Game by game predictions from CFN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game by game predictions from CFN

How did they assume Clemson will already have 2 losses when they face SU. I think Clemson will be in the Title game.
They assume we lose at Tech on a short week and at FSU. We haven't won at Tech since 2003 so I understand why they picked that.

SU vs Clemson will have more implications than any of us can foresee at the moment.

I think we'll win anywhere from 4 to 6 games. I don't know who we'll beat, but I'm fairly confident about a couple of those loses.

All kidding aside, this is a pretty generous scenario.

Add me to those who will sign for it immediately.

Last edited:
OrangeMojo said:
BC hasn't scored an offensive touchdown in 6 years and they're going to beat a 5-2 Syracuse team?????

Your Hyperbole amuses me greatly. =D

Interesting that CFN (who?) expects our defense to be strong out of the gate, but the offense not so much. Also expects Babers to settle for field goals against Pitt!

I see Dungey and our receivers primed for September, more points, and not settling for FGs. 7 wins.

Interesting that I keep hearing "Babers is a good coach, but it will take him time to get the players he needs to run his system" as the prime example of why we'll be one of the worst teams in the ACC (Not article in the OP, they seem to have no idea what they are talking about).

Let's take a chunk out of this myth (there is some truth to "better talent + more time at school = more wins", of course):

1. Babers hasn't had a lot of "his" players at either HC spot. The system has put up numbers at both places and he's won conference championships. Both Garrappalo and Johnson were on their rosters when Babers arrived.

2. Baylor is often times the example brought up. It took Briles a few years to get the type of talent he needed. But if you look at Baylor's class rankings, they were #55 his first season, #52 his second, and #40 his third. His second class had RGIII, an obvious game changer at QB. Baylor won 10 games in Briles 4th season, RGIII sophomore year. EDIT: RGIII was in his 1st class, and it was his Jr year they won 10.

We ranked #73 in 2013, #50 in 2014, and #58 in 2015. Not as good as Baylor. But is Dungey enough of a game changer at QB that he'll have a response to the system like the E.Illinois and BG QB's did? I think so. There is some talent to work with.

That's all to say - I don't think we're winning the ACC. But we won't be finishing last in our division. I could see finishing 4th in our division, beating NCst, BC, and Wake.

Last edited:
Interesting that I keep hearing "Babers is a good coach, but it will take him time to get the players he needs to run his system" as the prime example of why we'll be one of the worst teams in the ACC (Not article in the OP, they seem to have no idea what they are talking about).

Let's take a chunk out of this myth (there is some truth to "better talent + more time at school = more wins", of course):

1. Babers hasn't had a lot of "his" players at either HC spot. The system has put up numbers at both places and he's won conference championships. Both Garrappalo and Johnson were on their rosters when Babers arrived.

2. Baylor is often times the example brought up. It took Briles a few years to get the type of talent he needed. But if you look at Baylor's class rankings, they were #55 his first season, #52 his second, and #40 his third. His second class had RGIII, an obvious game changer at QB. Baylor won 10 games in Briles 4th season, RGIII sophomore year.

We ranked #73 in 2013, #50 in 2014, and #58 in 2015. Not as good as Baylor. But is Dungey enough of a game changer at QB that he'll have a response to the system like the E.Illinois and BG QB's did? I think so. There is some talent to work with.

That's all to say - I don't think we're winning the ACC. But we won't be finishing last in our division. I could see finishing 4th in our division, beating NCst, BC, and Wake.
just a slight correction: RGIII was in Briles' first recruiting class. He had committed to Houston under Briles, and then when Briles left for Baylor RGIII followed. Briles was hired by Baylor on November 28, 2007 and RGIII committed to Baylor on December 3, 2007.

I will be in rare for for the entirety of the conference slate.

Interesting that I keep hearing "Babers is a good coach, but it will take him time to get the players he needs to run his system" as the prime example of why we'll be one of the worst teams in the ACC (...).

... Not as good as Baylor. But is Dungey enough of a game changer at QB that he'll have a response to the system like the E.Illinois and BG QB's did? I think so. There is some talent to work with.

Good points. And compared to our 2015 season, after Hunt went down, Babers has a heck of a lot more to work with than Shafer and Lester had. Lester had to rework his offense on the fly, in September, around a true frosh. We have the full set of receivers back, and a better set of RBs. Babers has been working with Dungey since February. Dungey is stronger and better prepared. Babers is an excellent, offensive-minded coach. And some think Babers won't be ready to go in September?

Not the full offense, 100% installed. But it would be shocking if we aren't better than what Lester had going in the first part of 2015 (and better than BC, to take one example).

Weird that he thinks we'll falter down the stretch considering Babers has said it will take time for the team to learn the system.

If we start 5-2, put the hammer down!! I would expect at least 8 wins!!

I want to very much believe we will be competitive in each and every game but then I keep coming back to the QB depth chart. There is Sunshine and then a big drop off IMHO. This is the biggest single weakness I see with this team.

I like ED and HCBD's offense favors QBs. But why does everyone think that if ED suffers an injury the team should just quit playing? HCDB's system is built on simplification and making openings, these two points alone favor any QB.

I believe the whole QB situation is improved. We have good kids with a simplified offense, if ED does suffer an injury, HCDB will be ready for such an emergency. He did it before.

* I do not want ED or any other player to suffer an injury, just feeling with the fact that football and injuries go together
** I am not claiming the backups are as good as ED, just that HCDB has a system and gets kids ready for playing

I like ED and HCBD's offense favors QBs. But why does everyone think that if ED suffers an injury the team should just quit playing? HCDB's system is built on simplification and making openings, these two points alone favor any QB.

I believe the whole QB situation is improved. We have good kids with a simplified offense, if ED does suffer an injury, HCDB will be ready for such an emergency. He did it before.

* I do not want ED or any other player to suffer an injury, just feeling with the fact that football and injuries go together
** I am not claiming the backups are as good as ED, just that HCDB has a system and gets kids ready for playing
As long as one of the WR's routes isn't run behind the backfield on (nearly) every play then the chances of finding an open target for the QB greatly increases.

It's good to see all 4 (+ the walkon?) getting snaps in the same system.

As long as one of the WR's routes isn't run behind the backfield on (nearly) every play then the chances of finding an open target for the QB greatly increases.

It's good to see all 4 (+ the walkon?) getting snaps in the same system.

Yeah, I probably should have included that caveat.

I think 6-6 is rather bullish. Every year a slate of new coaches come in and some of them have a first year that's beyond expectations. If you're CFN you must be saying to yourself that Babers has a proven track record of quick turnarounds at two different schools. He says it'll take 1 1/2 seasons to get rolling, but his record says he does it much faster than that.

On the plus side, we've got some really, really smart QBs. That's huge when you're installing a new offense. Dungey already proved last year that he's a very quick study. Also, from following camp reports, receivers are saying they're learning how to catch a football for the first time in their lives. It appears the training regiment has resulted in some players arriving to camp in significantly better shape than they've ever been in. Babers really does seem to have a better strength and conditioning system.

Reasons for caution: SU is taking on what some regard as a top 10 difficulty schedule. They have multiple players learning two positions due to a lack of quality depth. Babers has said he hasn't got as many scholarship players as is possible. We simply aren't playing with a full deck. Not yet anyway.

I think 4 to 5 wins is more realistic, but I'd love to see us exceed expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom