Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal

I would.

Kadary wasn't a malcontent, like some of the guys who just opted out.

But I'm happy with the two we got, and happy to roll with them instead.
Yeah, I love his game. Would love him here.

He was out of shape when he was here, but who’s fault is that really.

Didn’t see guys tugging their shorts much last year.

Yeah, I love his game. Would love him here.

He was out of shape when he was here, but who’s fault is that really.

Didn’t see guys tugging their shorts much last year.
Well said.

Kid had tremendous talent, but also some flaws. He wasn't in great shape, he also is in a great man-to-man defender, because he's not exceedingly quick. Not the best shooter from deep.

But damn, I wish we had had him these past couple of years, maybe some things might have turned out differently.

Oh well.

He carried Seton Hall on his back with some insane stat lines, he goes on a decent team and they're title contenders. Easily worth the investment.
He's a difficult case to evaluate. When he's working, he's a really good player. But, as noted above, his motor is not constant. He's uninvolved, slow, and disengaged for spurts, possessions, and then he's strong and making fantastic plays in the next spurts, possessions.

His optics are just weird. Looks like he can dominate a game in one moment, looks like he should be waving to the bench for a rest in the next moment. I'd have to look really closely at his +/-, but not the stat line—actually what happens with his direct opponent in every possession when he's on the court. I'm not sure that's a favorable assessment for him, but that's just an impression. His game is kind of like a magic trick sometimes.

I don't think i'd draft him. I still really suspect he's got the same kind of stamina issue i've always had.

He's a difficult case to evaluate. When he's working, he's a really good player. But, as noted above, his motor is not constant. He's uninvolved, slow, and disengaged for spurts, possessions, and then he's strong and making fantastic plays in the next spurts, possessions.

His optics are just weird. Looks like he can dominate a game in one moment, looks like he should be waving to the bench for a rest in the next moment. I'd have to look really closely at his +/-, but not the stat line—actually what happens with his direct opponent in every possession when he's on the court. I'm not sure that's a favorable assessment for him, but that's just an impression. His game is kind of like a magic trick sometimes.

I don't think i'd draft him. I still really suspect he's got the same kind of stamina issue i've always had.
His Box Plus/Minus was 8.9 last year.
(Maliq was 7.4)
For context...
  • +10.0 is an all-time season (think peak Jordan or LeBron)
  • +8.0 is an MVP season (think peak Dirk or peak Shaq)
  • +6.0 is an all-NBA season
  • +4.0 is in all-star consideration
  • +2.0 is a good starter
  • +0.0 is a decent starter or solid 6th man
  • -2.0 is a bench player (this is also defined as "replacement level")
  • Below -2.0 are many end-of-bench players

(Maliq was 7.4)
For context...
  • +2.0 is a good starter
He may be one of the most underrated players I've ever seen on this board. Then again the people I agree with most on here are usually the ones who I agree with this.

(Maliq was 7.4)
For context...
  • +2.0 is a good starter
And to comment on this, this is insane to me. I'm intrigued what kind of seasons with that high of a number we've seen here.

Maliq is an awful loss. Hey, at least Kadary isnt going to Duke too.

My Delayed Epiphany:
Love JAB, but man did he blow it big time w/Kadary. Really hurt us in the long run.
HOF Coach had no peer. There was no one to say to him, "Listen Jim, this is a guy you don't want to lose."

And to comment on this, this is insane to me. I'm intrigued what kind of seasons with that high of a number we've seen here.

Maliq is an awful loss. Hey, at least Kadary isnt going to Duke too.
The scale works better in the NBA where you can compare players easier, but the general point remains.

There's some weird ones. Alan Griffin had an unreasonably high # due to him playing big mins when he played well and pulled when he sucked...so his metrics made him look amazing Per 100 possessions.

My Delayed Epiphany:
Love JAB, but man did he blow it big time w/Kadary. Really hurt us in the long run.
HOF Coach had no peer. There was no one to say to him, "Listen Jim, this is a guy you don't want to lose."
Kadary didn’t want to work to win. That’s a fatal flaw in all sports. JAB pushed and he didn’t respond

What’s weird is Kadary won an NIT title with Seton Hall in 3 yrs and helped SU make the sweet 16 in his one year at SU off the bench. Talented kid but made a bad choice in where he transferred to.

I understand the original reason people underrated him. I don't really understand the ongoing reason to.
I don’t think I underrate him. I had a lot of effusive things to say about him when he was with us. And with him at Hall, in the limited amount I saw, as I said—he did a lot of fantastic things and could dominate in stretches. But, also, as said, he was lethargic and uninvolved in other stretches, and the optics of his game are… weird and uncommon. He looks like he’s doing the least amount of work possible. Which is strange in that he can affect the game so significantly when he is doing work.

I mentioned my (congenital?) stamina issue. He plays the way I would have to play—it would look like Conservation Mode. I will always wonder if that’s at the Heart of it.

I don’t think I underrate him. I had a lot of effusive things to say about him when he was with us. And with him at Hall, in the limited amount I saw, as I said—he did a lot of fantastic things and could dominate in stretches. But, also, as said, he was lethargic and uninvolved in other stretches, and the optics of his game are… weird and uncommon. He looks like he’s doing the least amount of work possible. Which is strange in that he can affect the game so significantly when he is doing work.

I mentioned my (congenital?) stamina issue. He plays the way I would have to play—it would look like Conservation Mode. I will always wonder if that’s at the Heart of it.
Yeah, wasn't suggesting you personally necessarily.

I get your point, but my counter is the lethargic stretches, etc. Those are build in to the numbers he produces. If he wasn't effective, we'd see that. Now can you suggest he isn't as good as he could/should be? Absolutely.

Going rate for All Americans is $2-5M. It's a continuum.
He's going to get at least $500-600K, I would guess.
If some big money team sees him as the "missing piece" to a Final Four type of season, he might get it.
He was an all conference Big East player, wasn't he?
star trek q GIF

What’s weird is Kadary won an NIT title with Seton Hall in 3 yrs and helped SU make the sweet 16 in his one year at SU off the bench. Talented kid but made a bad choice in where he transferred to.
It was closer to home, may have been exactly where he wanted to be. He could've left.

Hypothetical question:

Seems like the plan is to keep salaries somewhat even for the starters or main guys so people don’t get upset if one person is making double or triple other starters.

And in this thread posters have commented someone like Kadary for close to 1m would be worth it for a team that that could turn into a contender if they add a star pg.

So the hypo is: if Syracuse finds itself in that situation, is it going to spend the 750-1m on the star and try to hang a banner, or is it going to get a cheaper option for 300k and be content just trying to make a S16?

I chalk this up as one of the players that make really elite things look basic. Kadary does this with his positioning, timing, changing of speeds, and even his skills. He doesn't look as fast as Judah but why is Kadary at the rim with an easy layup when getting past his defender but Judah is face to face getting bumped and fouled or jacking up a shot? I watched all of those NIT games and there wasnt a second I questioned his motor. I doubt Danny Hurley doesn't question it either.

Hypothetical question:

Seems like the plan is to keep salaries somewhat even for the starters or main guys so people don’t get upset if one person is making double or triple other starters.

And in this thread posters have commented someone like Kadary for close to 1m would be worth it for a team that that could turn into a contender if they add a star pg.

So the hypo is: if Syracuse finds itself in that situation, is it going to spend the 750-1m on the star and try to hang a banner, or is it going to get a cheaper option for 300k and be content just trying to make a S16?
If its not for a bigger banner then I think I'll accept we're not big time basketball.