Gary Gait! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Gait clearly has some excellent coaching skills given the success of the women’s team. Clearly strong with team culture management, in game management, and things of that nature. I just worry that this is not a strong enough higher given the nature of the modern men’s game, with the way the game is played going through such heavy changes and the competition at the top being sky high.

The refrain from Desko haters is always “the game past him by” but now we bring in a guy for the defense who was fired from his position for the exact same reasons. While Gary is certainly one of the most knowledgeable guys in the world when it comes to modern developments in the women’s game, he has not lived and breathed and coached through the changes in the men’s. Obviously hope he proves me wrong but I am a little pessimistic. But also feeling very excited because change!

He's Gary Gait. Enough doors should open on its own.
Most recruits' parents weren't even married (or had even met) when GG played his last game in college.

The only doors that will be opened are from HS coaches who played around the same time.

Now will that make a difference? Who knows? It just might. I just have a hard time believing most HS kids today know who GG is, other than from old-timers speak glowingly about him, and that he coaches the Women's team.

Don't get me wrong. I fervently hope this is a good move. I pray this is a good move. I'm just not sold.

I can say with 100% certainty that's not what happened.
Glad you both have inside info, but I will never believe his actions in the Scanlon episode played no role.

1623022675439.gif

Glad you both have inside info, but I will never believe his actions in the Scanlon episode played no role.

Keep in mind Desko didn't make his decision in aa vacuum, he was guided from up top and title 9
Yeah, Jeremy, not sure what people (even though it has been explained over and over again) don't get about this.

Most recruits' parents weren't even married (or had even met) when GG played his last game in college.

The only doors that will be opened are from HS coaches who played around the same time.

Now will that make a difference? Who knows? It just might. I just have a hard time believing most HS kids today know who GG is, other than from old-timers speak glowingly about him, and that he coaches the Women's team.

Don't get me wrong. I fervently hope this is a good move. I pray this is a good move. I'm just not sold.

That's kind of how I feel. He's one of the best ever, but that was awhile ago. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

The fact that he is Gary Gait is not a positive on its own. The main positive he has going for him is his considerable success as a head coach in the women’s game. Being an all time elite player is not a golden ticket to elite coaching. It’s not like that for basketball or football and it’s not like that for lax.

My kid plays but more importantly I’m around a lot of parents whose kids play at big high school programs - men’s and women. And college now. They talk about Gait like he’s a god.

I’ll preface this by noting that I know very little about lacrosse. My 14 year old plays it, and a ton of the coaches in both his town and club programs are former college players, as are nearly all of the local high school coaches. I imagine to a man they all revere Gait.

I doubt any high schoolers know most any lacrosse player older than 25, given the weakness of the pro game. But like you said, all their coaches do, and I have to think precisely none of them will not take a call from Gait.

I don’t know if Gait will be good, but we had to do something. I went to the final four last weekend, and it was so damn depressing to know that SU hadn’t appeared in one in 12 years. Just not acceptable for a program like ours. Change was needed.

Overall agree with this, but I will say if there was one single player who played the college game around 1990 that current recruits would know, it would be him by a mile. He is without question at the very top of most famous players from the older era. Would not be entirely unfair to call him the Michael Jordan of lacrosse when it comes to fame. I think a high percentage of recruits are somewhat familiar. If anyone even has one conversation with an adult about good players from back in the day, they know his name.

My kid plays but more importantly I’m around a lot of parents whose kids play at big high school programs - men’s and women. And college now. They talk about Gait like he’s a god.
Yup. He’s a known commodity and a God-like figure in the game. Plus it’s Syracuse lacrosse. Our issue hasn’t been necessarily getting the best talent. It’s been other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom