Games like today are reasons why we need to not schedule P5 teams the first 2 weeks of the season if possible | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Games like today are reasons why we need to not schedule P5 teams the first 2 weeks of the season if possible

acc network requirement will force some conference games to be earlier in the season but in the games we can control when breaking in a new qb and offensive line we should schedule accordingly
well we def don’t start at Western Michigan next season. That game is Sept 29th.

It will be a road game to start the season and it will be an ACC game. Let’s all pray it’s not Clemson
Someone on here already did their homework and had said that the only possible opponent based on the 8 ACC teams we draw next year is Clemson. At least we get it over with
I'm not 100% sold on there being early-season conference games next year. I think it was a one-off this year to pump up the ACC Network.

I'm not 100% sold on there being early-season conference games next year. I think it was a one-off this year to pump up the ACC Network.

Well, I doubt we are going to have a bye the first week of college football and all 4 of our non conference games are already scheduled and none of them are for the first weekend next season...

Well, I doubt we are going to have a bye the first week of college football and all 4 of our non conference games are already scheduled and none of them are for the first weekend next season...
yep its @ Clemson or @ western Michigan ( they play colgate on 9/5 so can probably be switched )

We
Pittsburgh could move its opener against Miami Ohio to week 4 where both have openings right now and we could open the year at Pitt.

There are other type of these solutions with a little research.

Holy Cross could move it’s game at BC to October 31st and we could open at Boston College.

We could ask Rutgers to flip us and Monmouth.
Monmouth could play at Albany on September 5 instead of 12 who doesn’t have a game scheduled now.

I really hope our AD isn’t lazy and does try to help the team.
Opening at Clemson is so dumb. Clemson will be at its healthiest and spend the summer prepared for our team and want to make a statement.

Georgia Tech needs a conference game on week 1 as well hopefully Clemson goes there week 1.

We certainly don't need Western Michigan or CMU to start the year either. I have hated those series despite to W-L record against them. Throw in Middle Tennessee State as another "Do-Not-Schedule."

Middle Tennessee State is dangerous. Southern schools are dangerous in the first few games. They will overplay, giving 150%.

Ideally I will schedule

Week 1 Northeastern FCS school like Rhode Island or Maine.
Week 2 MAC school (except Buffalo, They are trying to dethrone us. Will give 150%. We should never schedule Buffalo.)
Week 3 UConn or Liberty.

Alsacs What about our AD’s performance the past 2 years makes you think he is “lazy”?

I really don’t understand why people assume bad faith.
I am not in love with the AD like I am Dino.
The best thing Wildhack has done is resign Dino last year. Coyle hired Babers.

I don’t think he is bad but I think the love he gets is people on here personally love the guy.

I hated signing another 2 game series with Western Michigan. We will play them more these 4 years in a row than we will any Coastal team except Pitt.
That sucks. I would played a nonconference game against an ACC team before another 2 games with Western.

I think the Dome project took forever and we hemmed and it took forever for stuff we ended up doing and that stuff was rumored back to 2014. The stuff we did was a reason people wanted to give Shafer another season as HC.

I don’t think this AD has been an A+ in job performance. He has done a B job but because people like him has been spun as a A.

So while I am happy with the AD I don’t have confidence they will try and get our schedule moved around. I think it’s more likely not than we open at Clemson.

The best think Wildhack has done is resign Dino last year.
I don’t think he is bad but I think the love he gets is people personally love the guy.

I hated signing another 2 game series with Western Michigan. We will play them more these 4 years in a row than we will any Coastal team except Pitt.
That sucks. I would played a nonconference game against an ACC team before another 2 games with Western.

I think the Dome project took forever and we hemmed and it took forever for stuff we ended up doing and that stuff was rumored back to 2014. The stuff we did was a reason people wanted to give Shafer another season as HC.

I don’t think this AD has been an A+ in job performance. He has done a B job but because people like him has been spun as a A.

So while I am happy with the AD I don’t have confidence they will try and get our schedule moved around. I think it’s more likely not than we open at Clemson.

Needless to say, you’re entitled to that opinion. I would caution you though, that scheduling is complex and has a lot of inputs. SU can’t just impose its will. I mean, I’m pretty sure JAB isn’t thrilled to open with UVA this season, but competing factors played a role.

There's only 1 bye week next year. It's a 7-year cycle and this year is year 7, so everyone gets 2 byes. There will be only 1 for the next 6 years. It's some sort of calculation of how many weekends there are between Labor Day and Dec 1 (or so).

I don’t think he is bad but I think the love he gets is people on here personally love the guy.

Alsacs, I know you won’t rest until SU is allowed to reevaluate and change its schedule week by week. At some point, don’t we have to play them and other challenging games too? You seem against that.

And no, I don’t know our AD, but I hope he is full of regret for not hiring Dino at SU during his days at ESPN. Maybe then, you’d value him.

Alsacs, I know you won’t rest until SU is allowed to reevaluate and change its schedule week by week. At some point, don’t we have to play them and other challenging games too? You seem against that.

And no, I don’t know our AD, but I hope he is full of regret for not hiring Dino at SU during his days at ESPN. Maybe then, you’d value him.
Thanks for the post. Nothing you said here I need to respond to have a good day!!!

Needless to say, you’re entitled to that opinion. I would caution you though, that scheduling is complex and has a lot of inputs. SU can’t just impose its will. I mean, I’m pretty sure JAB isn’t thrilled to open with UVA this season, but competing factors played a role.

Which is why it is better to be ahead of the curve in getting teams in the future schedule. Yet somehow we continue to be well well well behind. I don’t blame Wildhack for this, but it something he needs to get on top of soon.

Despite what some may think (not you Alsacs) we are beating WMU 19 out of 20 times.

Despite what some may think (not you Alsacs) we are beating WMU 19 out of 20 times.

What is the purpose of playing an OOC G5 team? Why even risk the one in 20 loss if you can play a team like Akron instead which is: easier travel for your fan base, in an area or not far from areas we should be recruiting, less likely to lose and more likely to allow you to pull your starters to keep them healthy and allows PT for your young guys? I don’t see any logic in playing a team like WMU.

What is the purpose of playing an OOC G5 team? Why even risk the one in 20 loss if you can play a team like Akron instead which is: easier travel for your fan base, in an area or not far from areas we should be recruiting, less likely to lose and more likely to allow you to pull your starters to keep them healthy and allows PT for your young guys? I don’t see any logic in playing a team like WMU.
Western is a good mid major. You don’t want to play good mid majors.
Avoid teams like Western play chitty mid majors. We aren’t likely going to lose to Western but it’s not a team we can cost.
Hell playing UConn under Edsall makes sense. That team is a FCS team talent wise compared to Western Michigan.

We were 5 point favorites. I this kinda high.

Ehh if this game was week 1 we would have been 10 + point favorites. A lot goes into that number "5". After the last 2 weeks Syracuse wasn't going to be seen in a good light by bettors, which leads to a lower spread.

On good years MAC schools like WMU can have competent offensives, but on the defensive side of the ball these schools just don't have the talent to keep offenses like ours in check. We struggled mightily the first 3 weeks , but hung 52 on them with probably a B- effort. Even when they got us at home last year our offense shredded them. Just look how MAC defenses perform every time they go up against a P5 offense. It's usually really really poor.

Ehh if this game was week 1 we would have been 10 + point favorites. A lot goes into that number "5". After the last 2 weeks Syracuse wasn't going to be seen in a good light by bettors, which leads to a lower spread.

On good years MAC schools like WMU can have competent offensives, but on the defensive side of the ball these schools just don't have the talent to keep offenses like ours in check. We struggled mightily the first 3 weeks , but hung 52 on them with probably a B- effort. Even when they got us at home last year our offense shredded them. Just look how MAC defenses perform every time they go up against a P5 offense. It's usually really really poor.
I get what you are saying and it’s right.
I just don’t want to play good MAC teams I prefer crappy ones.

$$$$ drives what and when we could/can do things, not hemming and hawing.

I was being generous giving them the 1. Unless it's the 2015 WMU team, and If we play at home, i don't see us losing with the current coaching staff.

I was being generous giving them the 1. Unless it's the 2015 WMU team, and If we play at home, i don't see us losing with the current coaching staff.

This staff lost at home to a G5 that ended 100th in the Sagarin that year. That was a fluke but the idea of losing to a top 75 team at home isn't flukey. Having to keep your starters in risking injury for an entire 4 Qs is likely even if you win 95% of the games. Even if we beat WMU these next two games, chances are we won’t blow them out.

I get what you are saying and it’s right.
I just don’t want to play good MAC teams I prefer crappy ones.

Our OOC games primary goals should be getting a W and staying healthy. Secondary goals should be easy travel for fans, alumni, player and potential player families. So how does WMU satisfy any of that.

Our OOC scheduling has had no strategy for years. The AD should be addressing this along with not having future games done last minute when no good options are left.

The strategy for these games are wins. The AD clearly thinks WMU isn't a problem. End of the day we've gone over 100 in our last two games against them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom