G & Rak..... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

G & Rak.....

Jackson had about 10 shots a game as a senior, I think. Way fewer for Fab; he was Option #5 on that offense.

Arinze was used a little more frequently, though some would argue not frequently enough.

Fab didn't have any low post game. That's why we didn't feed him the ball inside. He scored mostly in transition [running the floor], on put backs, and medium range shots. But the achilles heel of that 2012 team was that we lacked inside scoring. Mostly because Fab and Rak didn't provide any. The team made up for it in part by forcing so many turnovers and getting easy scoring opportunities on run outs. But it wasn't a coaching shortcoming that we didn't force the ball into Fab--he honestly didn't have a back to the basket game.

Would he if he'd come back for a junior year? Probable--he was only scratching the surface on his developmental curve in 2012. But that year, he wasn't capable of providing that. Nor did he warrant getting as many touches as Arinze, who HAD a low post game.

Fab didn't have any low post game. That's why we didn't feed him the ball inside. He scored mostly in transition [running the floor], on put backs, and medium range shots. But the achilles heel of that 2012 team was that we lacked inside scoring. Mostly because Fab and Rak didn't provide any. The team made up for it in part by forcing so many turnovers and getting easy scoring opportunities on run outs. But it wasn't a coaching shortcoming that we didn't force the ball into Fab--he honestly didn't have a back to the basket game.

Would he if he'd come back for a junior year? Probable--he was only scratching the surface on his developmental curve in 2012. But that year, he wasn't capable of providing that. Nor did he warrant getting as many touches as Arinze, who HAD a low post game.

Was only addressing the post Bees made.

Fab's offense was inconsistent and unrefined in 2012; his suspension interrupted a relatively solid streak of play. He rightly was our last offensive option.

Was only addressing the post Bees made.

Fab's offense was inconsistent and unrefined in 2012; his suspension interrupted a relatively solid streak of play. He rightly was our last offensive option.

And to be clear--his transformation [physically, and on the court] was remarkable from year 1 to year 2. He might have gotten even better when he figured out how to use his size inside to score. At the very least, he would have been a helluva lot more prepared to stick in the NBA.

And to be clear--his transformation [physically, and on the court] was remarkable from year 1 to year 2. He might have gotten even better when he figured out how to use his size inside to score. At the very least, he would have been a helluva lot more prepared to stick in the NBA.

Actually Fab was a rare guy who NBA wise wouldn't have been hurt by staying all 4 years IMO. He was so raw and so physically gifted that he almost undoubtedly would have shown enough improvement year to year to remain a very high pick and as you say he could have learned the things he needed to stick in the league that way. He was very new to the game. Obviously you need to be eligible to stay. :(

Fab would have been a very good college player and probably a decent pro; what he did to himself is a real shame.

Even as a fat freshman he showed some good vision and interior passing skills. By the middle of his sophomore year, he'd learned a couple post moves and was effective with the pick and roll (though he wasn't a strong finisher). He plateaued from there and that was that.

As a junior who wanted to fulfill his obligations, he likely would have been someone who was featured on offense. During his two seasons, though, he never was (and shouldn't have been).

OttoMets said:
Jackson had fewer than 10 shots a game as a senior, I think. Way fewer for Fab; he was Option #5 on that offense. Arinze was used a little more frequently, though some would argue not frequently enough. At no point was Jackson or Onuaku a first or second option (and I'm not arguing that Jackson should have been).

Jackson was the 2nd leading scorer. He was a key on that offense.

Jackson was the 2nd leading scorer. He was a key on that offense.

I'm surprised to see that he made more shots than anyone else. He played more minutes and was second in scoring. He was a key, yes, but I don't think that we emphasized getting the ball into the post by any stretch. It wouldn't kill me to go back and watch some of the games, but I remember Jackson as the fourth option behind Joseph, Scoop, and Triche.

I think we had a relatively balanced offense that year by design.

Actually Fab was a rare guy who NBA wise wouldn't have been hurt by staying all 4 years IMO. He was so raw and so physically gifted that he almost undoubtedly would have shown enough improvement year to year to remain a very high pick and as you say he could have learned the things he needed to stick in the league that way. He was very new to the game. Obviously you need to be eligible to stay. :(

Don't mean to stray from topic of thread, but fact that Fab Melo is not playing NBA basketball right now is really shocking to me. Out of all the former Syracuse players who have not/never made it in the NBA, he's one that is most surprising to me.

Always felt that a guy that big, with his athletic ability (360 dunk) & seemingly natural instincts for the game (such a good shot blocker doesn't happen without great instincts) would be a can't-miss NBA player. Guess it just goes to show you that a guy's mental makeup can certainly derail the most promising of potential careers. Sadly.

Henny & Coke said:
Don't mean to stray from topic of thread, but fact that Fab Melo is not playing NBA basketball right now is really shocking to me. Out of all the former Syracuse players who have not/never made it in the NBA, he's one that is most surprising to me. Always felt that a guy that big, with his athletic ability (360 dunk) & seemingly natural instincts for the game (such a good shot blocker doesn't happen without great instincts) would be a can't-miss NBA player. Guess it just goes to show you that a guy's mental makeup can certainly derail the most promising of potential careers. Sadly.

I'd like to add in, he didn't even play basketball for that long. We was BE player of the year and he had one of the best year 1 to year 2 improvements that I've ever seen.

I'd like to add in, he didn't even play basketball for that long. We was BE player of the year and he had one of the best year 1 to year 2 improvements that I've ever seen.

I'll never forget the 10 blocked shots (in only 25 mins played) against Seton Hall - the impact Fab had on that game was simply incredible. And it's not like they were some undersized mid-major either. They had a senior forward Herb Pope (he was 6-8) that was decent enough, averaging 15 ppg that year - but Fab ate his lunch. Guy went 2-9 for 4 total points, and had 6 turnovers!! Remember almost feeling bad for the guy at the time haha! Also wondered how many blocks Fab could have had if coach had not taken him out early.