Gabe Horan medically disqualified due to concussions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gabe Horan medically disqualified due to concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
horrible news for the kid.

Man this sucks. I thought Horan was going to be a darn good legit size TE who was going to get some serious on field action this year. This definitely leaves a large gap on the depth chart. I'm betting Dino finds a way to plug it but wondering if it will be earlier than a 2020 freshman.

Not sure if this is the reason for the disqualification, but I had heard from a family member of Gabe's that he took a pretty big shot in practice leading up to the Clemson game... tough blow for him. Wish him well

Well this sucks for Gabe and us.
Great humble kid. But the good news is he had a more prolific career than lot of college players. Not everyone gets to catch a TD pass in the Dome

Tough break for him. Probably explains why we saw very little of him during the latter part of the year.

I imagine that we will see a grad transfer at TE considering how limited the depth chart is right now. I think that’s a necessity at this point.

Tough break for him. Probably explains why we saw very little of him during the latter part of the year.

I imagine that we will see a grad transfer at TE considering how limited the depth chart is right now. I think that’s a necessity at this point.
Bet Tyler Mabry, grad transfer from UB will be seriously considered

Just out of curiosity, does he keep his schollie? Hope he gets a good 4 year education out of it.

Well this sucks for Gabe and us.
Great humble kid. But the good news is he had a more prolific career than lot of college players. Not everyone gets to catch a TD pass in the Dome
I will never forget my two TDs in the Dome. Of course, they were in pickup games, but they're still special to me.
But seriously, I really feel badly for any kid who gets a medical DQ for two reasons: their dream of playing football ends and they have a serious physical issue to deal with (they don't dq for minor things). I wish him the best.

Just out of curiosity, does he keep his schollie? Hope he gets a good 4 year education out of it.

In the 18 or so years I've been following this forum, I can recall no situation where a player was medically disqualified and then bounced out of the university. There have been cases where players have sought other opportunities to play, like:

Kyle Knapp
AJ Long
Steve Clark
Charlie Copa

Conversely, there have been instances where disqualified players have stayed at Syracuse (at least to my knowledge, could be wrong), like:

Isaiah Johnson
Myles Davis
Denzel Ward
Luke Arciniega
Tyler Provo
Kristofer Curtis (I believe)

Then there have been instances where players have left the university, even after the guarantee of being afforded enough time to complete their degree while medically disqualified, like Jermaine Pierce (a cautionary tale) and Tyler Marona (who pursued a path back in California playing baseball).

Would any institute of higher learning want to be seen as the place that uses you and spits you out? There is extremely bad optics if scholarships are taken away after a player is injured, and besides, I thought universities are now on the hook for 4 years automatically after signing (as long as the player stays in the good graces of the school).

Last edited:
The world is filled with not-so-stellar students that went on to be very successful based on a lot of other traits. UnderArmor’s Kevin Plank got bounced out of Georgetown Prep and went to St Johns. He was never a great student.
Well, who can't succeed at St. John's?

the school can convert it to a regular scholie, it is an added expense, but most schools follow thru with it. some kids lose that encentive once they cant play

Well, who can't succeed at St. John's?[/

Wel, he didn’t get bounced out of SJCHS for grades. But, that’s your point, I guess. Not many have.

Are we talking about the same thing here? The St Johns Kevin Plank went to is St Johns High School on Military Road in DC. He went from there to Maryland. He went on to make many millions none of which required him to read “Wuthering Heights” or to compare and contrast Athens and Sparta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom