Gatorade bath | Syracusefan.com

Gatorade bath

13mike13

Walk On
I'll admit that I have been a Marrone apologist for years. However, we saw some things last night that I submit justify DM's existence, justify all the recent calls for patience, and justify an extension NOW. Do these kids play hard for him (and the staff)? Hard to deny that the answer is "yes" after having seen the bare knuckle brawl approach those kids took into the second half last night, despite the deficit. That whole scene could have gone south in a hurry, and it didn't because of focus and effort by the players. Someone is doing a great job in that locker room on the leadership front. I imagine it is a strong combination of staff and players pulling that off together. Is there an identifiable offensive game plan/scheme being operated that is both appealing and sustainable? Looks like it, and the numbers don't lie. Can you even imagine what this will look like with some real burners on the outside, a mobile QB, and Sugarbear Thompson roaming the middle of the field? We are still WELL short of anything anyone could conclude to be dominating talent, but that help may be on its way in the form of redshirts, early entry QB(s), and the return next year of a couple of injured players. Lastly, and perhaps more importantly, do the kids like playing for DM? Did you see them dump Gatorade on his head as he walked off the field? I love the fact that he immediately seemed pissed at that--even though I would bet in hindsight, someday, maybe years from now he will look back and admit he loved it. Point is this--players don't dump Gatorade on the head of a coach they don't both like and respect. Awesome game all around. Awesome result. Recruiting high character kids, most of whom were elected captains of their former high school teams, builds resilient teams--and we saw that last night.

I'll admit that this staff needs to continue to get better at managing in-game decisions, etc. But by all accounts their recruiting message is squarely on target--how else can one explain us getting the kids we recently have against the backdrop of where this program has been the last seven or eight years? I maintain that the staff is routinely out scheming the opposition (read: better coaching). In the end, I'm more convinced now than ever that this whole terribly frustrating "process" we all have endured over the last five years will shake out, and what will be left is a respected, successful program filled with hard-nosed kids who play football the correct way, and graduate. Bowl or no bowl this year, what more can we all really ask for?

The Gatorade dump was hilarious. They had to bob and weave through the mass of humanity to get him. They almost missed him.

The Gatorade dump was hilarious. They had to bob and weave through the mass of humanity to get him. They almost missed him.

I hope this isn't what the players meant by having the coaches back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom