FSU vs The ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I really don’t get FSU’s POV here. The next 10 years they can either make ACC money competing against ACC teams or they can be in the SEC/B18 making the equivalent of ACC money competing against teams with a lot more money or they can be in the B12 making half ACC money competing against teams with more money. Seems clear which is the best choice.
The governor of Florida has a searing hatred of Disney. FSU's fanbase is apoplectic. I would guess its a combo of high ranking officials trying to hurt Disney/ESPN and the school trying to placate the fans by showing them they're DOING SOMETHING.

To bring the ACC to the negotiating table.

The ACC:

1703182019462.gif

The governor of Florida has a searing hatred of Disney. FSU's fanbase is apoplectic. I would guess its a combo of high ranking officials trying to hurt Disney/ESPN and the school trying to placate the fans by showing them they're DOING SOMETHING.

If that's the case UF would leave as well since the SEC just moved to ESPN.

That "loophole" will be resolved next season.

True but shows that the ACC has very little pull even with 12 teams. There will be a plethora of Big 10 and SEC schools in that pool.

I remember everyone being happy they were going to leave and/or not believing it.

So confused….

No one's "happy" they're leaving, but they seem bound and determined to do so. Most people's attitude now is just " go for it ".
You can't beg someone to stay, who's determined to leave.
If FSU wants out, then in the immortal words of Henry Hill in "Goodfellas"-

ACC says:

" Fkuc you. Pay me ".
martin scorsese goodfellas GIF

Last edited:
“…despite Florida State football's storied past and present strength, FSU wouldn’t be a serious candidate for expansion. Same for Clemson even with its recent national titles.

The SEC is believed to be a less likely option…The league is set to begin as a 16-team operation next season existing in contiguous states. It is already powerful. It is already rich. It has now taken over large swaths of Texas.

The SEC's goal is to play a level of football that appeals to a national audience. It also already has schools in Florida (the University of Florida) and South Carolina (the University of South Carolina).

‘My sense is there is more opposition than interest,’ one SEC source said.”

Florida State leaving the ACC would have massive ramifications for the future of college athletics

FSU's only option is Fox/B1G and I don't think either entity wants to be involved with this type of litigation. I hope the ACC takes a hard stance but is somehow able to mend the relationship.

It’s a stupid theory. The state in this case is acting in a commercial capacity.

I would hope that in the conference agreement that state schools were made to waive any claims of sovereign immunity and that venue for all disputes would be in federal court.
Yup -- I'd be shocked if that wasn't included based on how it was developed and modeled.

Plus, the ACC isn't fighting this in the media because they know FSU is full of crap. It's another threat -- except they're playing chicken with far more sophisticated counterparties. I expect JW is heavily involved in this topic at the ACC level along with some other smart ADs. They all agreed on the way to exit the conference -- nothing is stopping FSU from following the contract they helped to develop. Arguing that they now shouldn't have to is absurd.

“…despite Florida State football's storied past and present strength, FSU wouldn’t be a serious candidate for expansion. Same for Clemson even with its recent national titles.

The SEC is believed to be a less likely option…The league is set to begin as a 16-team operation next season existing in contiguous states. It is already powerful. It is already rich. It has now taken over large swaths of Texas.

The SEC's goal is to play a level of football that appeals to a national audience. It also already has schools in Florida (the University of Florida) and South Carolina (the University of South Carolina).

‘My sense is there is more opposition than interest,’ one SEC source said.”

Florida State leaving the ACC would have massive ramifications for the future of college athletics

FSU's only option is Fox/B1G and I don't think either entity wants to be involved with this type of litigation. I hope the ACC takes a hard stance but is somehow able to mend the relationship.

Why mend it? And isn't it well past the point of return? I hope that FSU pays an arm and a leg forever putting their program into debt and then goes to the B12 where they will make less money than here in the ACC. It would kill their program and it is what they deserve. The ACC can swim in the FSU money and then in 5 years raid the B12 to make things even worse for FSU.

Does FSU want to win a NC or make a few more million that they can spend? You go from being the top 1-3 teams in the ACC to being the 6-8th best in a flash and all those boosters will jump ship. Florida is flush with money from the SEC and cant get to .500

Does FSU want to win a NC or make a few more million that they can spend? You go from being the top 1-3 teams in the ACC to being the 6-8th best in a flash and all those boosters will jump ship. Florida is flush with money from the SEC and cant get to .500
If they took all that money they are about to spend on attorneys and invested into the program they wouldn’t be bitching. Bottom line is FSU rode on the coattails of Bowden and didn’t invest into the program and are now playing catch up.

Why mend it? And isn't it well past the point of return? I hope that FSU pays an arm and a leg forever putting their program into debt and then goes to the B12 where they will make less money than here in the ACC. It would kill their program and it is what they deserve. The ACC can swim in the FSU money and then in 5 years raid the B12 to make things even worse for FSU.
Why wouldn't the ACC want a partner in Florida State that isn't spending a good part of the next 12 years trying to undermine the conference?

1- They were looking for a reason, and now they got there reason because they went undefeated and missed the playoffs. Even though it was a justified reason they believe they were wronged.

2- McMurphy mentions the Big 12. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. FSU does all this to leave the ACC to only go to the Big 12 which makes less money than the ACC? Not to mention it’s another half ESPN product.

3- I can’t see the SEC taking FSU. They already have a much bigger brand in Florida. Florida will fight it and they are a big factor in sEC. It’s not like A&M who just joined the conference. Florida has allies.

4- It’s Big 10 or independence. And the money is gone. Everyone just reipped their contracts. There isn’t money out there to buy product right now. And FSU is NOT ND. They aren’t coming close to the money ND signed for. Which is even less than what the ACC gets but they want their independence.

So again, it’s Big 10 or bust for FSU. Which, means this isn’t just FSU vs ACC. This is ACC and ESPN against FSU. ESPN will not allow FSU and product to leave and they will fight it because it’s probably Fox that have gone through back doors.

I think that this actually is a good thing. If the GOR doesn’t hold, I’d recommend the ACC immediately disband and contact the P2 and all join that conference. It would allow them to negotiate a new TV deal, because the current ACC TV deal is prohibitive to the ACC ever earning close to the SEC and too long. Moving under the P2 flag would retain the autobid and effectively round out a west coast arm for the likes of Stanford, et al.

Leverage is a beautiful thing. If the GOR is invalidated, a savvy business person could easily turn that ruling into a renegotiated deal with ESPN. FlaSt may be doing everyone a favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom