Garrett Shrader… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader…

The first half, no WR was open. The entire half. All of those runs he made were Bc of really good coverage. This kid has it though. He is a true leader
If only he had the receiving corp that Devito had, because they were always wide open.

Purude had great coverage. Seemed like on about 50% of those QB runs, Shrader stayed in the pocket looking to pass, but nobody was open. Frustrating after how we performed the two preceding games.

Lots to work on this week in film study / practice for the offense.

Oh, and Shrader just makes plays. Seems like the closer it is to crunch time, the more he elevates. He did that a lot last year on late game drives, making throws he didn't make all game long. And he now has basically the equivalent of two walk off TD throws that were game winners.

Whatever "it" is, Shrader has it.

People need to realize that this was a huge step up in competition from Louisville and especially UConn. Purdue has really good players (QB, WR, TE, CB, Oline were all really good) and they played hard. The whole team looked they got smacked in the mouth the first half. They shook it off and came out hard in the 2nd half. Great job.

Last edited:
If only he had the receiving corp that Devito had, because they were always wide open.

Except they were on the sidelines

Shrader is a leader. Leaders find ways to win. He was obviously off yesterday, fought through it and won the game with an amazing throw under pressure.
I think that he is going to set the woods on fire vs Virginia. I expect a great performance out of him next week.

So when Shrader said he wasnt ready to play/wasnt right was he alluding to a comment I saw somewhere else that he was sick this past week? During postgame Q/A he brought that up a couple times in his answers.

Let's hope it was a one game thing. But my fear is the book is now out on him.

His sideline throws last year and this year have been off. He isn't as accurate, the ball often is low or sails too high. Two of his TDs were great outside throws. But the consistency isn't there. He missed a lot yesterday.

But #1 his throws in the middle of the field last year and this have been pretty good. If a team muddies up the middle, they take away his strength. Did Purdue do that? Whatever they were doing Shrader definitely looked confused. I am sure they were mixing the coverages.

But #2 the kid is a gamer. He can be struggling and then bam he makes a big play. That is how despite having a "bad" game he led the O to 25 points.

Another point, I was surprised Anae didn't roll him out some. Shrader seemed stuck in the pocket too often and had a hard time once he decided to run.

His sideline throws last year and this year have been off. He isn't as accurate, the ball often is low or sails too high. Two of his TDs were great outside throws. But the consistency isn't there. He missed a lot yesterday.

But #1 his throws in the middle of the field last year and this have been pretty good. If a team muddies up the middle, they take away his strength. Did Purdue do that? Whatever they were doing Shrader definitely looked confused. I am sure they were mixing the coverages.

But #2 the kid is a gamer. He can be struggling and then bam he makes a big play. That is how despite having a "bad" game he led the O to 25 points.

Another point, I was surprised Anae didn't roll him out some. Shrader seemed stuck in the pocket too often and had a hard time once he decided to run.
He also had people in his face almost every time he dropped back.

I hope Shrader works on his passes to Tucker - both swing passes in the flat and wheel routes.

I get the feeling Shrader doesn’t have much faith in Tucker’s hands so he shot puts some duds rather than the dimes he drops to Gadsden, Jones and Jackson.

I see a certain maturity in Shrader. He always seems to be calm on the field, doesn't go bonkers with silliness when we score and doesn't get flustered when we're behind. I also wish he would run less.
I’m guessing when you fly small planes you get pretty used to remaining calm. A mistake up there is a bit more consequential.

It was the Man coverage... Purdue played it all game instead of a zone. The games before, Shrader shredded zone defense. This game we just weren't getting open enough at all. 2nd have we finally had some answers. I'm not too worried

I’m guessing when you fly small planes you get pretty used to remaining calm. A mistake up there is a bit more consequential.

Friday night I was watching some YouTube videos of ATF recordings of emergencies in the air. The calmness in the pilots’ and controllers’ voices is really something. There’s real life and death emergency and just calm professionalism. Compare that to a coach having a complete meltdowns over something. It’s interesting to see that pilot mentality translate to football.

It was the Man coverage... Purdue played it all game instead of a zone. The games before, Shrader shredded zone defense. This game we just weren't getting open enough at all. 2nd have we finally had some answers. I'm not too worried
We had plenty of guys open he wasn’t seeing them. It was frustrating.

No way. Most of his runs are because he pulled it down and ran. None of them called runs. Tucker is not staying in pass pro, he’s an available receiver. It was there all day but Sharder is not looking. Even If Tucker is just the check down he needs to use him.
Yes. Given that Purdue wasn't covering Tucker on those plays, the coaches should have called for him to be the first or second option, more often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom