FWIW: Re Melo | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FWIW: Re Melo

Now, I've been hearing lots and lots of people say, almost as soon as Ohio State bounced us out, that the issue with Melo was that he violated his probation with the old girlfriend and the turning signal incident. I heard that he was texting her toward the end of the season, that this violated a restraining order, and that was the issue that got him kicked off the team.

This, to me, would be in keeping with Boeheim's statement that none of the player nor himself considered Melo to have let the team down. If he let the team down, you would think that would be failing to do your school work. If he texted his old girlfriend, and she still held a grudge and complained to the police or the university about it, that to me would be a relatively more innocent thing.

Maybe he was trying to make up with her. Maybe he was bragging that he was soon going to be a millionaire NBA player. Maybe I'm completely wrong with all of this, but I have lots of good connections into the University, too (as many on the board do), and that's what a bunch of them were saying and have been saying for the past few days. Take it as you like. Maybe all of these rumors are true, but to me, getting kicked off the team when he did, a violation of a restraining order seems more likely than an academic issue. A positive marijuana test would have made sense at that time, too, but I think that has been dismissed.

The timing of the drug test story right before he was kicked off the team made that seem obvious, but in retrospect, the rumor that seems to fit best to me is the restraining order violation.
That's not what it was

I'd probably actually go to class if that were the case

Yeah I don't think anyone is saying he should be getting straight A's. Just show up and do your work.

I believe that many coaches have a policy of no classwork/no play. Bob Knight had it at IU and monitored each player's attendance and work all during the semester, not just at the end. Does SU do that? Better to deal with it as it occurs, not after the fact.

I believe that many coaches have a policy of no classwork/no play. Bob Knight had it at IU and monitored each player's attendance and work all during the semester, not just at the end. Does SU do that? Better to deal with it as it occurs, not after the fact.

In the APR era this is a no brainer.

If Waiters was as behind as everyone seems to think he was he should have been prevented from utilizing the Melo Center or playing until he was on track to leave for the NBA this spring in good academic standing. Same with Melo. If he was ineligible for academic reasons and was granted an extension would it have not been prudent to hold him out of games until all past work was complete and he was on track to finish out the spring semester as well? I support Boeheim crying about his hands being tied when guys leave for a career in the NBA but there are plenty of things you can do before that point to keep guys on point. It is tough to get drafted if you are not being noticed on a daily basis by scouts and having a first class facility to work in.

OK. Your sources are probably better than mine. This is what lots of people are saying, though.

There have been a lot of people saying a lot of things. Jut look at the board over the past few weeks. Deported, drugs, fencing, restraining order, whole calls retaking a test, etc. It's been all over the board. For all I know, all those things are true to some extent. But not the reason he was suspended just before the NCAA games.

There have been a lot of people saying a lot of things. Jut look at the board over the past few weeks. Deported, drugs, fencing, restraining order, whole calls retaking a test, etc. It's been all over the board. For all I know, all those things are true to some extent. But not the reason he was suspended just before the NCAA games.
You forgot the diarrhea rumor

Was it Melo's prof that told you, or just some random prof who was repeating a rumor?

One of my friends brought up a good point as immoral as it may sound was Fab really incapable of finding a girl or someone who would do his work for him? I know that sounds bad but come on.

If I was struggling I certainly wouldn't be at bars 4 times a week

Yeah, but just because he was struggling doesn't mean he's stupid. That's my point. I think people are taking unfair shots at his intellect, and y0u have to factor in that he's trying to go to college and perform well in his second language.

But of course if he wasn't going to class and not making an effort, then that's on him ultimately. You would hope that the tutors, study halls, people monitoring his attendance, etc., were on the ball, but in the end if it was purely academics and he wasn't even trying, then that's his fault. No disagreement there.

If Melo isn't going to classes and ends up dropping out, doesnt he get deported? Isn't he on a student visa?

Talked to an SU Prof yesterday. Melo just didn't do his work. (1st semester). The first appeal allowed him time to finish. (NCAA approved extension, thus he was reinstated.) He didn't finish the work that was due. Ineligible again.
The second appeal was internal to ask for more time. SU said no. (Unclear if NCAA got involved in the 2nd round.)
Based on track record, he ultimately would have been academically ineligible no matter what. That could have involved vacating wins. SU did the right thing. Boo on Melo.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
Verifying w3hat what presumed so Thanks. It was always Melo not doing enough here at Syracuse. His first year conditioning and ability were the first thing that came to light and then a temper that surprisingly he controlled after the incident with his girl friend's car I'm not sorry to see him go . He screwed his team and the fans with his actions or in this case inactions.:mad:

Yeah, but just because he was struggling doesn't mean he's stupid. That's my point. I think people are taking unfair shots at his intellect, and y0u have to factor in that he's trying to go to college and perform well in his second language.

But of course if he wasn't going to class and not making an effort, then that's on him ultimately. You would hope that the tutors, study halls, people monitoring his attendance, etc., were on the ball, but in the end if it was purely academics and he wasn't even trying, then that's his fault. No disagreement there.

Agreed it may not be fair to call him stupid. Lazy, immature, and selfish? All sound right to me.

They'd give him every possibly chance to succeed. And he went to HS in Florida, he didn't come straight from Brazil. Needing a 1.7 GPA while taking 4 100 level classes shouldn't be hard with all the tutors and study halls they have. I don't think Fab is stupid, I think he's lazy.

If Melo isn't going to classes and ends up dropping out, doesnt he get deported? Isn't he on a student visa?
Didn't he already go back to Brazil?

Agreed it may not be fair to call him stupid. Lazy, immature, and selfish? All sound right to me.

I agree, but I'd also suggest that if you're lazy, immature and selfish, then you're also a little stupid. I think it's important to not feel bad for these guys but also not to get all worked up about how they "let folks down." But I would say with Melo that if he was simply too lazy and immature and selfish to take advantage of at least making some solid progress towards a degree that -- even with a bunch of hoops money -- is more than likely going to help him dramatically in the future, then he is, in fact, a little stupid. And I say that as someone who was too stupid to do an internship senior year and do a semester abroad.

Dear Nerlens,

Regarding the situation with Fab Melo at Syracuse. It's a fact that about 30% of all students flunk out of school before graduating, as is the case at this school. However, at this particular school you will never be subjected to the rigors other students face due to the fact that you will be a student/athlete. Each and every professor here graduated near the top of their class and fully understand that in the event they give you a failing grade, they will be facing immediate termination. We have never had a student/athlete flunk out.

Sincerely, J Calimari

Plenty of college students in America are learning in their second language. Heck, look no further than his own buddy Baye Keita.

I had friends in college who had been in America less than a year - from Korea, Ghana, Hong Kong, and Turkey to name a few. It's a matter of effort, which if this latest rumor is true about not going to class, that was 95% of the problem

Completely irrelevant (and don't s--- on me for posting somewhat mean-spirited gossip; I'm sure some on here will get a kick out of it): multiple trustworthy sources have told me that Fab sauntered into Chuck's during the game on Thursday evening; after the bartenders ignored him for awhile, a bouncer came up to him and suggested he leave. Guess the crowd at his regular spot lost patience with him after his year of fun.

Completely irrelevant (and don't s--- on me for posting somewhat mean-spirited gossip; I'm sure some on here will get a kick out of it): multiple trustworthy sources have told me that Fab sauntered into Chuck's during the game on Thursday evening; after the bartenders ignored him for awhile, a bouncer came up to him and suggested he leave. Guess the crowd at his regular spot lost patience with him after his year of fun.

It's a free country, he can do what he wants, but that does not seem like the brightest decision in the world.

Yeah, he was there Thursday. He's not the smartest kid we've ever had, that's for sure...

I was told yesterday that Fab spent a great deal of time at bars at SU. This was told to me by a student who also spends a great deal of time in bars. This student has no problems with grades and Fab did. The student said if Fab had spent as much time in studies as he did in Fagan's and Chuck's SU would probably be in the final four right now. As far as Fab & Dion taking care of class work so that we don't get the UConn treatment in 2014, they said forget about. Fab got out of town last week and Dion is too far behind.
I can confirm this. Almost every time I am at the bar (which is usually Th, Fri, Sat nights, chemE majors can't go out on weekdays like most people) I see Melo. Hell like I said in a previous thread-- he was at the bar on thursday! The same place hundreds of Syracuse fans were watching the team that he selfishly deserted. He just is not a smart kid-- he doesn't get it.

Talked to an SU Prof yesterday. Melo just didn't do his work. (1st semester). The first appeal allowed him time to finish. (NCAA approved extension, thus he was reinstated.) He didn't finish the work that was due. Ineligible again.
The second appeal was internal to ask for more time. SU said no. (Unclear if NCAA got involved in the 2nd round.)
Based on track record, he ultimately would have been academically ineligible no matter what. That could have involved vacating wins. SU did the right thing. Boo on Melo.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
he will be playing pro, but likely not in the NBA. When big bucks are involved and the players calling card is potential, being a head case only adds to the risk. No way he goes first round.