FSU coming to the party? | Syracusefan.com

FSU coming to the party?

Believe it when I see it, this pops up every few years and then its status quo again for a few years.
yeah, fla st is not in a bad position for title 9, but their athletic department looks like an sec school. mens- baseball, basketball, football, track, swimming and a couple randos of a few people golf and tennis. they don't even have mens soccer (they do have womens) in a full-blown conference with top teams.
and darby seems unaware he and his players would be the 1st ones on the chopping block. quoting the club coach with no other source or evidence doesn't really seem like they're moving the rock down the road.

The only thing that gives it a snowball's chance is the fact that they don't already have women's lacrosse, so they could satisfy title IX by adding women's lax too. It's intriguing.

Let's say it did happen. Would FSU immediately be ACC lacrosse members?

Not much of a curve going from club level to the big show! Might need to have a transfer portal style expansion draft...well you could argue it already happened in the league with the current season:cool:

I would think FSU would be an attractive job and it might not take them super long to get to the highest level. Maybe they could hire Dave Petromala or maybe some other big name like Andy Shay...he could be the modern day Bill Tierney maverick Denver "Pioneer" who brought the west coast to prominence coach. Shay can't be thrilled at the way the Ivy League wrecked the past few years for him.

Again, this all feels like barroom speculation talk? Wait, I am on an internet forum:)

Not much of a curve going from club level to the big show! Might need to have a transfer portal style expansion draft...well you could argue it already happened in the league with the current season:cool:

I would think FSU would be an attractive job and it might not take them super long to get to the highest level. Maybe they could hire Dave Petromala or maybe some other big name like Andy Shay...he could be the modern day Bill Tierney maverick Denver "Pioneer" who brought the west coast to prominence coach. Shay can't be thrilled at the way the Ivy League wrecked the past few years for him.

Again, this all feels like barroom speculation talk? Wait, I am on an internet forum:)

Michigan instantly became a B1G member.

There are an enormous amount of Florida schools playing D2 lacrosse and from what I understand 2 more in Flagler and Webber will be upgrading from NAIA status.

Florida State makes sense and would be awesome.

Last edited:

Disagree on how long it would take to get them up to speed, Michigan fans and supporters were saying the same thing and there going on nearly a decade now with little success to show for it. I find it highly unlikely a coach like Shay or anyone like that would take the job, just to big of a build up. I could see Petro taking but i am not sure he wants to go at minimum 5 years before even being remotely competitive.

Disagree on how long it would take to get them up to speed, Michigan fans and supporters were saying the same thing and there going on nearly a decade now with little success to show for it. I find it highly unlikely a coach like Shay or anyone like that would take the job, just to big of a build up. I could see Petro taking but i am not sure he wants to go at minimum 5 years before even being remotely competitive.

well then again FSU > than Michigan and they’re is a lot of good instate FL talent as well as growing GA high school lax. Now I don’t think they’d be challenging for the ACC anytime soon but I’d wager they’d move ahead of Michigan rather quickly.

Just like football I think it’d be an easy sell for them if they started recruiting the NE talent including MD. Utah ascended quickly and of course Denver once they got the coach.

well then again FSU > than Michigan and they’re is a lot of good instate FL talent as well as growing GA high school lax. Now I don’t think they’d be challenging for the ACC anytime soon but I’d wager they’d move ahead of Michigan rather quickly.

Just like football I think it’d be an easy sell for them if they started recruiting the NE talent including MD. Utah ascended quickly and of course Denver once they got the coach.

I don't disagree that they would probably get up to speed faster then Michigan but its still a much higher climb then you think. Michigan was a top ranked club that has been recruiting well for multiple years and they have still struggled to be consistently competitive. Starting off in the ACC would be a big boost to recruiting but it would take them years to build up the sort of across the board depth you need to compete at the top level of D1. Denver got a bit lucky with getting Tierney but even he has had trouble getting top NE prospects and really hit Canada and Cali hard to substitute. It's one thing to recruit against Jax, Mercer, Bellermine and others for Downstate talent and a whole other to try and go into Maryland, the Island and Central NY against Cuse Duke, MD, VA, UNC, the Ivy's etc.

I don't disagree that they would probably get up to speed faster then Michigan but its still a much higher climb then you think. Michigan was a top ranked club that has been recruiting well for multiple years and they have still struggled to be consistently competitive. Starting off in the ACC would be a big boost to recruiting but it would take them years to build up the sort of across the board depth you need to compete at the top level of D1. Denver got a bit lucky with getting Tierney but even he has had trouble getting top NE prospects and really hit Canada and Cali hard to substitute. It's one thing to recruit against Jax, Mercer, Bellermine and others for Downstate talent and a whole other to try and go into Maryland, the Island and Central NY against Cuse Duke, MD, VA, UNC, the Ivy's etc.
I suppose when you look at the football program and the decline it makes you wonder about the athletic financial commitment made to getting the best athletes. A new program that would need to get on airplanes for the majority of their players to compete in a league like the ACC. You could be right Jeremy...it is much harder than it appears.

Denver joined D1 in 1999 and had been D2 before that, since 1991.

One edge Florida State would have, is that Tallahassee would be an attractive place for northern schools to visit in February and early March.

I actually tend to see more top-level D1 recruits coming from Georgia than Florida right now.

Last edited:
There was always a story that FSU had a sugar daddy who was going to put up the cash to pay for both teams, so I'm not going to go all-in on "This time it's for real." Of course it would be great if it happens.

The entire SEC have women's soccer for Title IX purposes because of its large roster. Georgia Tech is the only ACC schools that doesn't have a women's team. Bama even has rowing because of its even larger roster and the 20 schollies allowed for rowing is the largest number for any women's sport.

But say FSU hires a Long Island guy or a MD guy, or someone like Scott Marr or Mike Pressler. The school's location will sell itself. Other than kids not wanting to stray too far from home, if you dangle a scholarship carrot in front of a kid from Rocky Point to play at FSU and in the ACC it's an easy sell. I can't dismiss what an attractive place FSU would be to NE recruits. I don't think 'breaking in' would be that hard. Add out-of-state tuition at 19K and you can make those scholarships go really far (and with C gpa students.)

But say FSU hires a Long Island guy or a MD guy, or someone like Scott Marr or Mike Pressler. The school's location will sell itself. Other than kids not wanting to stray too far from home, if you dangle a scholarship carrot in front of a kid from Rocky Point to play at FSU and in the ACC it's an easy sell. I can't dismiss what an attractive place FSU would be to NE recruits. I don't think 'breaking in' would be that hard. Add out-of-state tuition at 19K and you can make those scholarships go really far (and with C gpa students.)

I agree with this. I mean, Michigan is competitive. FSU will be competitive. They won't be ripping off championships anytime soon because they are in a conference with three blue bloods and two "new money" schools. But they will be able to play with the SoCon/NEC type schools within a couple of recruiting classes. And it won't be with club kids. You don't think a kid like Sean Donnelly would have given them a serious look? Also, the tuition factor is huge. Jeez, in-state you give a kid a quarter scholly and his the tab is like $14k all in.

There are an enormous amount of Florida schools playing D2 lacrosse and from what I understand 2 more in Flagler and Webber will be upgrading from NAIA status.

Florida State makes sense and would be awesome.
FSU would be smart to do this... actually Miami should too. So many northeastern transplants down in these middle/upper middle class neighborhoods. They are playing lacrosse now in many high schools and club teams are growing...I think the tipping point is here in southern suburbs of means.

Denver joined D1 in 1999 and had been D2 before that, since 1991.

One edge Florida State would have, is that Tallahassee would be an attractive place for northern schools to visit in February and early March.

I actually tend to see more top-level D1 recruits coming from Georgia than Florida right now.
FSU is only 4-5 hrs from ATL..so doable for parents for Saturday games.

I'm actually not sure why Miami hasn't looked into it...but baseball is big there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom