Gardner had 0 fouls | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gardner had 0 fouls

Seriously. Lose the free throws and it's what, 66-45? Seriously?

I dont mind bad fouls. i sat through a nova game two years ago and counted 14 against us while replaying it in slo mo. i sat through a gtown game where ao and jackson had 8 of ten of their fouls as bad calls as our two centers. but this was worse. the refs gave them unearned momentum to win the game. Marquette is to good to give that to, especially at home, against a su team that shot 35% in 3 recent losses.

ncaa needs to replay and go national with this disaster.

Close games are won and lost for more than one reason. A -28 discrepancy, (-26 in the second half), in free throws attempted in a 3 point loss seems somehow relevant.
I just can't believe it was contrived. If it was, then we shouldn't even show up for the Big East Tournament. (We = the fans) Let the Big East die on the freakin' vine then. Why give them our money?

I just can't believe it was contrived. If it was, then we shouldn't even show up for the Big East Tournament. (We = the fans) Let the Big East die on the freakin' vine then. Why give them our money?

I certainly can't prove a conspiracy but I can watch the game and read the numbers. Whether there was an agenda or not, it's hard to deny that this game was not fairly officiated.

I certainly can't prove a conspiracy but I can watch the game and read the numbers. Whether there was an agenda or not, it's hard to deny that this game was not fairly officiated.
Ok. :) Just hope the team got some brats out of the trip...I would have said 'beer and brats' but the older I get I forget these are just kids. Didn't mean to be combative. For me I just have to believe the refs were fair. If not why watch any more? Carry on.

For some reason I had no problem with the free throw differential. Maybe it's because we still should have won if our guards would have decided to just not hand the ball to Marquette. The last six minutes was a terrific display of a poorly disciplined team.

the only call that really bothered me was the one on Triche. He drove to the left of the lane and the defender didn't have any position and was sideways. Triche knocked him into next week because he's so strong. It was called a charge.

that was not anywhere near a charge. the defender had no position whatsoever but because triche sent the kid flying he got called for the foul. it was a terrible call.

Have to agree with most here about the officiating last night. Yes, the team's play was not good, but reall neither was Marquette's. The big difference that I could tell in this game was the officiating. Gardner was pushing his weight around and played mostly inside all night and was not called for one foul?? Not saying there was a concerted effort against Cuse, but tough to argue with the numbers in this game. Also, there were at least couple times when our players stood there, with hands up, got bump backwards and were called for fouls. Take away the FT shot and fouls disparity and Cuse wins this oging away even with not playing well...

If DC were 1/2 the player Gardener is right now we'd be a lot better.

My main takeaway from last night is that Coleman should look at Gardner as the player he should try and be.

Granted Gardner had one of the best games of his career last night, but he's still a heck of a player regardless

There were obviously a number of reasons we lost this game, but since this is a thread about Marquette's Junkyard Dog, I'll keep my comment on that line.

First, the jerk in me wants to say that I've never seen a sports bra so cleverly designed to look like a basketball jersey.

Second, I'd like to say that I would never say that to his face.

Early in the game when I saw him bouncing our guys around, I turned to my girlfriend and told her that this guy was going to have one of those Jack Cooley games against us. Little did I know how bad it would be.

I feel the foul discrepancy is one of the aforementioned reasons why we lost the game. Obviously I have orange tinted glases, but when I see our guys get called for a foul by standing straight up with their arms straight up and getting thrown back 10 feet by a flying set of man-t!ts, I get frustrated.

The huge difference in free throws is slightly skewed, however, by the constant fouling of the last minute or so, but even prior to that they had a huge advantage there.

College Basketball is a joke. I was listening to ESPN Radio on my way to take a licensing exam about 2 hours from my apartment yesterday and they made mention of how it's just a horrible product. Mentioned how Syracuse/G'Town and some game involving Kansas were completely unwatchable and these are supposed to be "top teams". Also talked about how there is no flow to games, it's basically glorified rugby with no offense and teams just running down the 35 second shot clock. College Basketball needs to do something because even die hard fans like myself would rather watch a Knicks game than a Syracuse game at this point, especially if I have to watch game after game of clutch and grab on the perimeter, sumo wrestling in the paint and running the shot clock down to single digits every possession.

the only call that really bothered me was the one on Triche. He drove to the left of the lane and the defender didn't have any position and was sideways. Triche knocked him into next week because he's so strong. It was called a charge.

that was not anywhere near a charge. the defender had no position whatsoever but because triche sent the kid flying he got called for the foul. it was a terrible call.

The ones that bothered me were when their player took Triche's legs out on that ball in the backcourt--no call.

Or when their man [J. Wilson?] was trapped near the baseline and they call a touch foul on our guy when we have him cut off from any passing angle.

Or when Gardner blasts into one of our guys and they call a foul.

Worst of all, all of the fouls they called in the second half were seemingly shooting fouls that got them to the line / points.

Or when the refs blow the whistle any time there is a !#@$ spin move.

They played physical, you have to give Marq credit, but anyone who doesn't think there is a disparity yesterday in how the game is officiated is out of their god damned mind. And in a close game, them shooting 26 free throws in the second half to ZERO for us made a huge difference. How the F are they the physical team, and yet they shot all the free throws? It is a joke.

The ones that bothered me were when their player took Triche's legs out on that ball in the backcourt--no call.

This has to be a foul, right? I guess the argument is that they were both going for the ball, but I dunno. (Let's also mention that if Brandon hustled after the ball it probably never happens, but still, a foul is a foul.)

Or when their man [J. Wilson?] was trapped near the baseline and they call a touch foul on our guy when we have him cut off from any passing angle.

This was made worse because it was the fourth on James.

They played physical, you have to give Marq credit, but anyone who doesn't think there is a disparity yesterday in how the game is officiated is out of their god damned mind. And in a close game, them shooting 26 free throws in the second half to ZERO for us made a huge difference. How the F are they the physical team, and yet they shot all the free throws? It is a joke.

You could tell McDonough was really pissed about it.

To be fair, we did shoot all of 2 FT in the second half. And I think 14 of their FT came when we were in foul mode, but still, it'd be 12-2, which is a lot. Marquette was definitely more aggressive though; they should've shot more free throws. I'm not sure that many more though.

In general, you can get away with a lot more on the perimeter defensively than in the paint, it seems. Gardner is a foul drawing machine; there might have been one or two fouls that were bad calls, but for the most part, we just didn't have an answer for him. That's where we really needed Coleman.

Why did he not get T'd up like Fair (for slapping the backboard) when after he dunked the ball, he punched the protective cover under the basket? What is the difference, really?

He was playing for Marquette.

Why did he not get T'd up like Fair (for slapping the backboard) when after he dunked the ball, he punched the protective cover under the basket? What is the difference, really?

Being objective...my only guess is that the backboard is in the court of play and the protective cover is not?

Close, but it's more than likely just that the refs felt bad for a 6' 8" guy who can't jump and touch the backboard.

No I'm not bitter. :)

I'll never understand the whole, I'm hurling myself into the defender but because I'm FAT it's a foul on you thing.
Me neither. I'll also never understand why a ref doesn't think it odd that our centers would jump forward over the out of bounds line when going for every other rebound.

You cant slap the backboard. You just cant. Thats the easiest T an official can call. CJ made a mistake and I think he realized it right away. I had Trob vs Vermont flashbacks.

Me neither. I'll also never understand why a ref doesn't think it odd that our centers would jump forward over the out of bounds line when going for every other rebound.
I'm all for no harm, no foul, but they were literally manhandling our guys. And, since they weren't getting called on it, it got worse as the game went along. We had no answer, except maybe for our own 270 lb guy on the bench.

Being objective...my only guess is that the backboard is in the court of play and the protective cover is not?

I'd assume that doing an action with something that is not in play would actually be worse. I think it's left as a judgment call by the official, and it was a stupid call, and after that a stupid no-call.

You cant slap the backboard. You just cant. Thats the easiest T an official can call. CJ made a mistake and I think he realized it right away. I had Trob vs Vermont flashbacks.
I just don't understand why a player would slap the backboard after a dunk during a game.

I just don't understand why a player would slap the backboard after a dunk during a game.

I saw it immediately and knew he was going to get T'ed up. Gotta use your head there and not do it. Very surprised because CJ is the last person I would have expected that from. I love the enthusiasm but it gave them a free point.

Ok. :) Just hope the team got some brats out of the trip...I would have said 'beer and brats' but the older I get I forget these are just kids. Didn't mean to be combative. For me I just have to believe the refs were fair. If not why watch any more? Carry on.
I had a brat at the game. Maybe the highlight of the evening:)

I'd assume that doing an action with something that is not in play would actually be worse. I think it's left as a judgment call by the official, and it was a stupid call, and after that a stupid no-call.

His T was for hanging on the rim - an automatic T by the rule book. They will give you leeway to "protect yourself" if someone is in the vicinity, But once you slap the backboard it's tough to use the protecting yourself argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom