Gbinije's play last 5 games | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije's play last 5 games

Henny & Coke

2nd String
Really liked the way Mike Gbinije's been playing recently (with a few notable exceptions that have already been discussed). Some stats from his last five games (Against: Michigan, St. Johns, L. Tech, Nova & Colgate):

30.2 MPG,
Shooting 21-39 from field (539% FG, with 364% 3PT),
Getting to the free throw line more often, but not shooting well while there: 8-15 total (just 533%),
Averaging 5.0 rebounds per game,
3.6 assists per game
1.4 steals per game,
1.8 turnovers per game could get better (including some crushing ones),
Averaging 10.8 points per game last 5 games.

In particular, the 1st half of the Villanova game was extremely encouraging - as I watched Mike grab some key defensive rebounds (one he skyed for & it def would have gone to Nova player otherwise), hit some big shots (3pters & mid-range shots)...but, most importantly, I see that Mike is adding a much, much needed dimension to Syracuse's offensive game right now...and that is his ability to attack off the dribble/drive into the lane aggressively to make plays, either finishing himself (and sometimes getting the foul too), or making a nice pass to hit an open guy for an easy bucket.

If Mike can continue to be aggressive in this area particularly (making plays with his dribble-drive), this would go a long way to helping Syracuse achieve greater offensive performance. Even when the end result is not positive (if he misses shot/dunk, doesn't get foul call, turns ball over), I will continue to encourage Mike to be aggressive & attempt those plays, as its def an area where we've been lacking lately. Being aggressive & taking action to the opponent has great benefits overall & Syracuse offense is at its best when we have players that can take it to rim/make plays.

Overall I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing from Mike, like how he can impact the game even when not directly involved (rebounding & doing little things on court that heady players do) & I'm really glad we have another year after this one to continue to watch his game progress. I think he plays a smart brand of basketball (again, with 1-2 big exceptions/bonehead plays already discussed).

Really liked the way Mike Gbinije's been playing recently (with a few notable exceptions that have already been discussed). Some stats from his last five games (Against: Michigan, St. Johns, L. Tech, Nova & Colgate):

30.2 MPG,
Getting to the free throw line more often, but not shooting well while there: 8-15 total (just 533%),
3.6 assists per game
1.4 steals per game,

In particular, the 1st half of the Villanova game was extremely encouraging - as I watched Mike grab some key defensive rebounds (one he skyed for & it def would have gone to Nova player otherwise), hit some big shots (3pters & mid-range shots)...but, most importantly, I see that Mike is adding a much, much needed dimension to Syracuse's offensive game right now...and that is his ability to attack off the dribble/drive into the lane aggressively to make plays, either finishing himself (and sometimes getting the foul too), or making a nice pass to hit an open guy for an easy bucket.

If Mike can continue to be aggressive in this area particularly (making plays with his dribble-drive), this would go a long way to helping Syracuse achieve greater offensive performance. Even when the end result is not positive (if he misses shot/dunk, doesn't get foul call, turns ball over), I will continue to encourage Mike to be aggressive & attempt those plays, as its def an area where we've been lacking lately. Being aggressive & taking action to the opponent has great benefits overall & Syracuse offense is at its best when we have players that can take it to rim/make plays.

Overall I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing from Mike, like how he can impact the game even when not directly involved (rebounding & doing little things on court that heady players do) & I'm really glad we have another year after this one to continue to watch his game progress. I think he plays a smart brand of basketball (again, with 1-2 big exceptions/bonehead plays already discussed).
Great post and wholeheartedly agree!

I wonder what our record would be if Gbinije and Cooney started the year like they have played the last two weeks.

Yeah, would have been nice if they started year out like this for sure. Crazy to think we have both these guys back next year too tho, huh? That is some valuable returning experience in those two alone. Sprinkle in 4 more recruits all with top 50 talent, and that's a mix I'm excited for.

Gbinije playing like he is now is quite the development. Honestly, it's possible I didn't even realize he was capable of playing like this - today's performance (granted, only watched 2nd half and looking at box score, so I may have it wrong) suggests he may have a higher ceiling than I previously gave him credit for:

24 points on 10-13 shooting, including 4-6 from 3pt; 8 assists, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 3 turnovers - that is a damn impressive stat line

I'm hoping that this is an indication that Mike is talented enough to play ball like this more regularly - that maybe it just took him a long time to get completely comfortable with his role here at Syracuse, considering he was asked to learn 2-3 different positions (SF, PG, SG?), in addition to learning his responsibilities in the zone defense...plus, maybe his more passive nature made for a longer transition time period to him feeling completely comfortable with his role on the team?

Because if G can begin to have more games like this one, I may need to revise (upward) my expectations for what this team may be capable of.

Agreeing on the same thing...

This team still needs a go to guy off the dribble other then rak. Joseph can create, but there will be a few games like nova where cooney and g aren't going to get many open looks from outside. And by a few I mean 3-5 minimum in acc play alone. Teams like Louisville, and Duke, will be tough outs with good perimieter D, its very possible they won't give us more then 6-8 catch and shoot looks and only 2-3 of those may be really open. Heck Nova only gave us 5 the second half and they were all josephs.

imo, Cooney and G can bring alittle off the dribble, But, if they each can up it to 5-6 more buckets a game even it will help. And that alone might not even be enough on a night we aren't getting any halfcourt transition. Even more so because roberson and MccCullough aren't to tough inside.

Last edited:
He's really played some outstanding ball recently. It's great to see it.

I wonder what our record would be if Gbinije and Cooney started the year like they have played the last two weeks.
Cal is the only game we should have lost. I don't care what the St.John's score was, we gave that one away.

Cusefan0307 said:

They couldn't start this way because this is a different team now. We have a long way to go too but players are slowly learning their roles and the youngins getting some experience. Basketball is a team game and unless you are a true superstar, the play of others can affect your game. We had 2 players who had experience AND were playing the same position/role. And even those 2, Cooney and Rak had a heightened role with Grant, Fair and Ennis gone. This team is growing together.

Silent G is the best player on the team. He can handle the rock. He can dish it. He can drive it. He can shoot it. He can board it. He has the potential to play in the league at the 2. He has been inconsistent for sure, but really how much has this kid played in the last there years? He is just starting to get regular run.

That's the kind of glue guy stuff we were hoping for.

I dont know, saying someone is a glue guy is like saying a QB is a good game manager. Its sort of a back handed compliment.

Silent G is the best player on the team. He can handle the rock. He can dish it. He can drive it. He can shoot it. He can board it. He has the potential to play in the league at the 2. He has been inconsistent for sure, but really how much has this kid played in the last there years? He is just starting to get regular run.

I don't know about "best player," but it is in our best interest as a team for him to be in the top 3. And with his play the last couple of games, he's stepped into that role, provided the team with a much needed infusion of scoring / outside shooting, to say nothing of his ability to get to the hole, his ball handling versatility, etc.

Very positive development.

I dont know, saying someone is a glue guy is like saying a QB is a good game manager. Its sort of a back handed compliment.
Fair enough.

30.2 MPG,
3.6 assists per game
1.4 steals per game,

G has been terrific lately.

From yesterday's article on game:

"Gbinije gives them another dimension they haven't had. I thought he was the difference," Long Beach State coach Dan Monson said. "He spread us out, kind of broke it open."

"He's been playing well," SU coach Jim Boeheim said. "He can play that good all the time."

In SU's last three games, the junior guard/forward is averaging 18 points, six rebounds and five assists per game. He's converted 21 of his 35 field-goal attempts (60 percent) and sank 7-of-12 (58 percent) from the 3-point line.

On Sunday, those numbers were personified by plays like this: He tip-slammed a Tyler Roberson miss to inch SU to within 19-17, then after Trevor Cooney sank a 3-point shot, Gbinije followed with a 3-ball of his own.

He lobbed the ball for Rakeem Christmas, who finished to put SU ahead 32-25, then accepted a pass from Ron Patterson's penetration to knock down a 3-point shot.

Gbinije used his 6-foot-6, 200-pound frame to bulldoze into the lane and either finish the play or find a teammate lurking inside.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._of_his_career_vs_lbsu_he_was_the_differ.html

Sounds like G is really initiating positive developments in our offense. Def what this team needed - a guy who can drive with the basketball & either dish or make things happen himself. JB seems to think that Mike can play at a similar high level more often. Let's hope he's right!

I don't know what to make of G, but I really really like what I've seen the last few games. It isn't often you see a guy make that kind of jump between seasons much less at the quarter pole within a season. I hope he keeps playing like he has been because he makes a huge difference. Now, if we can just get Chris going we might start to look like a tournament team.

From yesterday's article on game:

"Gbinije gives them another dimension they haven't had. I thought he was the difference," Long Beach State coach Dan Monson said. "He spread us out, kind of broke it open."

"He's been playing well," SU coach Jim Boeheim said. "He can play that good all the time."

In SU's last three games, the junior guard/forward is averaging 18 points, six rebounds and five assists per game. He's converted 21 of his 35 field-goal attempts (60 percent) and sank 7-of-12 (58 percent) from the 3-point line.

On Sunday, those numbers were personified by plays like this: He tip-slammed a Tyler Roberson miss to inch SU to within 19-17, then after Trevor Cooney sank a 3-point shot, Gbinije followed with a 3-ball of his own.

He lobbed the ball for Rakeem Christmas, who finished to put SU ahead 32-25, then accepted a pass from Ron Patterson's penetration to knock down a 3-point shot.

Gbinije used his 6-foot-6, 200-pound frame to bulldoze into the lane and either finish the play or find a teammate lurking inside.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._of_his_career_vs_lbsu_he_was_the_differ.html

Sounds like G is really initiating positive developments in our offense. Def what this team needed - a guy who can drive with the basketball & either dish or make things happen himself. JB seems to think that Mike can play at a similar high level more often. Let's hope he's right!

Spot on. For the first 7-8 games of the season, we got basically nothing from the 3 spot, between Roberson, Gbinije, and Johnson. Yes, each had their moments--but certainly nothing consistent.

The last couple of games, Gbinije has really nailed things down. That is one of the most important developments for this team, IMO--we're now getting production, shooting, scoring, and versatility from the 3 spot, whereas it was a hole earlier on in the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom