Women's Lacrosse - Gary Gait switching sides... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse Gary Gait switching sides...

Good on her! Would like her to remain on staff in any outcome, whether that be with Spallina or Treanor. She has done a good job with the defense-- especially the last two years we have seen a huge improvement. Treanor/Defliese, Spallina/Defliese combo would do some major damage here.

I don't disagree with the optics that Kelly points out. But a couple of things make it ok. His son has committed to Syracuse. This is not necessary to "seal the deal" or anything. The son is as Orange as can be. From all I am hearing Joe is a really great coach and if you remove the son from the picture we would be lucky to have him here. Given all of that, I will put my optic blinders on. Already from an optic standpoint we have taken a coach who was an amazing coach for the women and took them to the brink of a NC with every obstacle thrown his way. So to move him from a successful women's program to the less than successful men's program is fraught with bad optics and the potential thought that men's sports are far superior or more important than women's sports. Once again if Joe Spallina is the best coach out there , then he should get the job regardless of his son, or the alumni affiliation.

A few quick thoughts - I hear ya on the optics issue but keep in mind SU didn't move him to the Mens HC position. From all that I have heard this was offered to Gary through discussions within the AD's office and others and he eagerly accepted. SU did not push him to take it or make it clear he had to.

I do agree with you that if your looking at it from a Womans Lax standpoint the optics could look bad, but he's moving from a women's' program with zero national titles to arguably the greatest Lax program in the modern era. Were not talking about Geno Auriemma going from the womens bball team to Siena or Colgate mens hoops here. Obviously the team has slipped the last 5-6 years but they still beat the national champ this year twice including an absolute blowout.

Lastly I would say that your comment about the optics giving the potential impression/ thought that the mens sports are far superior or important than women's sports is really the reality at the highest end of the D1 P5 level. I wouldn't say superior but it's true that the power mens sports ie bball, fball, and then lax or baseball depending on the school garner more attention and financial backing and importance within the school AD's office then most women's sports save for a few outliers ie Womens bball at UConn etc.

Whoever says that Kayla Treanor isn't ready for a HC gig obviously doesn't know what they're talking about and doesn't watch enough women's lacrosse. Regardless of whether the AD thinks she's too young for a HC job, I think her resume speaks for itself. Not only her legendary career with the orange, she's only been coaching collegiately for 5 years, yet has had so much success. Took a mediocre BC team and made them into a national powerhouse program. Not only has she just won her first national championship, but has taken Sam Apuzzo's and Charlotte North's games to the next level-- so much so, that they went on to win the Tewaaratan Awards in 2018 and 2021. She is the one bringing in that talent to BC. All of the younger generation wants to play for HER! She is ready for a head coaching gig, and what better than for her to come home to her alma matter. Better to strike now before another top program like a Duke WLAX or UVA WLAX comes calling, then it will be harder to get her to leave.

If they cannot get that done then the only logical option is Spallina, if we want to remain a competitive program in the ACC. He has more than proven his worth in the lax world. Not only that, but he has a daughter in 8th grade who plays on varsity that is really good and could very well go #1 in her class just like her brother Joey. She belongs in Orange! There's not a doubt in my mind that Spallina would/could win many NC here in the future.

Some people on here are saying they want Rowan, Tumolo, and Regy-- and although I love and appreciate each of those candidates and all they have done for our program-- if we want to remain an elite program the top two I mentioned are the best bet for the future. lastly, Gait should be advocating for Treanor and Spallina/have some say in the matter. The team next year should be really talented and could very well win a Championship given we have the right coaches on the sidelines.

The problem is kayla is not bc’s head coach. She didnt do any of those things. Another head coach did.

im sure kayla will do great things eventually but she should work her way up the ranks by starting as a hc at a smaller school.

Caitlin Defliese, an assistant coach for the last five seasons, has been named as the women's program's interim head coach. A national search is underway to find Gait's replacement.
The defense has gotten steadily better since she arrived. She is very good. Hoping whoever gets hired retains CD.

The problem is kayla is not bc’s head coach. She didnt do any of those things. Another head coach did.

im sure kayla will do great things eventually but she should work her way up the ranks by starting as a hc at a smaller school.
Yes she did. Her move to BC is what has gotten them to four consecutive national championships, with the fourth year ending in a national championship win. Do you watch women's lacrosse? BC was middle of the pack ACC prior to Treanor's arrival, at best. Sure, you can argue that "it takes a village" but the fact of the matter is AWW and Jenn Kent would not have that program in the place it is right now without KT. Of course, just my opinion but KT is the one drawing the talent to BC. The kids want to play for her. AWW is just the face of that program.

As for Katie Rowan goes, she has done an exceptional job at UAlbany, but she is not going to get the job. If she was winning AE championships every year, then maybe I wouldn't be so hesitant --but Joe Spallina has beaten her every time. Her defense needs a lot of work done for that to happen.

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

Yes she did. Her move to BC is what has gotten them to four consecutive national championships, with the fourth year ending in a national championship win. Do you watch women's lacrosse? BC was middle of the pack ACC prior to Treanor's arrival, at best. Sure, you can argue that "it takes a village" but the fact of the matter is AWW and Jenn Kent would not have that program in the place it is right now without KT. Of course, just my opinion but KT is the one drawing the talent to BC. The kids want to play for her. AWW is just the face of that program.

As for Katie Rowan goes, she has done an exceptional job at UAlbany, but she is not going to get the job. If she was winning AE championships every year, then maybe I wouldn't be so hesitant --but Joe Spallina has beaten her every time. Her defense needs a lot of work done for that to happen.

thats a bold statement giving kayla all the credit and im sure kayla would do great but doing it as an assistant and a hc are two different things. Thats a lot to entrust in a 27 year old.

also joes been there since 2012 and katie arrived in 2018. I think katie was coach of the year in thr conference.

thats a bold statement giving kayla all the credit and im sure kayla would do great but doing it as an assistant and a hc are two different things. Thats a lot to entrust in a 27 year old.
If she ever had any questions, Gait is only a few doors down (don't really know how far their doors are away from each other, but you get the point) LOL :) I'm sure Kayla will be just fine as HC.

If she ever had any questions, Gait is only a few doors down (don't really know how far their doors are away from each other, but you get the point) LOL :) I'm sure Kayla will be just fine as HC.

i would only wish her the best, but id assume other candidates are getting serious looks, hopefully w more experience

i would only wish her the best, but id assume other candidates are getting serious looks, hopefully w more experience

Could we hire (insert really qualified person’s name here) and try to bring Kayla in as an AC here?

Gotta imagine we can pay her more than BC does, and then she could be the de facto HCIW for the Women’s Lax team.

Could we hire (insert really qualified person’s name here) and try to bring Kayla in as an AC here?

Gotta imagine we can pay her more than BC does, and then she could be the de facto HCIW for the Women’s Lax team.

sure, why not, but im not sure she would be a hciw if there is another young coach hired.

Wildhack said that SU is in the process of vetting candidates for the vacant women's lacrosse head coach position. Declined to give a specific timeline, but said that the candidates to date are "outstanding."

NOTE: Both Kayla Treanor and Michelle Tumolo are in Maryland this week trying out for the Women's National Team.

Wildhack said that SU is in the process of vetting candidates for the vacant women's lacrosse head coach position. Declined to give a specific timeline, but said that the candidates to date are "outstanding."

NOTE: Both Kayla Treanor and Michelle Tumolo are in Maryland this week trying out for the Women's National Team.

The key moment was when Gait was asked if his replacement should be an alumnus and he danced around it and a coach speak way said no. Joe Spallina come on down.

His press conference, as new Men’s HC, included the statement,
”I look forward to the day when we both can raise the national championship.Hopefully that can be very soon.”

2AE2B1DB-1309-4ACC-AB1F-E86CAEB8E1D0.gif

Gary’s replacement search is ongoing; let’s come together to support his successor!

4A2D2310-9C90-4B6D-A942-BDF947550ADD.jpeg

Last edited:

This podcast just posted. Discussion on the job opening with Halley Griggs and Alyssa Murray Cometti. ~16min mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom