Gary Gait! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Holy crap and now is that Petro part going to be true as well?

1623020830318.png

We replace Desko with a gamble. A major major gamble. Were we in such bad shape that we needed to go gambling like this next year? My opinion is no.
I can understand where people could equate this to letting Coach P go in football. Nothing wrong with the program. Just not being at the next level. Lets hope the Lax program responds much better than the football program.

Gait coming off of one of his best seasons from a coaching standpoint with the women, and things looked to be falling into place. He was pretty much primed to make another strong run at a title next season. Not sure why he would flip on the girls like that? Especially since he basically said that he wasn't going to quit until he won a championship with them. If these sources are true, I wish him all the luck with the men's team.

But cant help but to worry about the women's team? Who takes over? If the rumors of Joe Spallina or Kayla Treanor are true, I would be elated with both scenarios. Both very great coaches who would do absolute damage here with the women's team given they had the right personnel along side them. Not sure which one of them becomes the next HC, but in either case I would like Caitlin Defliese to remain defensive coordinator. Do we retain Pirecca as well? For someone who ran his mouth about her before the season even started, I thought that she did really well for her first year coaching. Also, if Kayla Treanor becomes the new HC can she flip Charlotte North to come with her? I have too many questions lol.

Gait coming off of one of his best seasons from a coaching standpoint with the women, and things looked to be falling into place. He was pretty much primed to make another strong run at a title next season. Not sure why he would flip on the girls like that? Especially since he basically said that he wasn't going to quit until he won a championship with them. If these sources are true, I wish him all the luck with the men's team.

But cant help but to worry about the women's team? Who takes over? If the rumors of Joe Spallina or Kayla Treanor are true, I would be elated with both scenarios. Both very great coaches who would do absolute damage here with the women's team given they had the right personnel along side them. Not sure which one of them becomes the next HC, but in either case I would like Caitlin Defliese to remain defensive coordinator. Do we retain Pirecca as well? For someone who ran his mouth about her before the season even started, I thought that she did really well for her first year coaching. Also, if Kayla Treanor becomes the new HC can she flip Charlotte North to come with her? I have too many questions lol.
I am dying to hear what the current women’s players think of this.

Not sure I like this hire. Desko deserves a farewell tour.
No inside knowledge, but if true, it is probably not performance. It is most likely because Desko over reached and stepped in it reinstating Scanlon. He caused embarrassment to the AD and the university. That will get you let go every time.

I am dying to hear what the current women’s players think of this.
Likewise, if I could bet anything -- I'd say a mixed bag of emotions, more towards the angry side since some of them have already announced they're coming back for their extra year of eligibility. If I were them, the only way I would be okay with this is if Gait sets them up for success on his way out to make sure they win next year. The only two HC that should be considered is Spallina and Treanor. That's it. Anything less, and I'm not sure where the program will head.

I am just wondering did Desko decide to retire or was he told it’s time to “retire”?

No matter what he had an outstanding career and hopefully Gait does well.

The women’s program should be fine as long as they hire one of the obvious candidates.

Not what happened with Scanlon
I still think the primary reason is the implosion of the defensive "system" from UNC through Georgetown. The coaches (Desko and Rogers) seemed helpless to stop the bleeding. Desko had ultimate authority and couldn't seem to make the required adjustments or changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom