FWIW: Re Melo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FWIW: Re Melo

two-and-done basketball players aren't your typical student taking graduate courses. Guys like Melo are here for 1-2 years to take the easiest courses possible to pass. I played a sport in college and I was taking graduate level math courses. I had football, baseball, lacrosse, soccer players in my 200, 300, 400 level courses, sure. Those guys were there for school, guys like Melo aren't

You may be right. I'm not sure about the NCAA requirements to prove academic progress, but I think there has to be some program of study being followed, not just blind credits.

I just don't see how anyone can say he didn't let the team down.

If JB wants to take this stand, then he should also say publicly that the blame lies with him for recruiting an immature, irresponsible kid.

This is all on Fab.

You may be right. I'm not sure about the NCAA requirements to prove academic progress, but I think there has to be some program of study being followed, not just blind credits.
You can definitely be "undecided" until sophomore year is it? That's what UK players do they take the 101 classes and call it a day

I remember watching an OSU game earlier this yaer when they showed Lenzelle Smith's major as "undecided"; I believe he is either a sophomore of a junior.

well, that is at odds with the statement that syracuse made when they said that he could have played against West virginia but they didn't want to risk it since they hadn't heard back from the NCAA. I have no idea what is true and what isn't. It's over. We can all move on. And to the other folks about whose fault? Who didn't pass. That is whose fault it is.

Now, I've been hearing lots and lots of people say, almost as soon as Ohio State bounced us out, that the issue with Melo was that he violated his probation with the old girlfriend and the turning signal incident. I heard that he was texting her toward the end of the season, that this violated a restraining order, and that was the issue that got him kicked off the team.

This, to me, would be in keeping with Boeheim's statement that none of the player nor himself considered Melo to have let the team down. If he let the team down, you would think that would be failing to do your school work. If he texted his old girlfriend, and she still held a grudge and complained to the police or the university about it, that to me would be a relatively more innocent thing.

Maybe he was trying to make up with her. Maybe he was bragging that he was soon going to be a millionaire NBA player. Maybe I'm completely wrong with all of this, but I have lots of good connections into the University, too (as many on the board do), and that's what a bunch of them were saying and have been saying for the past few days. Take it as you like. Maybe all of these rumors are true, but to me, getting kicked off the team when he did, a violation of a restraining order seems more likely than an academic issue. A positive marijuana test would have made sense at that time, too, but I think that has been dismissed.

The timing of the drug test story right before he was kicked off the team made that seem obvious, but in retrospect, the rumor that seems to fit best to me is the restraining order violation.

Now, I've been hearing lots and lots of people say, almost as soon as Ohio State bounced us out, that the issue with Melo was that he violated his probation with the old girlfriend and the turning signal incident. I heard that he was texting her toward the end of the season, that this violated a restraining order, and that was the issue that got him kicked off the team.

This, to me, would be in keeping with Boeheim's statement that none of the player nor himself considered Melo to have let the team down. If he let the team down, you would think that would be failing to do your school work. If he texted his old girlfriend, and she still held a grudge and complained to the police or the university about it, that to me would be a relatively more innocent thing.

Maybe he was trying to make up with her. Maybe he was bragging that he was soon going to be a millionaire NBA player. Maybe I'm completely wrong with all of this, but I have lots of good connections into the University, too (as many on the board do), and that's what a bunch of them were saying and have been saying for the past few days. Take it as you like. Maybe all of these rumors are true, but to me, getting kicked off the team when he did, a violation of a restraining order seems more likely than an academic issue. A positive marijuana test would have made sense at that time, too, but I think that has been dismissed.

The timing of the drug test story right before he was kicked off the team made that seem obvious, but in retrospect, the rumor that seems to fit best to me is the restraining order violation.
I have no sources inside SU; but the original post would make some sense timing wise. His academics were hurting, so he was suspended; they extended the deadline for him to get his work in, so he played; the deadline passed, and his work still wasn't complete, so ineligible again.

You can definitely be "undecided" until sophomore year is it? That's what UK players do they take the 101 classes and call it a day

You can be "undecided", but I'm not aware of any school at SU that doesn't have a program of "core" courses that are required, regardless of major. That way, you are still well on your way to a degree when you decide on a major.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but that's how it was "back in the day".

You can be "undecided", but I'm not aware of any school at SU that doesn't have a program of "core" courses that are required, regardless of major. That way, you are still well on your way to a degree when you decide on a major.

Exactly, you usually don't need to declare a major until after your sophomore year, b/c the 1st two years are geared toward requirements.

gotcha. I didn't go to SU so I don't know the deal there, but the school I went to (and many others I'm sure) you can be undecided freshman year and take whatever classes you want

fwiw I went to a school with no "core" requirements... I wonder what UK's rules are

Not true.

dude there's about 8 rumors floating around from academics, violation restraining order, being deported, having bad diarrhea... the list goes on

dude there's about 8 rumors floating around from academics, violation restraining order, being deported, having bad diarrhea... the list goes on

I said I hope we MAKE a run in the NCAA tournament, not GET the runs.

I hope the poor dropout Invests some of his millions in the U.S. (Besides tax's that is)

I hope the poor dropout Invests some of his millions in the U.S. (Besides tax's that is)

I know of a pretty appropriate use of his money that would also reduce his tax exposure should he make his money in the NBA - a large donation to SU for improvements in the academic support program for the athletic department

I know of a pretty appropriate use of his money that would also reduce his tax exposure should he make his money in the NBA - a large donation to SU for improvements in the academic support program for the athletic department
The Fab Melo center for kids who can't read good and want to do other things well too

1332639775074.jpg

The Fab Melo center for kids who can't read good and want to do other things well too

In fairness, how well would you do in college, if you were sent to another country and only had learned the language a couple years before ?

In fairness, how well would you do in college, if you were sent to another country and only had learned the language a couple years before ?
If I was struggling I certainly wouldn't be at bars 4 times a week

This isn't a matter of a language barrier - it's a matter of a student-athlete not giving a F about the student part.