"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12"

I've read this 3 times and still don't understand it.
Are they saying that ftball & bball are the only Tier 3 that are off limits, but any & every other sport is eligible?
And if thats true, how does that change FSU's position- their ftball is the most profitable right? So, it changes nothing.
What am I missing here?

-----------------------

Read the original cited article: FSU Bd of Trustees chair claims:

"It's mind-boggling and shocking," said Haggard. "How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball?"
Haggard is referring to the fact that the ACC surrendered all third tier television rights for football to ESPN/ABC but kept them for men's basketball. That arrangement will likely result in substantial revenue for schools with a strong basketball following like North Carolina and Duke.On the other hand, it will do very little for schools with a more traditional football following like FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami.
"It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools," noted Haggard. "

It now appears Haggard, Chair of FSU Bd of Trustees, is mistaken on this matter, according to ACC assoc commissioner Michael Kelly.
Jim Lamar@Jim_Lamar
"Just to clarify: ACC assoc commissioner Michael Kelly said no - zero - men's bk games or fb games can be sold by individ schools"

I've read this 3 times and still don't understand it.
Are they saying that ftball & bball are the only Tier 3 that are off limits, but any & every other sport is eligible?
And if thats true, how does that change FSU's position- their ftball is the most profitable right? So, it changes nothing.
What am I missing here?

*OK- after further review:
The FSU guy ASSUMED that bball kept its rights, but ftball didn't. According to this statement, the ACC is saying that's wrong.
So now the only FSU complaint would be the low $ amount, as opposed to the Tier 3 beef.
Got it.

I think you're misunderstanding FSU's gripe. They never said they were able to retain tier-3 rights individually. What they were upset about is that tier-3 rights are negotiated to the conference separately, and that their willingness to include them in the package for football but exclude them for basketball shows favoritism to the Carolina schools as well as losing out on additional revenue for everyone because they sold away the tier-3 rights (as what could have been a separate package).

I think you're misunderstanding FSU's gripe. They never said they were able to retain tier-3 rights individually. What they were upset about is that tier-3 rights are negotiated to the conference separately, and that their willingness to include them in the package for football but exclude them for basketball shows favoritism to the Carolina schools as well as losing out on additional revenue for everyone because they sold away the tier-3 rights (as what could have been a separate package).
...which was proven to be baseless by Commissioner Kelly's statement earlier this evening.

Edit: Associate Commissioner Kelly

So basically Haggard was talking outta his azz since BOTH ftball & bball were sold. He mouthed off and gave misinformation, probably on purpose. Anyway, if FSU wants out better to let them go. The last thing we need to move into is more dissension.

"Florida State University regrets that misinformation about the provisions of the ACC contract has unnecessarily renewed the controversy and speculation about University's athletic conference alignment. Florida State respects the views of the Chair of its Board of Trustees that, of course, any university would examine options that would impact university academics, athletics or finances. At the same time, Florida State is not seeking an alternative to the ACC nor are we considering alternatives. Our current commitments remain strong."

statement by FSU President Barron

by staff at floridastate.247sports.com

also at Jim Lamar@Jim_Lamar
More Barron: 'FSU is not seeking an alternative to the ACC nor are we considering alt. Our current commitments remain strong'
http://twitter.com/#!/Jim_Lamar

--------------------

"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12" (link not working) (Go to Warchant homepage: football)

At Florida State ********** Warchant based on exclusive interview.

"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."

"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."

"Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

"Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC."

Kind of hilarious when you think about it. FSU cannot win in a weak ACC yet thinks that moving to the Big 12 and playing Texas and Oklahoma is the answer. Unless they use that extra cash to pay for players their odds of winning a NT are much smaller in the Big12.

I guess it wasn't enough for SU to blow up the Big East, they had to go and take the ACC out, too. ;)

Nobody affiliated with the Big East has ever put the conference on blast in public like this. And Lord knows they've had chances.

"Florida State University regrets that misinformation about the provisions of the ACC contract has unnecessarily renewed the controversy and speculation about University's athletic conference alignment.
And that everyone now knows some on your BOT want to switch conferences, and probably have for a while. Outbursts like that don't spring from nowhere in an instant.