I Saw Of Goodine | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

From What I Saw Of Goodine

I don't think he was a savior, I think there was more of a balance to be had. Also, he is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Buddy on D. I'm confident you're better than Buddy on D. And Girard.
OK, but do you bang on Hughes -- a guy who at times looks like a stud defensively and then for long stretches doesn't do much of anything, including rebound, defensively? Are buddy and Girard responsible for Sidibe's struggles and consistent foul trouble or Edwards not being ready to shoulder a big load as a backup? Or Marek having to play the 5? Guerrier was solid for a freshman but not a defensive standout. I mean, Buddy wasn't a great defender but subbing in Goodine for 10 mins instead of 7, doesn't change much, IMO.

how many times can folks use this straw man in these threads?

very few of us are saying Goodine should have played more mins than Buddy.
So your saying Buddy is the better player.
I don't think he was a savior, I think there was more of a balance to be had. Also, he is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Buddy on D. I'm confident you're better than Buddy on D. And Girard.
according to synergy Buddy was bad and Goodine was just as bad defensively

Sample size plays a role. 8 minutes per game doesn't show you squat.

So you go on faith that he simply would have been a lot better because ... this argument is impossible to win b/c if you're arguing Goodine would have been a huge asset you're doing it based on (I guess) what you saw on film from high school? Or your evaluation of his shot mechanics? Or the idea that buddy and/or girard were the only problems with our defense?

I really liked Goodine as a prospect and am sad to see him go. The hypothetical 'we would have won more games and he would have stayed if he played x minutes a game' theory is absurd. The kid had a lot of work to do offensively and JB gave the bulk of the minutes to the kid who shot 38% from tree and put up 15/game against ACC comp. The defense is an issue with Buddy but we weren't winning with defense this season. Sidibe was going to struggle, Edwards was going to struggle, Elijah is only intermitently a good defender, and Joe isn't a great defender. Goodine certainly helps us on defense but we had to outscore teams in this particular season.

All I can say is, our record/winning percentage goes way up the less minutes Buddy plays. :)

ACC record when Buddy doesn't play 20+ minutes: 8-4
ACC record when Buddy does: 14-15

So your saying Buddy is the better player.

according to synergy Buddy was bad and Goodine was just as bad defensively
I actually think Goodine was better defensively purely from the eye test (I understand this is absolutely anecdotal). I'm not even sure how you truly grade defense when it's team defense that leads to stops consistently. But, even so, I have no idea what people saw that leads them to believe definitively that Goodine would have improved so much that he would have been a solid contributor offensively and a huge upgrade to our overall team defense.

All I can say is, our record/winning percentage goes way up the less minutes Buddy plays. :)

lol -- that happened once this year. I'm not sure what that is. I'm with everyone -- a good third option who brings something different to the table would help the team as well as Joe and Buddy. The key is it has to be a good third option. Goodine could very well have represented that next season. Maybe it's kadary. Any way you slice it, that would be a really good thing for this program. That's a different argument than blindly saying we just should have shoe-horned Goodine into that role this year.

Goodine was certainly better on top of the zone, watching about two seconds and comparing him vs Buddy would tell you that. But the guy shot 30% from the field and 13% from 3 with a PER of 6.8. You're not gonna play anywhere with those kinds of numbers

fewer

Me too, but JB never gave me a fair shake.

Don’t get me wrong, I wanted Goodine to stay. I think he could have been given 5-7 more MPG when we needed some stops, and the shots weren’t falling anyway. He played well later in the year, especially when Buddy was hurt, and the pressure was off. That said, I want him to want to stay, and compete for minutes. They would have been there. He takes HW’s minutes off the bat. He’s looking at probably 15 MPG, with more to come if he shows he deserves it. That wasn’t good enough for him, so next man up.

I’m confident in Kadary to be that man. He can provide offense from day 1, that BG just couldn’t. Just have to get him to play some D, but he’s got the strength, and quickness for it.

Me too, but JB never gave me a fair shake.

Don’t get me wrong, I wanted Goodine to stay. I think he could have been given 5-7 more MPG when we needed some stops . . .

I’m confident in Kadary to be that man. He can provide offense from day 1, that BG just couldn’t. Just have to get him to play some D, but he’s got the strength, and quickness for it.
Kadary Richmond is taller than Goodine — potentially could swing to small forward at times. We might look back and be glad Richmond could take Goodine’s minutes right off the bat to enhance his development. After all, freshmen recruits need a chance to play . . .

oh it would not have been pretty?

we were 18-14. 1 win over top 75 rpi.

it wasn’t pretty. This season was to build the program.
yeah but we got that Colgate win. And we have that Cornell win going for us too. Possible NYS co-champions this year!!!...lol

Buddy Boeheim should not be getting 36 minutes per game. Period. End stop. 37 mpg in conference. That's insanity.

We went 17-14 with him doing so. If Goodine plays 10 mpg, does that make our record drastically worse? Could it have been drastically worse? Doubtful.
Buddy wouldn't get 37 minutes a game at any other power 5 team. He wouldn't start at most of them. He is a good player who is one dimensional. He is on almost any team power 5 tournament team coming off the bench and playing 10-20 minutes IF hes shooting well. Syracuse can mask his defensive deficiencies in the zone. If he had to play man he would be torched. As to Goodine he deserved to play more. How much who knows. My bigger issue is that we needed to play Hughes more at the 2 position. This would have allowed Guerrier more run. Guerrier Marek Sid with Joe and Hughes was a combo that would have been considerably better on D and as good on O if Buddy was having an off night.
For the record im a Buddy fan. Love his attitude and work ethic. His shot is text book perfect. He deserves to start for SU. I just see more of a 25- 30 minute player.

lol -- that happened once this year. I'm not sure what that is. I'm with everyone -- a good third option who brings something different to the table would help the team as well as Joe and Buddy. The key is it has to be a good third option. Goodine could very well have represented that next season. Maybe it's kadary. Any way you slice it, that would be a really good thing for this program. That's a different argument than blindly saying we just should have shoe-horned Goodine into that role this year.

I don't really have a point - people are throwing out random numbers so I want to now as well!

So, what you're saying is, we were undefeated when it happened this year?

I don't really have a point - people are throwing out random numbers so I want to now as well!

So, what you're saying is, we were undefeated when it happened this year?
I can’t argue that point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom