Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

He's only at UConn often because it's a 22 mile drive. He goes there to visit his friend Mamadou Diarra and play pick up. It would be like a kid from Cortland who was good friends with Matt Moyer coming to SU to play pick up during the summer. Jimmer Fredette played AAU with one of my HS friends and would come to our HS in Syracuse to play pickup on occasion.
Oh I know. It's not like he's taking a 4 hour drive every weekend to go there. I hope Hami realizes that playing with Diarra in college might be fun - but playing with Quade in college would probably help his game and NBA stock a "tad" bit more...

NYCorange said:
Hypothetical question, if Hami called tomorrow and said "I want to commit to Syracuse" do you take him. I know it seems like a no brainer, and the fact that we're recruiting him means that Boeheim would, but if you think about it, it's dangerous. It likely takes us out of the running for the rest of the top 2 guard prospects and there's no guarantee that he doesn't just head to the NBA without playing a minute at the Dome.

I think it is a no brainer. And then the sell to the others, and we are pretty much talking Lonnie Walker, we tell Lonnie that Quade, Hami and Lonnie could play and excel on the court together. Imagine them in a press?

Oh I know. It's not like he's taking a 4 hour drive every weekend to go there. I hope Hami realizes that playing with Diarra in college might be fun - but playing with Quade in college would probably help his game and NBA stock a "tad" bit more...
Yeah it's not like he's being pulled to UConn by a Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley type player. It's Mamadou Diarra, a player only UConn fans have ever heard of. UConn beat out Hofstra and Drexel for his services for 4 years.

Yeah it's not like he's being pulled to UConn by a Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley type player. It's Mamadou Diarra, a player only UConn fans have ever heard of. UConn beat out Hofstra and Drexel for his services for 4 years.

UConn also in the sweepstakes for the services of Garfield Dysentery.

NYCorange said:
Hypothetical question, if Hami called tomorrow and said "I want to commit to Syracuse" do you take him. I know it seems like a no brainer, and the fact that we're recruiting him means that Boeheim would, but if you think about it, it's dangerous. It likely takes us out of the running for the rest of the top 2 guard prospects and there's no guarantee that he doesn't just head to the NBA without playing a minute at the Dome.

OMG yes.

Of course but Nope you go for lonnie and tucker...

Listen (im matt berry) hami is a twig who cant shoot hes overrated (im a kentucky fan)

100% yes--we have up to 7 scholarships to fill in the class of 2017. Whether Diallo ends up here or going straight to the NBA, there's no downside to accepting a commitment from him at this juncture.

And Diallo isn't necessarily incompatible with a player like Walker, given how athletic he is.

He visits UCONN a lot because he plays close to them and his best friend in the world plays there. He has developed relationships there, but his final decision will come down to whether he gets intel that he will be a first round draft pick or not.

Please refer to the forum rules and regulations for posting, Section 6 Article 47: Banned Words and Terms;

783: Vacated
784: Villanueva
785: Wheelhouse
786: Whitehead
787: YMCA
this is just an awesome post... even had me doing the alphabet in my head to make sure W came after V.

it does.

Last edited:
Watched a bit of the Arizona - Mich St. game last night and the announcers were all raving (justifiably) at the leaping ability of Kobi Simmons, the UA freshman guard and former SU target. Appears that Diallo is on the same level, head at the rim. For a dunking video, one thing that stood out is how effortlessly he dunks one handed with either hand. He roundhouses a lot with his left, off hand. These guys who can figure out how to finish effectively with their off hand (a la Devendorf, and now John Gillon) are brutal to try and stop. Hope when the dust settles that he suits up in Orange for a year, would make for a nice 3 guard rotation with Quade and Frank!

Watched a bit of the Arizona - Mich St. game last night and the announcers were all raving (justifiably) at the leaping ability of Kobi Simmons, the UA freshman guard and former SU target. Appears that Diallo is on the same level, head at the rim. For a dunking video, one thing that stood out is how effortlessly he dunks one handed with either hand. He roundhouses a lot with his left, off hand. These guys who can figure out how to finish effectively with their off hand (a la Devendorf, and now John Gillon) are brutal to try and stop. Hope when the dust settles that he suits up in Orange for a year, would make for a nice 3 guard rotation with Quade and Frank!
In my mind hes a small forward. But thats probably just me. And i get it, a top recruit like this, if he wants to play 2 guard at the college level because thats where he projects himself as a pro...but his game seems more small foward to me

And i would think he could be a very effective defender either at the top of the zone or on the wing. If he puts his mind to it he could block outside shots ala Hak against ku in 2003 Title game...

Hami is either going to the NBA (70% chance - my guess) or coming to UK or Syracuse. I'd like to think that if the kid decides to delay the NBA, that Syracuse has just as good a chance as UK.

Hami has stated he'd like to play with Quade. Hami is a NY kid. Hami could develop his outside shot for a year, and contend for a National Championship at SU. Syracuse will have a blend of youth and maturity, often needed to make a meaningful run in the tournament. This is, in my opinion, the reason Kentucky struggles going all the way. They're ALWAYS young, and lack leadership.

Have I sold you, Hami?

Hami is either going to the NBA (70% chance - my guess) or coming to UK or Syracuse. I'd like to think that if the kid decides to delay the NBA, that Syracuse has just as good a chance as UK.

Hami has stated he'd like to play with Quade. Hami is a NY kid. Hami could develop his outside shot for a year, and contend for a National Championship at SU. Syracuse will have a blend of youth and maturity, often needed to make a meaningful run in the tournament. This is, in my opinion, the reason Kentucky struggles going all the way. They're ALWAYS young, and lack leadership.

Have I sold you, Hami?

I think Hami would fit in great at Syracuse. Sadly, Kentucky is known as the stepping stone between high school and the NBA for highly ranked players. Though they lack leadership and experience, you can't take away the fact Cal has an incredible success rate of getting guys into the league. For those highly ranked guys, if they don't win a national title they probably don't dwell on it while they're playing in the NBA.

Jeremy L. said:
I think Hami would fit in great at Syracuse. Sadly, Kentucky is known as the stepping stone between high school and the NBA for highly ranked players. Though they lack leadership and experience, you can't take away the fact Cal has an incredible success rate of getting guys into the league. For those highly ranked guys, if they don't win a national title they probably don't dwell on it while they're playing in the NBA.

Kentucky is a great place for guys that just have to wait a year before being eligible for the draft. If a player wants to develop, he might want to choose a school that has a history of developing players at his position. Look at the guards that went from nowhere on draft boards to first round and even lottery at SU. Johnny Flynn, MCW, Waiters, Ennis and Malachi last year. And maybe even Battle this year.

first things first, we lock up Quade and then we focus our attention on Hami. Full court press style. I think A) Hami does in fact spend a yr in college B) Battle does have a great season and is going NBA and C) many "recruiting experts" will be flipping their picks to Cuse once Green is officially Orange. Its Science baby!

If there was no one and done rule, 99.9 percent of those guys would've just jumped right from high school to the NBA, Cal had absolutely nothing to do with it. So, if you truly believe that Cal is the reason those guys are in the 'league' well, then this guy probably convinced you of this as well. ;):rolleyes:

UK has good success getting players to the NBA since they usually get top HS talent. Coaching doesn't have a ton to do with it.

In my opinion Cal doesn't develop his players anywhere near as well as Syracuse (or other schools). His success in sending players to the NBA is a result of getting virtually all 5 star recruits. Much more impressive to send 3 and 4 star kids to the NBA.

Going along with what others have said, yes you are correct about UK: "Kentucky is known as the stepping stone between high school and the NBA for highly ranked players." But of course, those players didn't need anything to get to the league other than being one year older. I argue that "Syracuse is known as the stepping stone between high school and the NBA for mid ranked players." That is a much more valuable proposition and speaks to tangible benefits of selecting SU as your college destination.