FSU vs The ACC | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I think we're underestimating FSU from the standpoint of NO ONE wants them. I have a hard time they'd set in motion this lawsuit against the other ACC schools (and yes they are suing us now) and not have some tacit plan in place to place them when the dust settles.

The concern I have is FSU is taking one for the team and is just a domino to really create an ACC doomsday.

The other part of is they're completely stupid and doing this without any regard for planning.

At the end of the day we'll be better off because we're inching towards being with schools that are like us. FSU leaving is just another school that has zero cultural connection to Syracuse University
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in the upper echelons of education, especially in Florida.

I don't think there's a grand plan or conspiracy here. FSU has always been entitled and they're just continuing to act like it here too.

We will not be left out if the ACC ends up dissolving. Having said that, it’s in our best interest for the ACC to keep going at this time.

I'm curious as to why you're so confident. Not in an argumentative, I just need to be held and comforted that we wont be the East Coast Cougs and Beavs.

Much like the church and the boy scouts did when they faced massive lawsuits and fines. Can FSU exit the ACC, and then just file bankruptcy, get fees and penalties reduced/dismissed, and then go join a new conference?
LOL no. They're not being sued, they're doing the suing. Their assets are greater than liabilities and they have positive cash flow. FSU just wants to make more money.

I'm curious as to why you're so confident. Not in an argumentative, I just need to be held and comforted that we wont be the East Coast Cougs and Beavs.
Well supposedly we have alumni executives in the tv business. If things really hit the fan. I think we’re a viable option for either the Big Ten or SEC.

We are the only viable option in the state of NY. Is the entire state getting left behind? Neither WSU or OSU have that.

We have a large BBall fanbase. Neither WSU or OSU have that.

At the very least we will be in the B12. Wake however is likely left in the ACC like WSU and OSU in the PAC.

I think that is fair criticism...especially given the east coast media markets in which the ACC has operative schools.
I agree. Swofford was a double-edged sword. He got the ACCN and GOR, but locked the league into an outdated long-term deal that no longer reflects the market.
ESPN has been intransigent about renegotiating, but that might've been the best move for everyone.
FSU will more than likely lose their suit, but the damage is done. If they're the lone wolf here, it'll be a nothingburger. But if others join in...

A third option that would honestly make most of us the happiest. Is a merger with the Big East. Does Turner sports want to get involved? Big East may want to get back in the football game it if it means UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, and Duke being involved in the basketball conference. UCONN fans would even be happy lol.

I agree. Swofford was a double-edged sword. He got the ACCN and GOR, but locked the league into an outdated long-term deal that no longer reflects the market.
ESPN has been intransigent about renegotiating, but that might've been the best move for everyone.
FSU will more than likely lose their suit, but the damage is done. If they're the lone wolf here, it'll be a nothingburger. But if others join in...

That locked in deal prevented the entire house of cards coming down. If not for this deal we're probably in the AAC right now or some other outpost. It may be ultimately where we should be but we've "clipped coupons" for the years we've been able to rub shoulders with Clemson and FSU and their millions.

The alternative is UConn football, financially speaking

I never really understood how the private equity angle would play out but wonder if that is part of the thinking.

Context. At the time, it was a good deal. Then bigger, better deals happened. And round and round we go...
They were late to the table is what happened isn't it?

We are the only viable option in the state of NY. Is the entire state getting left behind? Neither WSU or OSU have that.

At the very least we will be in the B12. Wake however is likely left in the ACC like WSU and OSU in the PAC.
I'm not sure basketball matters. The marquee basketball games this season have had a fraction of the ratings of even the most pointless bowl games.

Please please please….never bring up basketball when discussing conf realignment.

As you were.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in the upper echelons of education, especially in Florida.

I don't think there's a grand plan or conspiracy here. FSU has always been entitled and they're just continuing to act like it here too.
Back in 2003 we had the “psycho ditched ex-girlfriend” lawsuit. We need a name for this.

I think leaving the ACC is a short-sighted mistake for FSU. If Jordan Travis doesn't get injured, they're 100% in. It didn't have anything to do with their conference. Their path to a playoff bid becomes much more challenging when they have to navigate an SEC schedule.
That’s logical if the playoff rationale wasn’t an excuse.

They want to leave for money. That’s it.

So if they do leave, then that’s the end, it’s 2 conferences that matter and a reconstructed Conference USA for the rest.

The remaining ACC schools will always be more valuable than the leftover, fly-over ones in the big12.

If there is 2 lesser condos to remain…While it’s certainly not apples for apples, wv, Cincy and the directional Florida’s all would likely rather be ACC than big12.
Disagree. The Big 12 got an ACC equivalent media deal after losing their 2 biggest brands, Texas and Oklahoma. How much would an ACC media deal be worth without say FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Miami? The Big 12 was perceived to be more stable because none of their school seem to have an opportunity to leave, but the ACC has many valuable brands that could have opportunities to leave. If the Big 12 takes, say, Louisville and Pitt, why would West Virginia want to leave the Big 12?

Disagree. The Big 12 got an ACC equivalent media deal after losing their 2 biggest brands, Texas and Oklahoma. How much would an ACC media deal be worth without say FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Miami? The Big 12 was perceived to be more stable because none of their school seem to have an opportunity to leave, but the ACC has many valuable brands that could have opportunities to leave. If the Big 12 takes, say, Louisville and Pitt, why would West Virginia want to leave the Big 12?
You basically just said the big12 has useless teams because nobody wants them. If the creme de la creme leave the ACC, the ACC will replace that with the best of the big12.

Nobody give a flying faluck about iowa st, okie st, TT, SMU, Baylor etc.

That locked in deal prevented the entire house of cards coming down. If not for this deal we're probably in the AAC right now or some other outpost. It may be ultimately where we should be but we've "clipped coupons" for the years we've been able to rub shoulders with Clemson and FSU and their millions.

The alternative is UConn football, financially speaking
Like I said, "double-edged sword". Frankly, I think Swofford was underestimated. He DID save the ACC with network, and that might be the difference between us or Big12 being the 3rd conference standing.
Fsu's greed and hubris is the real issue here. There were so many better ways to play this, but that would require chess not checkers. And FSU, nor for that matter the state of Florida, has never been know for their wits.

Last edited:
Florida St board of trustees. One member notes that she was appointed as a trustee by the governor, DeSantis. Do governors in public universities appoint trustees? Just never knew that.

The 12 team playoff is the perfect scenario for all 4 major conferences to be content and happy that there’s the correct amount of seats at the table for worthy teams. Big ten and sec get 3 teams maybe 4 and us and big 12 get 2. It’s perfect everyone is happy.
Why is 3 or 4 out of 12 the perfect number to keep the B1G and SEC happy when they can each have 5 of 12, or 6 of 12? Why wouldn't they want more more more?

(They do and they will eventually get it.)

How many teams that have jumped conferences in the past 10 years or so of this conference mayhem won or been in a contention to win a football playoff National Championship? Just wondering?

You basically just said the big12 has useless teams because nobody wants them. If the creme de la creme leave the ACC, the ACC will replace that with the best of the big12.

Nobody give a flying faluck about iowa st, okie st, TT, SMU, Baylor etc.
Look at TV ratings/attendance and compare the current Big 12 schools vs the potential left behind ACC schools. I think the Big 12 looks better.

Here are the TV ratings of the Big 12 Championship vs the ACC Championship in 2022 and 2021 in which the Big 12 did not have either Texas or Oklahoma and ACC didn't have FSU:

2022:
Big 12: Kansas St./TCU 9.4 million viewers
ACC: Clemson/North Carolina 3.5 million viewers

2021:
Big 12: Baylor/Oklahoma St. 8.0 million viewers
ACC: Pitt/Wake Forest 2.7 million viewers

And, if FSU figures a way out, there will be other top ACC schools leaving. And don't think ESPN would not be an enabler like they were when the ACC picked apart the Big East. All ESPN has to do is say they won't exercise their ACC option after 2027 and it's game over.

As far as the Big 10 and SEC, they aren't going to come right out and say they want FSU or any other ACC school for legal reasons. If FSU figures a way out of the ACC, then the other conferences will express interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom