Game rewatch observations | Syracusefan.com

Game rewatch observations

mark79

Doughnut connoisseur
Had a chance to rewatch the game. Posted this in another thread, but here are some observations. Note: I am not an X’s and O’s guy, just an avid fan.

Line play
Ohio consistently had six and sometimes seven on the line and used great leverage and chipped effectively to get to our linebackers and open lanes for Tyus. Somehow our linebackers were not able to fill quickly enough. But a LOT has to be said for Tyus. He is a great, great runner. The kind of runner Clemson usually has.

Tough calls
I believe Chestnut had that interception as it looked like when he caught the ball initially, his right toe stayed inbounds as he possesses the ball and the heel never came down before his left foot was out of bounds. Not sure why we didn’t challenge this one. Also that running into the kicker penalty was pretty bogus as it was their own player that made contact not Syracuse.

Targeting noncall was extremely puzzling.

Not sure how the refs didn’t give that TD to Willis as he was clearly in at least Pena scored afterward.

That phantom holding call against Sabian Washington was a bad miss on their part near the end of the game. The defensive lineman had his hand up into the mask of Sabian for several seconds and that should have been called as it was hard to miss. That non-call prevented the score from being more reflective of the game. It would have been 45-22.

Game management
Great use of timeouts before the half.
Goal line defensive really stepped up.
Perhaps it is because our linebackers stacked up in the gaps close behind our lineman and were much quicker to get to the los.

Also, at the end of the first half, our quick stuff to Gadsden, Pena, Haynes, Meeks and LA was extremely effective. Maybe it should be a focus all the time as it is so hard to stop with that many to throw too and that good a QB in McCord. Throw in a double move here and there to keep them honest.

McCord
The quick stuff keeps Mccords feet under him where he is much more effective than on the move. I doubt there are too many passers in the ACC better than him in the pocket. We are going to need to shelve those planned keepers as that is just not his game. Maybe we should find a few plays to sneak in our other mobile quarterbacks. Gotta bet that is under wraps.

Meeks
What a catch. And he is an intense gamer. Meeks will be really really hard to keep off the field. Hatcher didn’t play all that well as he had one he should have had and didn’t fight to break up an interception. Meeks is gonna get some of his time.

Their TD just before the half
On that big run just before the half, the Ohio lineman just collapsed the right side of our line, Fadil did not get off his block, and there was effective chipping and some holding of our linebackers. Throw in also some bad tackling on our part. But again, Tyus is just an extraordinary runner and hats off to him. Also, the Ohio offensive line is exceptionally well coached.

Running backs
LA had 99 yards with smoke and mirrors. It never seemed like he got going but he had a few good ones and some excellent catches. Our number two running back Nixon had a pretty good game as number 2. Willis looked like he belonged and should have had that touchdown.

Marlowe
Marlowe Wax’s injury may be an ankle sprain in watching the replay. Looks like he got stepped on. Hope I’m right and that it’s not an Achilles.

Their last TD
At 38-16 I thought we had put it away.
We were getting more line push into their backfield. On their last TD with 12 minutes left, Diggs tried to keep the edge but didn’t anticipate the pitch and was not mobile enough to stay with Tyus who ran right by him. Sparrow was there but couldn’t get off the blockbecause he was held.

The field judge was not looking in that direction and the other refs just didn’t call it. Also their WR did a great job of blocking and Tyus ran right by him for the TD.

Summary
All in all I came away extremely impressed on offense with our skilled positions. Some work to do on offensive line in order for running game to improve. Our offensive lineman need some footwork drills. OC Nixon had a great game. Love the abundant use of Gadsden, Pena, Haynes and the other WRs. Several of our freshman also played well including Willis and Barnes and Watson. Probably forgetting others.

On defense I believe we improved a lot in the second half. I think we are going to need to get up closer to the line with our linebackers in order to better stuff holes as we were too easy to chip and knock off our gaps. Not sure how to improve on that. Someone better at X’s and O’s please help. Tackling needs improving. Number 66 Atkinson gave us trouble all game long chipping and then getting to the secondary level.

To beat GT next week we are going to need to improve our line and linebacker play and get our running game going.

Last edited:
Had a chance to rewatch the game. Posted this in another thread, but here are some observations as I rewatched the game today. Note: I am not an X’s and O’s guy, just an avid fan with minimal insights.

Line play
Ohio consistently had six and sometimes seven on the line and used great leverage and chipped effectively to get to our linebackers and open lanes for Tyus. Somehow our linebackers were not able to fill quickly enough. But a LOT has to be said for Tyus. He is a great, great runner. The kind of runner Clemson usually has.

Tough calls
I believe Chestnut had that interception as it looked like when he caught the ball initially, his right toe stayed inbounds as he possesses the ball and the heel never came down before his left foot was out of bounds. Not sure why we didn’t challenge this one. Also that running into the kicker penalty was pretty bogus as it was their own player that made contact not Syracuse.

Not sure how the refs didn’t give that TD to Willis as he was clearly in at least Pena scored afterward.

Game management
Perhaps it is because our linebackers stacked up in the gaps close behind our lineman and were much quicker to get to the los.

Also, at the end of the first half, our quick stuff to Gadsden, Pena, Haynes, Meeks and LA was extremely effective. Maybe it should be a focus all the time as it is so hard to stop with that many to throw too and that good a QB in McCord. Throw in a double move here and there to keep them honest.

McCord
The quick stuff keeps Mccords feet under him where he is much more effective than on the move. I doubt there are too many passers in the ACC better than him in the pocket. We are going to need to shelve those planned keepers as that is just not his game. Maybe we should find a few plays to sneak in our other mobile quarterbacks. Gotta bet that is under wraps.

Meeks
What a catch. And he is an intense gamer. Meeks will be really really hard to keep off the field. Hatcher didn’t play all that well as he had one he should have had and didn’t fight to break up an interception. Meeks is gonna get some of his time.

On that big run just before the half, the Ohio lineman just collapsed the right side of our line, Fadil did not get off his block, and there was effective chipping and some holding of our linebackers. Throw in also some bad tackling on our part. But also, again, number 2 Tyus is just an extraordinary runner and hats off to them, the Ohio offensive line is exceptionally well coached.

Running backs
LA had 99 yards with smoke and mirrors. It never seemed like he got going but he had a few good ones and some excellent catches. Our number two running back Nixon had a pretty good game as number 2. Willis looked like he belonged and should have had that touchdown.

Marlowe
Marlowe Wax’s injury may be an ankle sprain in watching the replay. Looks like he got stepped on. Hope I’m right and that it’s not an Achilles.

Their last TD
We were getting more line push into their backfield. On their last TD with 12 minutes left, Diggs tried to keep the edge but didn’t anticipate the pitch and was not mobile enough to stay with Tyus who ran right by him. Sparrow was there but couldn’t get off the blockbecause he was held.

The field judge was not looking in that direction and the other refs just didn’t call it. Also their WR did a great job of blocking and Tyus ran right by him for the TD.

Summary
All in all I came away extremely impressed on offense with our skilled positions. Some work to do on offensive line in order for running game to improve. Our offensive lineman need some footwork drills. OC Nixon had a great game. Love the abundant use of Gadsden, Pena, Haynes and the other WRs. Several of our freshman also played well including Willis and Barnes and Watson. Probably forgetting others.

On defense I believe we improved a lot in the second half. I think we are going to need to get up closer to the line with our linebackers in order to better stuff holes as we were too easy to chip and knock off our gaps. Not sure how to improve on that. Someone better at X’s and O’s please help. Tackling needs improving. Number 66 Atkinson gave us trouble all game long chipping and then getting to the secondary level.

To beat GT next week we are going to need to improve our line and linebacker play and get our running game going.
Tyus will play on Sundays.
One 5 yard penalty on Ohio is really something.

Tyus will play on Sundays.
One 5 yard penalty on Ohio is really something.
Absolutely he will. People who think there was no disparity in calls are wrong. I’m not one to say it was intentional, but still. There were some blatant misses. Maybe Fran has to earn the calls as a new head coach I don’t know. If so, it shouldn’t be that way.

From my fortress in Colorado, I was mostly pleased with the outcome, and very pleased with some performances. McCord, Gadsden, Peña, and Allen all had good outings. The offense showed glimpses of things to come. Have we ever had a passer as skilled as McCord? Gadsden is a tough guy. Their best tackler was dazed by a hit from Gadsden. Peña Had a career day with 3 tds and great catches.

The defense has work to do, but special teams were good, good time management led to a touchdown, and we’re going to score points. There was much to like. I’m hoping we’re as good by the end of the season as we all visualize. Georgia Tech will be a good test. LGO!!

Had a chance to rewatch the game. Posted this in another thread, but here are some observations. Note: I am not an X’s and O’s guy, just an avid fan.

Line play

Tough calls

That phantom holding call against Sabian Washington was a bad miss on their part near the end of the game. The defensive lineman had his hand up into the mask of Sabian for several seconds and that should have been called as it was hard to miss. That non-call prevented the score from being more reflective of the game. It would have been 45-22.

Game management

McCord

Meeks

On that big run just before the half, the Ohio lineman just collapsed the right side of our line, Fadil did not get off his block, and there was effective chipping and some holding of our linebackers. Throw in also some bad tackling on our part. But again, Tyus is just an extraordinary runner and hats off to him. Also, the Ohio offensive line is exceptionally well coached.

Running backs

Marlowe

Their last TD

Summary

Great recap, Mark. I really like a LOT of what I saw yesterday but really concerned with our defense, particularly d-line. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think some of what we saw is going to be corrected 1 week later.

Watching this on my TV down in Florida, the dome looked great! Seemed like a good turn out and the lighting and everything else looked terrific!

Line play

Tough calls

Game management

McCord

Meeks

Running backs

Marlowe

Their last TD

Summary

Good observations.

Seemed Ohio always got a hand on LA early, to slow him down or trip him up. Awesome that he finished w 100.

Refs were awful. Hopefully we never see a crew like that again. Thought Ohio was holding constantly.

LQA's impact in the receiving game was extremely important in helping open things up for other players. Even if the running wasn't what people expected. He also had a 1 handed catch for a TD. Like OG, he's a player the other team has to account for on every offensive play.

the play design left him wide open as a RB. thats good to see.
Ohio was rolling coverage to OG and leaving Pena/LA with man stuff that was pitch and catch.

We need to take advantage of that stuff and then on occasion hope we hit the home run throws when teams make coverage mistakes

Good observations.

Seemed Ohio always got a hand on LA early, to slow him down or trip him up. Awesome that he finished w 100.

Refs were awful. Hopefully we never see a crew like that again. Thought Ohio was holding constantly.
Yeah, they were really bad. I rarely talk about the refs after a game. I just don't want to go there. However, yesterday's game was attrocious. The one that was incredibly poor was the non-targeting call that they reviewed! How do you look at that and not call targeting.

There are 3 things you need to be consistently a good college football program.
1. QB - Check
2. OL - lot of work to do
3. DL - Loved Watson. Need to improve, but feels like we have more pieces.

1. QB - Check
That's why today I'm more worried about our season than I did going into the game. As good as McCord is, he's not going to be effective without a clean pocket. When he's rushed, he's not nearly the same QB because him on the move, ain't his thing. I'm thrilled to have McCord, but a bit concerned that he will be able to cook against stiffer competition because of the OL.

Line play

Tough calls

Game management

McCord

Meeks

Running backs

Marlowe

Their last TD

Summary

Really good stuff.

That's why today I'm more worried about our season than I did going into the game. As good as McCord is, he's not going to be effective without a clean pocket. When he's rushed, he's not nearly the same QB because him on the move, ain't his thing. I'm thrilled to have McCord, but a bit concerned that he will be able to cook against stiffer competition because of the OL.
This is an every year issue for us. But the difference is that instead of starting 3 rungs up on the ladder of a 10 rung ladder we’re starting 6 rungs up with McCord vs the past qbs.

And if the ladder represents the OL then the ladder is improved from 1950’s wood to solid modern day aluminum. In other words get ready (if he stays healthy), for a staggeringly good year.

Last edited:
1. QB - Check
2. We will have a much better idea after Saturday . I didn’t think they looked bad. PFF grades were all average to above average. I always feel Oline play and tackling improve the most between week 1. & 2. Need that to be true if they want to compete with GT.

Last edited:
2. We will have a much better idea after Sunday. I didn’t think they looked bad. PFF grades were all average to above average. I always feel Oline play and tackling improve the most between week 1. & 2. Need that to be true if they want to compete with GT.
So say you throw 40 times, what gets you an average PFF blocking score?

If everyone misses 2 blocks a game thats 38/40 is that good?

That also means 25% of the throws the QB gets clocked is that good?

I haven't watched replay yet. But just random videos of plays I see lots of not very clean pockets.

One thing others may have noticed on place-kicking attempts (FG and XP) was that several of Callahan's snaps were high. The holder (Stonehouse ?) had to quickly react and reach higher than his head for the ball, but to his credit, he managed to get the ball down. However, the disrupted timing may have contributed to Denaburg shanking one of the XP attempts, which thankfully doinked off the upright and and went through. This is something the special teams needs to clean-up, or it could cost us down the road in a critical situation.

So say you throw 40 times, what gets you an average PFF blocking score?

If everyone misses 2 blocks a game thats 38/40 is that good?

That also means 25% of the throws the QB gets clocked is that good?

I haven't watched replay yet. But just random videos of plays I see lots of not very clean pockets.
He had 43 drop backs and one sack.

He had 43 drop backs and one sack.
There were only a few drop backs where Ohio got real pressure. And McCord turned into pressure on a couple of those, which is on him.

I don't think the OL was dominant but they were fine. Average line play would be better than nearly every SU OL of the past 20+ years.

There were only a few drop backs where Ohio got real pressure. And McCord turned into pressure on a couple of those, which is on him.

I don't think the OL was dominant but they were fine. Average line play would be better than nearly every SU OL of the past 20+ years.
If they stay healthy it’s easily the best line since 2018.

A lot of good stuff- some things/ notes that really stood out for me.

1- Ohio was well coached, physical and had good team speed. They played with an edge about them on both sides that was not something you see from a team coming in for a paycheck. They had a gameplan and that seemed to be focused on challenging our new staff with many different looks. I don’t know if they win 6 plus games or have a down year but it sure felt more like a bowl quality MAC team even with so many new pieces.

2- I won’t re hash the third down stats and tfls but the defense made a lot of plays that ensured control of the game despite not getting but one call of the many uncalled infractions Ohio got away with that should have put them in early down holes.

- first drive a 5 yd tfl to force a fg in the red zone

- second drive two tfls and a sack after Ohio got first and goal to force a second fg

-third drive stiffened up despite a bogus roughing the kicker penalty ( just an awful call) to shut them down twice and give the ball back after we took the lead.

-fourth drive once again made plays defending inside our 10 yard line to force another fg. Red zone defending was really good.

-7th drive after we went up 24-16, we did a good job baiting them into going through the air, as did the fact it was clear their defense wasn’t going to be able to shut down our passing attack. Forced a 3 and out

- 8th drive another really good stand / 3 and out to hand the ball back to McCord who then put the nail in the coffin for the most part going up 38-16

- 10th drive got great pressure up the gut to get the pick. Even with Ohio driving there was not a sense of concern.

- besides the safety play that’s been discussed at length- re watching it’s very noticeable that our DTs got a lot of penetration but were not shedding blocks to go after the ball. Hopefully correctable all the way around. Clean up the issues that will be obvious on film and hopefully things improve a lot on that side.

3 - So much to like on offense and with that the game plan seemed pretty basic- only saw a few wrinkles here and there and some nice plays made by Kyle and a number of wideouts. I’m curious to see how often this WR core can win 1 v 1 as the competition level steps up.

4- After a re watch I felt a lot better despite the many areas that need to be cleaned up. I think this was a much better game to start the year with vs a bottom feeder FBS program or FCS program. Excited to see how this staff adjusts both personnel wise and tactically. Sure hope Marlowes season isn’t over- the impact there very much a concern and a big tbd.

Line play

Tough calls

Game management

McCord

Meeks

Running backs

Marlowe

Their last TD

Summary

I just didnt see Mcdonald fighting off blocks at all. If your gonna take on man up u gotta strike the sht outta that guy coming at u and he didnt do that much at all. He might wanna dipdown and rip bye the olinemen like michigan st used too with their backers.

Line play

Tough calls

Game management

McCord

Meeks

Running backs

Marlowe

Their last TD

Summary

The targeting non call was terrible. It couldn’t be any clearer and they freaking stopped the game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom