G & Rak..... | Syracusefan.com

G & Rak.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
I gotta confess - I did not see it coming with either player.

Rak has just made a huge jump from last season. The only others guys who I can remember making similar Jr to Sr jumps were Danny Schayes & Sims, and in both cases it was because they didn't get much run as underclassmen. Rak's jump is totally unique for a guy who has had his minutes. He has been consistent for 12 games, so there is no reason to think it will not continue.

G has really surprised. He has just made a quantum jump out of the blue. His form is suddenly looking stellar on his J, and he is showing trey range. Truthfully, I had only see him as a slash & dash type who didn't seemed tough enough to go inside & finish consistently. Of course, his sudden jump is only a few games old, so we have to hope that this new G is the real deal. Equally surprisingly, is that he has shown enough moxie under the class to play the three. Last year he looked really meek & out of place at the three spot. Not to mention that he has been a huge help in taking pressure off of Kaleb in bringing the ball up. His continuing to play at this new level, along with Cooney maintaining his strong recent play, are probably the two biggest linchpins to us turning it around and having a successful season.

It looks like the team his figured out what to do, and that to do is relying on a big three of X, Cooney, and G. The nice thing about that mix is you have an inside guy, a slash guy who can hit from outside, and an outside guy who can now do some slashing. There are also some nice complimentary pieces with plenty of upside in KJ and McC plus Beast seems to be finding himself. Problem is when I add that all up it only comes to six guys. We need somebody else to emerge and be able to help off the bench. Jimmy seems to be leaning towards Patterson for that role, hope it plays out.

All in all, the team still badly needs a couple of signature wins to really prove the pieces add up against serious competition.

In 12 games this season Rak has scored more points than in any other single complete season of his career.

I second pearl31 that is an amazing stat right there.

He had 503 for his career coming into this season yet he is on pace for 1000 career points.

It looks like the team his figured out what to do, and that to do is relying on a big three of X, Cooney, and G. The nice thing about that mix is you have an inside guy, a slash guy who can hit from outside, and an outside guy who can now do some slashing. There are also some nice complimentary pieces with plenty of upside in KJ and McC plus Beast seems to be finding himself. Problem is when I add that all up it only comes to six guys. We need somebody else to emerge and be able to help off the bench. Jimmy seems to be leaning towards Patterson for that role, hope it plays out.
I think all that has been decided is that Christmas is the go-to guy on offense and that Cooney is the volume 3-point shooter needed to keep defenses from collapsing on the interior scorers.

For this team to really do some damage, Gbinije has to consistently play at his recent level (or something approaching it) over the long haul; I believe he can, but the jury is still out. Also, McCullough will need to realize the potential he showed through the first 8 games. I believe he is much more than a complimentary piece and will break out once he adjusts to the physical style of play he is seeing now and regains some confidence.

I am also hopeful that Johnson and Patterson will be able to contribute in some big spots during ACC play. Given their relative lack of experience, Johnson has shown a lot of toughness and a surprising knack on the glass, and Patterson has brought good energy off the bench at times.

Last edited:
So the big question with Rak...did he have this game last year and we foolishly didn't use it or did he magically acquire it over the summer?
I'd like to think the player we are seeing today is the product of experience, physical maturation, hard work and good coaching. To suggest this player was there all the while last season is as silly as saying the sophomore versions of MCW and Waiters were available to JB when they were freshmen.

So the big question with Rak...did he have this game last year and we foolishly didn't use it or did he magically acquire it over the summer?
I've been banging the drum since Rak's sophomore year that he was a lot better than he was being given the chance to show.

There's no doubt he has improved. The jumper is new, and while I think he's always been crafty with the ball around the basket, his ability to make moves from a little ways away from the basket is new.

I think if we had emphasized feeding the post the past two seasons we wouldn't think the difference in his game is quite so striking. As RF mentioned in his dissertation earlier today, we actually feed the post this season.

Some of it is also Coach Boeheim, not just developmentally, but in terms of the situation. For whatever reason he was a lot more comfortable with Bad Mutha Keita on the floor at times. That security blanket isn't on the bench anymore, so he has to ride or die with Rak.

I'm happy to have underestimated Rak's development in my mind. He still seems like he's not a natural-born , put-ball-in-basket kind of guy. But neither was Onuaku, nor Jackson. And those 2 eventually combined for about 70% from the field that one year. But Boeheim did say about Rak (oddly, and repeatedly) a few years ago, "he's too nice." Has anyone noticed that whenever Rak has just done something good or great this year, he has a look on his face that one can't quite tell is anger or disappointment? Anyone else see that? I see it like 4-5 times a game. Maybe his inner sense of accomplishment still needs more time to catch up. If it does, and he learns to be confident before and after his man-among-boys plays, look out (including coach K's bigger studs, who tend to seem slightly soft to me somehow, no matter what their talents are).

With G and Cooney waking up, I'm hoping a lingering dream/theory ace card will come true this year - that, in fact, SU is not a "young" team, but rather a stealth experienced team in terms of sheer age.

Cooney, G, and Rak are all chronologically seniors. And Patterson is kinda there. Could there be some sort of catch-up value in this by March?

Rak never seemed totally committed to basketball. If I recall almost every year he thought of quitting - not to transfer but just to not play anymore. I think that was part of his reason in graduating early. Remember he didn't grow up playing basketball, not moving to Philly from the laid back St Croix till he was in his teens. It's obvious he's dedicated himself now to be the best he can be. He started in 35 of 37 games his freshman year here so it's not that he didn't get time/chances. The center in JB's system is key to the defense and unfortunately Rak used to take himself out of games by committing fouls and not being ready to play the pivotal defensive role required. So happy to see him playing so well, enjoying the leadership role and developing into a real force for opponents to reckon with. JB's a true believer in the center rebounding and making himself part of the offense with putbacks etc. This is one of the best parts of being a fan - seeing the light go on for players and watching them develop over time. Many kids just need that - time.

not moving to Philly from the laid back St Croix till he was in his teens.

Wow, I didn't realize that Rak grew up in the USVI. Man, St. Croix to Philly - I don't think you can do a bigger 180 than that in terms of scenic beauty.

Rak never seemed totally committed to basketball. If I recall almost every year he thought of quitting - not to transfer but just to not play anymore. I think that was part of his reason in graduating early. Remember he didn't grow up playing basketball, not moving to Philly from the laid back St Croix till he was in his teens. It's obvious he's dedicated himself now to be the best he can be. He started in 35 of 37 games his freshman year here so it's not that he didn't get time/chances. The center in JB's system is key to the defense and unfortunately Rak used to take himself out of games by committing fouls and not being ready to play the pivotal defensive role required. So happy to see him playing so well, enjoying the leadership role and developing into a real force for opponents to reckon with. JB's a true believer in the center rebounding and making himself part of the offense. This is one of the best parts of being a fan - seeing the light go on for players and watching them develop over time. Many kids just need that - time.
That's the kind of post that makes this board special.

I gotta confess - I did not see it coming with either player.

Rak has just made a huge jump from last season.
I gotta confess--I did predict that Rak would make the jump (based on reading about his determined summer workouts).

It was in him - it was always in him! How do I know that? Because I insisted as much from his Frosh season on! :)

I've been banging the drum since Rak's sophomore year that he was a lot better than he was being given the chance to show.

There's no doubt he has improved. The jumper is new, and while I think he's always been crafty with the ball around the basket, his ability to make moves from a little ways away from the basket is new.

I think if we had emphasized feeding the post the past two seasons we wouldn't think the difference in his game is quite so striking. As RF mentioned in his dissertation earlier today, we actually feed the post this season.

Some of it is also Coach Boeheim, not just developmentally, but in terms of the situation. For whatever reason he was a lot more comfortable with Bad Mutha Keita on the floor at times. That security blanket isn't on the bench anymore, so he has to ride or die with Rak.

Yes, you were. I would agree he's improved, but I still would maintain a lot of it was just lack of opportunity. JB said something on one of his shows SWC recaps, that he had some of this in him last year, but we didn't need to get it into him because of our other scorers...or something like that.

I think that's sort of nonsense - if true. Throwing the ball into the post makes the defense react - even on crappy players you see the defense collapse when the ball hits the post, and at times last year that could have helped our offense considerably. Especially if he did have any of this in his arsenal then.

Cheriehoop's post above says it all.

The raw athleticism and skill were always there, but the focus in general was not. Laid back Island kid who just didn't play aggressively, and spent more time drifting on the court than he did making substantive contributions. I don't know if the light went on because this is his last year, or he is motivated by the prospect of playing for pay in the NBA, but he's laser focused now. And the results speak for themselves.

His readiness, concentration, and generally speaking his experience / game IQ [with the notable exception of him committing too many unforced fouls--need to cut down on those] has finally caught up to his above average athleticism. And the net result is a stud center with a man's physique who is now maximizing the promise that his athletic tools have suggested all along. My opinion only, but the issue is a lot less about Rak being "under utilized" during his career and more about him not consistently doing the things he needed to do to be a dependable player. We saw flashes last year, and then he went right back to being inconsistent.

That isn't the case anymore.

Kid is putting himself in a position to be drafted, as hard to believe as that sounds. Hats off to him for sticking with the program and elevating both his commitment to the game and his level of play.

at times last year that could have helped our offense considerably.
Like at the end of the BC game when it was thrown into him to win the game? :noidea:

The raw athleticism and skill were always there, but the focus in general was not. Laid back Island kid who just didn't play aggressively, and spent more time drifting on the court than he did making substantive contributions. I don't know if the light went on because this is his last year, or he is motivated by the prospect of playing for pay in the NBA, but he's laser focused now. And the results speak for themselves.

His readiness, concentration, and generally speaking his experience / game IQ [with the notable exception of him committing too many unforced fouls--need to cut down on those] has finally caught up to his above average athleticism. And the net result is a stud center with a man's physique who is now maximizing the promise that his athletic tools have suggested all along. My opinion only, but the issue is a lot less about Rak being "under utilized" during his career and more about him not consistently doing the things he needed to do to be a dependable player. We saw flashes last year, and then he went right back to being inconsistent.

Kid is putting himself in a position to be drafted, as hard to believe as that sounds. Hats off to him for sticking with the program and elevating both his commitment to the game and his level of play.

Dead on. He needed to prove his "dependability" to JB while also learning the game. Rak did not grow up playing basketball. Teaching/learning instincts for the game is a nearly impossible task in 4 years. Rak is a freak athlete, but not a "natural" baller like the majority of the US born kids playing at this level. Rak has not been lying in the weeds waiting for his time. He has persevered through a steep learning curve (and JB's lack of trust) to transform into the player he is today.

Yep, good observations. I agree.

Huh? You picked one shot he missed from an entire season, at the buzzer (a position he hardly found himself in often) to prove your point? Silly.
And what are you picking? Boeheim willfully didn't run the offense through Rak—knowing it actually would be better for the team and apparently not wanting what was best for the team? Or, better yet, he didn't run the offense through him because he just didn't have the judgement or acumen to see how effective Rak would have been?

And what are you picking? Boeheim willfully didn't run the offense through Rak—knowing it actually would be better for the team and apparently not wanting what was best for the team? Or, better yet, he didn't run the offense through him because he just didn't have the judgement or acumen to see how effective Rak would have been?
It's not about running the offense through Rak though, it's about questioning if we couldn't get more out of our post players if we fed them the ball a little more.

Look, it's been a long time since we've really made a concerted effort to feed the post. That seems weird because we've had some really talented guys in the post. Onuaku was a career 64% shooter from the field, and the three years he was a starter he averaged only 7.5 shot attempts per game and was regularly ignored by his guards when he had carved out great position. Jackson's senior year he actually averaged 10 shots a game - a huge rarity for an SU big.

Now, here's the thing - you can say you wanted to limit their shots because they were such bad FT shooters, and maybe you were worried about a lot of empty possessions. But Rak proved last year that he's a very good free throw shooter. And we definitely had some problems on offense. And Rak would fight for position and play a lot better when he got involved early. So what's up?

Rak has been good all year long and is becoming better and better as the season advances. G was somewhat shaky at 1st, but the light bulb has really turned on for him lately. The light is now burning bright for both. Same can be said for Cooney. Now the 3 need to stay consistent. Now, we need the others to do the same. For KJ, the bulb is slowly but methodically becoming brighter. Need the same from TR and CM. And they all need to increase/maintain defensive intensity. Then, this board will really light up too.

Huh? Who said run the offense through him - I'm saying they could (should) have involved him on offense more.

Working the ball inside more often would have been beneficial to everyone. You can even see in our zone at times what happens when someone gets it inside. The defense shifts - often leaving defenders out of position. Michigan exploited that quite a bit earlier this year. It's a natural inclination to collapse when the ball/player is in the post. Even if Rak was horrible on offense, which I don't think he ever was (but it is a debatable point), I still think we would have benefited by getting him more touches.

My point then, as it is now, is that Rak didn't get the touches to ever establish himself down low. JB even said on his radio show that he was capable of more last year, the offense just didn't go through him. I simply disagree with the make-up of last year's team that everyone wouldn't have benefited from more ball movement involving Rak in the post. If you have someone with decent passing skills, and good hands - get him some touches when the offense is laboring possession after possession. It's all speculation...but I doubt he went from 3 year dud (as some would have said) to this kind of production without a little bit of this bubbling beneath the surface earlier in his career.