Class of 2019 - G Quincy Guerrier (QB) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 G Quincy Guerrier (QB) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
another question here, what is there for the NCAA to approve if he isn't even going to play? if he is admitted to syracuse and given an athletic scholarship, what right does the ncaa have to say he can't be a part of the team? it seems to me, the only thing the ncaa should have a say in is whether he can play in the games.

Yeah, that'd make sense.

Which is why the NCAA is butchering this process so badly. Shocker, right?

But the thing is - he's getting a free ride on an ATHLETIC scholarship.
So, he has to be cleared in that regard, even if he has zero intention of playing this semeseter.
Or - his folks would have to pay tuition & room & board. And he could walk on.

The NCAA wants to build a wall between SU and Canada to prevent the hordes of players that’ll make Cuse the Duke of the North

Wait...what? He was supposed to be an early?

That was the plan from the beginning -- that he was going to commit and enroll for the second semester, to practice with the team.

Of course, despite being qualified, his enrollment got hung up on NCAA red tape over some of his course work being in French. I'm sure they'll get it all reviewed / cleared up as soon as it is no longer feasible for him to enroll this semester, as planned.

That was the plan from the beginning -- that he was going to commit and enroll for the second semester, to practice with the team.

Of course, despite being qualified, his enrollment got hung up on NCAA red tape over some of his course work being in French. I'm sure they'll get it all reviewed / cleared up as soon as it is no longer feasible for him to enroll this semester, as planned.
I don't know who on the team is responsible for getting their athletes cleared by the NCAA, but I think it's time that they got some help.

That sucks, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not sure it's that big a deal. He's still "signed" for next fall and it sounds like the issue was a lack of credits (as few as one), which is something that should be able to be cured fairly easily.

So what does he do for the remainder of this season, has he been playing with his high/prep school?

Maybe there is a legitimate issue, but what's weird is that it seems like he's trying to do a good thing by beginning his academics without the full pressures of athletic competition, but I guess that's frowned upon.

He doesn’t have enough credits.

Maybe there is a legitimate issue, but what's weird is that it seems like he's trying to do a good thing by beginning his academics without the full pressures of athletic competition, but I guess that's frowned upon.

But there are basic requirements that must be met to qualify. I think its probably very easy when the kid went to a US public high school to match up the requirements to the kids academic record.
When you introduce some of these U.S. "prep"/"charter" schools that may not be as organized as others the qualification process becomes more difficult.

When you take the same situation from an entirely different system in a foreign country, it just magnifies the difficulty.

Many of the US schools are focused on sending athletes to school so they have their act together on putting together packages/programs to meet NCAA requirements. Not so sure that is the case when you are talking about a school in another country. This might actually be a situation where no one is really at fault, despite the incessant need to always find someone to "blame".

But there are basic requirements that must be met to qualify. I think its probably very easy when the kid went to a US public high school to match up the requirements to the kids academic record.
When you introduce some of these U.S. "prep"/"charter" schools that may not be as organized as others the qualification process becomes more difficult.

When you take the same situation from an entirely different system in a foreign country, it just magnifies the difficulty.

Many of the US schools are focused on sending athletes to school so they have their act together on putting together packages/programs to meet NCAA requirements. Not so sure that is the case when you are talking about a school in another country. This might actually be a situation where no one is really at fault, despite the incessant need to always find someone to "blame".
And then there is the Marvin Bagley saga.

He doesn’t have enough credits.

Yep, I like to b@tch about the NCAA as much as the next guy, but it looks like the fault lies with the transcript this time. On a related note, how did our compliance people miss this?

Yep, I like to b@tch about the NCAA as much as the next guy, but it looks like the fault lies with the transcript this time. On a related note, how did our compliance people miss this?

If he wasn't an athlete and a regular student, he'd have been able to attend. The NCAA holds prospective athletes to a higher standard. It looks like his grades itself were never an issue if he would have been here January.

Status
Not open for further replies.