Games like today are reasons why we need to not schedule P5 teams the first 2 weeks of the season if possible | Syracusefan.com

Games like today are reasons why we need to not schedule P5 teams the first 2 weeks of the season if possible

Alsacs

Living Legend
Momentum is huge in college football.
If we played Western Michigan before Maryland then the Maryland game wouldn’t have been as big a shock.
When our D got exploited.

Watching the game from the stands our team has talent on defense but the scheme is just awful for the talent right now.
I really hope Ward adjusts the scheme for the rest of the year.

Also hopefully the rumor we are going to start next year at Clemson is false. We need cream puffs weeks 1 and 2.

If we played Western Michigan before Maryland then the Maryland game wouldn’t have been as big a shock.

Watching the game from the stands our team has talent on defense but the scheme is just awful for the talent right now.

Also hopefully the rumor we are going to start next year at Clemson is false. We need cream puffs weeks 1 and 2.
acc network requirement will force some conference games to be earlier in the season but in the games we can control when breaking in a new qb and offensive line we should schedule accordingly

We certainly don't need Western Michigan or CMU to start the year either. I have hated those series despite to W-L record against them. Throw in Middle Tennessee State as another "Do-Not-Schedule."

western michigan is staying on the schedule we just added more games vs them

What is it about the scheme you find awful, and what kind of change do you have in mind?
We are giving WRs a free release and 5-8 yard cushions for the DBs.
We are playing a soft Tampa 2 which basically is our DC saying the opposing QB won’t be patient and can’t throw in the middle we it’s soft.

Our opponents thus far have exploited the hole in the middle and we are getting killed on RPOs.

We don’t need to play Tampa 2 right now. It’s what you play when you lack speed. If our defense is slow then it won’t change but I don’t think we are that slow.

well we def don’t start at Western Michigan next season. That game is Sept 29th.

It will be a road game to start the season and it will be an ACC game. Let’s all pray it’s not Clemson

western michigan is staying on the schedule we just added more games vs them
Just because we scheduled them don’t make them smart.
Teams like Buffalo, UMass, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte are better opponents.
They are all closer or in better recruiting grounds and won’t have the talent Western does.
We don’t gain anything from playing Western even though we signed 2 more games with them.

well we def don’t start at Western Michigan next season. That game is Sept 29th.

It will be a road game to start the season and it will be an ACC game. Let’s all pray it’s not Clemson

Someone on here already did their homework and had said that the only possible opponent based on the 8 ACC teams we draw next year is Clemson. At least we get it over with

Just because we scheduled them don’t make them smart.
Teams like Buffalo, UMass, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte are better opponents.
They are all closer or in better recruiting grounds and won’t have the talent Western does.
We don’t gain anything from playing Western even though we signed 2 more games with them.
Disagree here. Western is a team with talent that will push us, but we should win every time. Those are the games you get better. We don’t get better winning 60-0. It’s not Clemson or Howard. We need middle of the road opponents where we will win 9/10 and still be able to gain insight about the team.

Disagree here. Western is a team with talent that will push us, but we should win every time. Those are the games you get better. We don’t get better winning 60-0. It’s not Clemson or Howard. We need middle of the road opponents where we will win 9/10 and still be able to gain insight about the team.
If they push us they could beat us.
It’s a no-win situation. You don’t get credit for them beating like you would a Boise or UCF.
They are dangerous and that is why they are a bad opponent for a team like us.
If we have top 25 talent every year go ahead we will beat them every time.
However if we don’t play well we will lose whereas if we play UMass and Couscuse won’t like this they are a tomato can we can play a C game and beat easily.
If we play a C game against Western we lose.

Playing Clemson first you could catch them sleeping as well idk

If they push us they could beat us.
It’s a no-win situation. You don’t get credit for them beating like you would a Boise or UCF.
They are dangerous and that is why they are a bad opponent for a team like us.
If we have top 25 talent every year go ahead we will beat them every time.
However if we don’t play well we will lose whereas if we play UMass and Couscuse won’t like they are a tomato can we can play a C game and beat easily.
If we play a C game against Western we lose.
You can’t be afraid to schedule a Western Michigan. Id rather see a good game against a solid MAC team than a blowout against an FCS. I don’t think we benefit anything from those games. If it happens we lose one, so be it. Western is a solid team. It’s a game we should win, but we aren’t a consistent program yet and we have to roll with the punches until we get there. By the way, I think we will get there.

For a team transitioning to a new QB/OL, it's pretty crazy that two of our opening games were on the road and then facing the #1 team in the country at home

Clemson has won 19 games in a row. Literally no one catches Clemson sleeping, I don’t care if we played them in April.
Yea I’m just thinking aloud. If your chance of winning goes from 1% to 2% you take it.

I think WMU is losing alot. Isn't Eskridge and their QB and maybe even their main RB all seniors?

I think WMU is losing alot. Isn't Eskridge and their QB and maybe even their main RB all seniors?
Eskridge his back next year for red shirt season since he's done for the year this year

Someone on here already did their homework and had said that the only possible opponent based on the 8 ACC teams we draw next year is Clemson. At least we get it over with

I 100% believe you, but would love to see the work that went into it if you have a link for this.

We are giving WRs a free release and 5-8 yard cushions for the DBs.
We are playing a soft Tampa 2 which basically is our DC saying the opposing QB won’t be patient and can’t throw in the middle we it’s soft.

Our opponents thus far have exploited the hole in the middle and we are getting killed on RPOs.

We don’t need to play Tampa 2 right now. It’s what you play when you lack speed. If our defense is slow then it won’t change but I don’t think we are that slow.

That is what you saw today? If we actually played that way I think we win easier than we did.

Playing Clemson first you could catch them sleeping as well idk
I agree. I feel like it would either be a beating or shocker. Opening in Death Valley, though...

With Devito and the oline and receivers and lbs having a year of experience, I say bring it on. Big concern Is we lose or stud DE.

We need to start recruiting some game breakers on o or start developing these receivers a bit better

First two games next year are on the road.

I’m 98% certain we’re opening at Clemson on 9/5/2020