Games like today are reasons why we need to not schedule P5 teams the first 2 weeks of the season if possible | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Games like today are reasons why we need to not schedule P5 teams the first 2 weeks of the season if possible

Western is a good mid major. You don’t want to play good mid majors.
Avoid teams like Western play chitty mid majors. We aren’t likely going to lose to Western but it’s not a team we can cost.
Hell playing UConn under Edsall makes sense. That team is a FCS team talent wise compared to Western Michigan.
if you were to look back, I don't think anyone was thinking that western Michigan in year four of the babers experiment was a game to worry about.

There's only 1 bye week next year. It's a 7-year cycle and this year is year 7, so everyone gets 2 byes. There will be only 1 for the next 6 years. It's some sort of calculation of how many weekends there are between Labor Day and Dec 1 (or so).
Did not know that. I learned something new today. :cool:

I am not in love with the AD like I am Dino.
The best thing Wildhack has done is resign Dino last year. Coyle hired Babers.

I don’t think he is bad but I think the love he gets is people on here personally love the guy.

I hated signing another 2 game series with Western Michigan. We will play them more these 4 years in a row than we will any Coastal team except Pitt.
That sucks. I would played a nonconference game against an ACC team before another 2 games with Western.

I think the Dome project took forever and we hemmed and it took forever for stuff we ended up doing and that stuff was rumored back to 2014. The stuff we did was a reason people wanted to give Shafer another season as HC.

I don’t think this AD has been an A+ in job performance. He has done a B job but because people like him has been spun as a A.

So while I am happy with the AD I don’t have confidence they will try and get our schedule moved around. I think it’s more likely not than we open at Clemson.

He just roped in a $25M gift, renewed our Nike deal on better terms with uniforms we actually like, and the work has finally begun on the Dome, plus Dino got an extension. I think "B" is a bit harsh.

He just roped in a $25M gift, renewed our Nike deal on better terms with uniforms we actually like, and the work has finally begun on the Dome, plus Dino got an extension. I think "B" is a bit harsh.
The Nike deal was not a great deal. We never let the contract lapse and tried to get a big offer from another retailer. We took a short term deal. Wildhack himself said they took a short term deal because they didn't get the offer they felt was worthy of a long term commitment.

The Dome stuff was rumored back in 2014 and pre-dates this AD we knew it was coming.
I gave him credit for the Dino extension. That was the best thing he did IMO.

The 25 million gift from Lallys is all about them. Even Wildhack would say that. I am sure the guy did some good schmoozing but the Lallys John and Linda are ones that get the credit for that gift.

B isn't harsh. It's acknowledging that he is above average but not perfect. I don't think he has handled the basketball program well and the massive transition that is upcoming. I get giving JB an extension when Hopkins left but the program hasn't been smooth during his tenure. Football under Dino we have direction.

So we need to schedule teams very far in advance... and know precisely the difference between a mediocre G5 team and a truly lousy G5 teams... very far in advance?

Not hard. Sure there is a chance Akron can be good but based on history WMU will be better. Simple stuff for those with brains.

The Nike deal was not a great deal. We never let the contract lapse and tried to get a big offer from another retailer. We took a short term deal. Wildhack himself said they took a short term deal because they didn't get the offer they felt was worthy of a long term commitment.

The Dome stuff was rumored back in 2014 and pre-dates this AD we knew it was coming.
I gave him credit for the Dino extension. That was the best thing he did IMO.

The 25 million gift from Lallys is all about them. Even Wildhack would say that. I am sure the guy did some good schmoozing but the Lallys John and Linda are ones that get the credit for that gift.

B isn't harsh. It's acknowledging that he is above average but not perfect. I don't think he has handled the basketball program well and the massive transition that is upcoming. I get giving JB an extension when Hopkins left but the program hasn't been smooth during his tenure. Football under Dino we have direction.

There wasn't a better deal to be had than Nike.

If you think someone would entrust 25 million to say, Daryl Gross, then I don't know what to tell you.

There wasn't a better deal to be had than Nike.

If you think someone would entrust 25 million to say, Daryl Gross, then I don't know what to tell you.
I understand we weren't leaving Nike. Nobody but the people in the AD know how we conducted the negotiations.
Thus nobody can say if it was a good or bad job. I don't think we can say he did a good job with the Nike contract because we don't know if we used all the leverage could because our highest profile employee JB is a Nike guy and does make some nice revenue from them. Nike knew we didn't want to leave. I am sure JW handled it okay but I am not putting this deal in the W column. Hence I give him a good grade of a B. Not average and not perfect in between.

Lally's donation I am not speculating on. Again Dr. Gross was the AD when Cliff Ensley made a huge donation for the IPF. I am not saying that donation was because of Dr. Gross just like we have no clue how much Wildhack has to do with Lally's.
Why would somebody donate 10 million to Dr. Gross for a specific project but not 25? The AD spending out of control was from the AD general fund.

I understand we weren't leaving Nike. Nobody but the people in the AD know how we conducted the negotiations.
Thus nobody can say if it was a good or bad job. I don't think we can say he did a good job with the Nike contract because we don't know if we used all the leverage could because our highest profile employee JB is a Nike guy and does make some nice revenue from them. Nike knew we didn't want to leave. I am sure JW handled it okay but I am not putting this deal in the W column. Hence I give him a good grade of a B. Not average and not perfect in between.

Lally's donation I am not speculating on. Again Dr. Gross was the AD when Cliff Ensley made a huge donation for the IPF. I am not saying that donation was because of Dr. Gross just like we have no clue how much Wildhack has to do with Lally's.
Why would somebody donate 10 million to Dr. Gross for a specific project but not 25? The AD spending out of control was from the AD general fund.

You have no idea what you're talking about in regards to JW. He is the best AD we've had since Jake. Is there a higher grade than A+?

You have no idea what you're talking about in regards to JW. He is the best AD we've had since Jake. Is there a higher grade than A+?
Your opinion is your opinion. What you said is exactly the stuff I am talking about.
You cited absolutely nothing new for why JW has been better than a A+.
I give Bayside credit he cited specific examples.

I mean a B performance is freaking good. I am not killing the guy. I don’t think he has done an A job.
Our football scheduling is still a mess
Thank goodness we have 2021 done finally.
We don’t have 2 games scheduled for 2022.
We have openings every year after.
This causes us to have to make 1-1 deals with Ohio and Western Michigan.

I give JW credit for scheduling the Army series down the road but it’s still a distance away.
He hasn’t been an A+. You clearly like the guy and when people like a person just like I do in my life I give them the benefit of the doubt.
He has done a fine job but I call a spade a spade. We are lucky to have the guy as the AD but I am not going to smoke up his you know what.

That's not completely true - people at UA and adidas know what they were able to do and enough actually made it's way here. The sneaker bubble burst by the time it came around to us.

Building the IPF just to get to par (Gross wasn't on great footing by then) is different than this deal.

Momentum is huge in college football.
If we played Western Michigan before Maryland then the Maryland game wouldn’t have been as big a shock.
When our D got exploited.

Watching the game from the stands our team has talent on defense but the scheme is just awful for the talent right now.
I really hope Ward adjusts the scheme for the rest of the year.

Also hopefully the rumor we are going to start next year at Clemson is false. We need cream puffs weeks 1 and 2.
Using the traditional Georgetown basketball scheduling scheme? With a young and inexperienced team, it helps to build confidence. With an experienced and deep team, you build strength, in your depth, by challenging yourself with a tougher opening few games. We are not the deep experienced team, at this point.

Using the traditional Georgetown basketball scheduling scheme? With a young and inexperienced team, it helps to build confidence. With an experienced and deep team, you build strength, in your depth, by challenging yourself with a tougher opening few games. We are not the deep experienced team, at this point.
Does that mean you guys are going to start playing St. Leo's? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom