Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 109 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

Yea. About as useful as a Facebook post announcing you're leaving Facebook.
I'm not sure sure how it's different than any of the other posts discussing NIL and how we "can't compete".

I think the fact that SU is involved in an un-winnable arms race as a private school is a fair point, is it not? Unless we have a mega donor crawl out of the woodwork like Memphis/St. John's, we have to make due with what we have.

All I'm saying is the $10 a month I could donate isn't going to make any difference to land a top tier player.

Thats not 100% of it. How are we getting elite kids in football. Its a combination of things
We don't have to come up with the money for any of the kids in the off classes right now. We can tell them anything. I think Fran believes that if we win now, the money will be there in the future. Red doesn't have that luxury. He has to pay now for the kids in this class.

I'm not sure sure how it's different than any of the other posts discussing NIL and how we "can't compete".

I think the fact that SU is involved in an un-winnable arms race as a private school is a fair point, is it not? Unless we have a mega donor crawl out of the woodwork like Memphis/St. John's, we have to make due with what we have.

All I'm saying is the $10 a month I could donate isn't going to make any difference to land a top tier player.
While that is true, it's the 2 dollar window that keeps the race tracks open along with the dollar slot players. We have to get another whale or two. But we need a better effort on the $10 a month people as well. That money adds up.

We don't have to come up with the money for any of the kids in the off classes right now. We can tell them anything. I think Fran believes that if we win now, the money will be there in the future. Red doesn't have that luxury. He has to pay now for the kids in this class.
How do you explain all of the big-time transfers?

If I'm a transfer and you're telling me 'it's coming', I'm probably going somewhere else that has a sure thing.

UNLESS it isn't all about the money.

How do you explain all of the big-time transfers?

If I'm a transfer and you're telling me 'it's coming', I'm probably going somewhere else that has a sure thing.

UNLESS it isn't all about the money.
Two different things. There was a rush of money that came in when Fran was hired. I sent money. So he got a bump right off. But the kids in the future classes, NIL hasn't paid them anything as of yet, have they? Fran can say anything to the class of '25 or the class of '26. He doesn't have to pony up the dough now. If we win, Fran has to think, and I agree, more money will flood in. Time will tell if we win and if the money comes flowing in. I hope both happen.

Fair points. I'm grumpy. We're getting big boy'd by schools that we laughed at 10 years ago.

I dated a girl who went to SU for 4 years and never watched a game until she watched one with me and probably never watched another after we stopped talking. Dated a girl who went SU law when i lived out in Vegas, same thing.

I'm guessing 90% or more of the alumni couldn't name the head football or basketball coach let alone opening the wallet to make some 20 year old rich.
dont doubt it

but on the flip side...how many alabama alums know anything about their basketball team???

my point is just that SU has a huge basketball fanbase...and that simple fact should translate to big NIL, imo

coach griffin was talking about how he had a group of SU fans show up for his game when he was in Slovenia, for example

we're seeing tectonic shifts in the landscape that are disconnected from strength of fanbases, which shouldnt happen, imo

The good news is that everything is pointless and in the grand scheme of things all of us will be forgotten the second that we die

bd6a87d8-4952-4f21-a16e-9f70a3e53a9c_text.gif

People here are taking the piss on vitamin water and portray Adam as a sleazy mob boss who the university needed to disassociate from (despite the fact that he still hangs out with JB). I never said all billionaires are shady - but my impression is the ones who are trying to get into the NIL game with their respective schools tend to strike a narcissistic tone. I think the university will change their tune on Adam if season tickets start crashing. We might be 1 more NIT season away from such a precipice. Fans are loyal up to a point and I think SU takes it for granted.
"Billionaires are generally going to be shady characters." Might have to convert all of your stupid comments to microfiche.

Nobody ever said they are dumb. It certainly sounds like a case where an objective person can make an argument for and against trying to retain Adam. I also think it's reasonable to think the university may rethink their position if the NIL shortfall continues to be a problem. My biggest issue is some will view NIL as a scapegoat that completely exonerates this team's outlook next season and beyond. I wouldn't mind being the head coach if I can just say "we didn't have the money to compete".
Didn't you and twothreezone say the "hard core fans" deserve to be told via a whisper campaign that "we didn't have the money compete". Maybe he said it and you agreed.

Didn't you and twothreezone say the "hard core fans" deserve to be told via a whisper campaign that "we didn't have the money compete". Maybe he said it and you agreed.
Sorry two three zone confused you with someone else.

$600K a year isn’t much of anything for the real difference makers.

It’s not Reds fault. But clearly we don’t have the money that other NIL collectives do
This is just amazing to see on the same board where it was not long ago that we had posts making an impassioned argument that student-athlete value was exactly equivalent to the scholarship they receive.

Its me dude. The lawyer, it would be like comparing me pulling her to Red pulling Anthony Edwards out of the portal.
Also, some of us short kings that enjoy the company of hot women (ahem) really have to earn it through personality so we can't just assume success because we're tall.

And also you're a lovely human being so I'm sure that factors in.

But also... it's probably mostly you're tall.

Adam might be a great guy by all accounts why wouldn’t he follow the rules then? From the articles it sounded like he crossed his T’s and dotted his eyes…I feel like something is missing. I also don’t think we are in a position to lose to St John’s for too basketball transfers