Game Observations | Syracusefan.com

Game Observations

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Rutgers is long, athletic - more talented than SU at this point.

Numerous missed PI calls by referees - Rutgers was hanging all over the SU WRs all game - only one called.

Obviously young defense is getting better and more physical.

I have never seen a team - SU - make as many stupid mistakes in one game. Roughing kicker - PI on fourth down - bad interception that nearly lost game in regular time - dropped INT for TD. Ugh.

My heart wanted Marrone to go for it in OT, but my head realized that he had no choice but kick the FG.

Not thrilled with slant throw to Foster near goal line on 1st and goal.

Not happy that only one RB is being used - would like to see three or four used per game.

I wish Ryan had better/quicker feet. We get nothing when protection breaks down.

Not happy with KO return team - we give away field position on nearly every KO. Does Pat O'Neil have a son ready for college?

I disagreed with decision to play for the FG in the 4th quater - the one that was nearly returned for the tying TD. I thought that at that point - 3rd and ten - the offense should have played two downs to get a first down and try to maintain possession of the ball. I was concerned about a block and a miss and thought we could get 10 yards in two plays. Plus missing the first down would not have caused a real problem in terms of field position.

I was convinced that we were going to score a TD in the second OT - had no doubt about it. Still can't believe that Antwan fumbled the ball. The replay looked to me like the knee was down, but I guess I had a bad angle of the replay.

I am now firmly convinced that Schiano is an inept game-day football coach. So many bad decisions. Silly calls like the halfback option pass in the overcrowded red zone - replacing Dodd with a true frosh QB - calling TO while SU was trying to spike ball - repeatedly throwing hard-t0-complete "go routes" while controlling the ball on offense.

Rutgers was dead, dead, dead.

We brought this surprisingly talented but awful team back to life - multiple times!

This was a horrible loss.

Hopefully many, many lessons will be learned from this.

I disagreed with decision to play for the FG in the 4th quater - the one that as nearly returned for the tying TD. I thought that at that point - 3rd and ten - the offense should have played two downs to get a first down and try to maintain possession of the ball. I was concerned about a block and a miss and thought we could get 10 yards in two plays. Plus missing the first down would not have caused a real problem in terms of field position.

To me, this was the most obvious coaching blunder of the game. Rutgers blocks punts. We suck at ST. The field goals was a 40+ yarder (which increases the likelihood that it can be blocked). It was four down territory at that point. If we didn't get the first, the field position was fine. The block was the play that changed the game.

I basically agree with all, but on the 4th and a foot, I do think Marrone had an interesting choice. I wasn't so much upset because I think we should go for it on all 4th downs. I think it was more because I thought we had a better chance and getting a foot than we had at making the kick. If Rutgers had blocked that kick (yet again) and won in first overtime, it might have gone down as the worst coaching decision of all time.

I'm sure someone could say that it's easy to say that if a kick is blocked, but in this game in particular it was easier to predict than any other I've ever seen.

Luckily we got it through there. That unit probably needed that more than anything. I still don't get the blocking schemes, you have to watch on replay to truly appreciate how the plan seems to be block someone if they are in front of you. If not, just sit there in your crouch and do nothing while people split the gap next to you.

I basically agree with all, but on the 4th and a foot, I do think Marrone had an interesting choice. I wasn't so much upset because I think we should go for it on all 4th downs. I think it was more because I thought we had a better chance and getting a foot than we had at making the kick. If Rutgers had blocked that kick (yet again) and won in first overtime, it might have gone down as the worst coaching decision of all time.

I'm sure someone could say that it's easy to say that if a kick is blocked, but in this game in particular it was easier to predict than any other I've ever seen.

Luckily we got it through there. That unit probably needed that more than anything. I still don't get the blocking schemes, you have to watch on replay to truly appreciate how the plan seems to be block someone if they are in front of you. If not, just sit there in your crouch and do nothing while people split the gap next to you.

RU was playing for the fake there. They did not rush the kick and we got it off with ease. When RU had it 4th and 1, it looked like they were going to go for it but ran out of time. I wonder if they still had that TO, if they do go for it?

Rutgers is long, athletic - more talented than SU at this point.

Numerous missed PI calls by referees - Rutgers was hanging all over the SU WRs all game - only one called.

Obviously young defense is getting better and more physical.

I have never seen a team - SU - make as many stupid mistakes in one game. Roughing kicker - PI on fourth down - bad interception that nearly lost game in regular time - dropped INT for TD. Ugh.

My heart wanted Marrone to go for it in OT, but my head realized that he had no choice but kick the FG.

Not thrilled with slant throw to Foster near goal line on 1st and goal.

Not happy that only one RB is being used - would like to see three or four used per game.

I wish Ryan had better/quicker feet. We get nothing when protection breaks down.

Not happy with KO return team - we give away field position on nearly every KO. Does Pat O'Neil have a son ready for college?

I disagreed with decision to play for the FG in the 4th quater - the one that was nearly returned for the tying TD. I thought that at that point - 3rd and ten - the offense should have played two downs to get a first down and try to maintain possession of the ball. I was concerned about a block and a miss and thought we could get 10 yards in two plays. Plus missing the first down would not have caused a real problem in terms of field position.

I was convinced that we were going to score a TD in the second OT - had no doubt about it. Still can't believe that Antwan fumbled the ball. The replay looked to me like the knee was down, but I guess I had a bad angle of the replay.

I am now firmly convinced that Schiano is an inept game-day football coach. So many bad decisions. Silly calls like the halfback option pass in the overcrowded red zone - replacing Dodd with a true frosh QB - calling TO while SU was trying to spike ball - repeatedly throwing hard-t0-complete "go routes" while controlling the ball on offense.

Rutgers was dead, dead, dead.

We brought this surprisingly talented but awful team back to life - multiple times!

This was a horrible loss.

Hopefully many, many lessons will be learned from this.

Agree on KO return D. Part of a relatively mediocre special teams performance this year. Expected punting follies here and there but not the multiple missed XPs (err, I mean one), blocks seen yesterday, high snaps, etc.

Surprised as well that Bailey played the whole game sans three Smith carries. That said, the discrepancy in TOP meant Bailey could stay fresher longer unfortunately.

Foster call on 1st and Goal and all those GoSU96 posted earlier were WTFs across the board.

Finally, Rutgers was longer and more athletic the year we anhilated them and beat them last year. Our D spoke for itself, our OL was supposed to be a strength. Outside their secondary and WRs, the gap has closed tremendously and I don't out much stock on it since we beat them in Marrone's first two years.

Frustrating...but take care of Tulane plus heal up and reload for the final six weeks lets us control our bowl destiny immensely.