Galloway and the culture at Jacksonville...should SU have brought him here? | Syracusefan.com

Galloway and the culture at Jacksonville...should SU have brought him here?

kismet35

Walk On
Recently read a great article via Inside lacrosse on Galloway and about the culture that he has instilled at Jacksonville. Should we have brought him here? From a far-out perspective with little knowledge of the inner workings of the current program; I cannot help but think about what he could have done for the program at Syracuse. I truly believe that the old school lacrosse hey-days are over with...and that you have to have a program that is disciplined and well-structured from the top down. When looking at Maryland, Virginia (friends with some of the current players on both teams) and some other notable programs, this seems to be the common trend. From a far reaching outside perspective, it just seems that the new staff has a very lackadaisical approach. Not bashing the new staff at all- much respect; just read that article and after seeing some social media posts from other teams already grinding away, figured i'd stir the pot!

yeah i believe it would have been better in the long term, but they went with the big name to bring the buzz and energy back to the program immediately

who knows, in a year or two if the orange are still stinking up the joint they'll probably give galloway a call. still think there's a chance he ends up back in the dome

My understanding is that Galloway was the heir apparent - blessed by incumbents and royalty. Why he's not here is a mystery that needs to be solved.

At the very least, it seems he should have gotten an interview. I have to imagine that if and when Gait is no longer the head coach, whether that is in two years or 20, that Galloway will be one of the first calls.

He does seem to have the "it" factor but at the same time I don't think he's ever coached the Dolphins to an NCAA tournament game. Not sure what sort of coach could be successful at Jacksonville, but I don't think Galloway would be a slam dunk.

it just seems that the new staff has a very lackadaisical approach. Not bashing the new staff at all- much respect;

_3GL8KNU_400x400.jpg

Ehhhh, I've got to say, it feels like a bash.

I can't help wondering if Galloway has developed a commitment to Jacksonville that makes a Syracuse offer less attractive than it might have been. He can point to a competitive Jacksonville program that is largely the product of his efforts. He's got to be proud of it. And Jacksonville in the winter . . .

At the very least, it seems he should have gotten an interview. I have to imagine that if and when Gait is no longer the head coach, whether that is in two years or 20, that Galloway will be one of the first calls.

He does seem to have the "it" factor but at the same time I don't think he's ever coached the Dolphins to an NCAA tournament game. Not sure what sort of coach could be successful at Jacksonville, but I don't think Galloway would be a slam dunk.
" but at the same time I don't think he's ever coached the Dolphins to an NCAA tournament game. "

Same can be said for the current Syracuse HC.

NCAA selections for the 2022 Tournament looked odd and flawed. From my perspective, Jacksonville should have been in the tournament.

The resume of Galloway when we began looking at new hires was not exactly a convincing one, despite him obviously working with less resources and talent. It would have been a gamble on future success to hire him after a season where their best win was either Utah or Bellarmine. The good teams they played in 2021 were all losses by large margins. Looking at his results from 2017-2021 and you could say that he did succeed in moving Jacksonville from atrocious records of 3-10 to about .500 but never got them past that point in a weak conference. But on the other hand, the hires we did go forward with were certainly a gamble as well, with a guy who only ever coached women's lacrosse (quite well to be fair) and a guy at DC who was just fired for lack of results at his previous school.

I agree that Galloway will certainly get a call if we decide not to go forward with this staff in the long term. Last year was a sign we are yet to see his ceiling, but I don't think the team were quite as good as some seem to think. Landing Waldbaum was one of the best moves last offseason and landing Watson was one of the best in this one. Also would not be shocked if he is trying to get out of Jacksonville. Half the teams in their division are total garbage. Will always root for him no matter where his career goes.

Jacksonville has better weather, better locker rooms, tuition is less than here. If I was Galloway I'd choose to stay at Jacksonville no matter what.

Also would not be shocked if he is trying to get out of Jacksonville.
on the one hand, he interviewed at johns hopkins for their opening and was a finalist there so clearly he was exploring options outside jax. on the other hand, he just signed a huge extension to stay at jax. maybe he'd leave for cuse but at this point he seems happy in florida. that boat may have been missed. you want to be a year too early on a guy than a year too late

I have toured the Rock Lacrosse Center. It is nice, but it is not a game changer IMO. JU isn't at the beach - though they create the illusion that they are. Nonetheless, the school and the area (Arlington) are blah at best IMO.It is essentially a commuter school. I prefer 4 seasons and not swamp a** 10 months a year. The city has evolved over the years, but still has a southern GA vibe to me. The city, school and weather probably won't be enough to keep him there if a high profile school comes calling.

Last edited:
on the one hand, he interviewed at johns hopkins for their opening and was a finalist there so clearly he was exploring options outside jax. on the other hand, he just signed a huge extension to stay at jax. maybe he'd leave for cuse but at this point he seems happy in florida. that boat may have been missed. you want to be a year too early on a guy than a year too late

If the Gait experiment doesn't work and Galloway is still having success, being at Jax will be zero hinderance in getting him to come home, zero. Now if he's at say UNC that's a different story.

he was under .500 excluding his 1st year and well under it including it. in the socon.

no way that sits well with cuse nation or even thru the process with the decision makers. umd maybe the only "top" program that brought in someone with that kind of pedigree in the last 20-30 years, no way a syracuse signs off on that. and tillman got tons of credit as a navy asst and as a recruiter.

this thread is cray. the coaches have been there one year.

Last edited:
I can’t help but think Galloway prefers living in Jacksonville, FL over NY.

No pressure, less stress job, no state income tax etc etc.

Jacksonville has better weather, better locker rooms, tuition is less than here. If I was Galloway I'd choose to stay at Jacksonville no matter what.

Ha. No.

Galloway is likely the future. Needs more seasoning. Has done great things with Jax, but they are not tier 1 - regardless of how they are ranked. Time Will pay dividends if he’s here down the road.

I can’t help but think Galloway prefers living in Jacksonville, FL over NY.

No pressure, less stress job, no state income tax etc etc.
Jacksonville is an absolute dump. Not too mention if Syracuse calls, he will come home. If Jacksonville has a few more good seasons, Galloway will leave for a better job rather it be Syracuse or elsewhere.

Watched several JU games over Galloway's tenure. Early, they played lousy, error ridden, sloppy lacrosse. Improved somewhat through the next couple of years. Recruiting also improved significantly. Better players, better play. I think Galloway woke up to the importance fundamentals. This past season, his team played good lacrosse. I am not carried away with the idea that he can rescue SU from the current doldrums. I can think of at least ten coaches not currently coaching high end programs I would go after before considering him. Let's give him at least two or three years more at JU, then decide.

Jacksonville is an absolute dump. Not too mention if Syracuse calls, he will come home. If Jacksonville has a few more good seasons, Galloway will leave for a better job rather it be Syracuse or elsewhere.

I never said he wouldn't leave. But whether it's a dump or not is one opinion. A lot people think Syracuse is a dump and then there's the NY gov. I've been to Jacksonville, I have friends in Jacksonville and there's a lot to like about the Jacksonville area. To each their own.

I never said he wouldn't leave. But whether it's a dump or not is one opinion. A lot people think Syracuse is a dump and then there's the NY gov. I've been to Jacksonville, I have friends in Jacksonville and there's a lot to like about the Jacksonville area. To each their own.
As you probably know, he is from Camillus and Syracuse is home. I'm not sure how much time you have spent in the North Florida/Jacksonville area but it is awful imo. The worst area in Florida besides maybe the Panhandle. Miserably hot, low wage jobs, crime, strip mall after strip mall, etc. They do have decent beach communities and no state income tax.

Not my cup of tea either. However Crime is about same as Syracuse and prevailing wages a little higher. Also a bigger city with stuff to do. = Average temp in March when season starts is 75 degrees. Heard none of players live on campus. Everyone lives at beach and commutes to JU. Pretty good gig except that while the SoCon was bad, the ASUN is the worst. That move does not work in their favor at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom